CONCERNS ALL who have/are living with college age females

Options
Hi everyone,
I am coming to you all because I need insight into what amount I should really be consuming. I am a 20 year old female who is 5'1.75" and trying to maintain my frame after I have gained some weight. Basically I was honestly wondering what do other girls around my age eat to maintain who just really don't count calories religiously. I know people on this sight must be aware of others around them. Please share your awareness to help me out. Thanks :)

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a bit younger than you (almost 16) but about your height, and she isn't growing any more. A couple of years ago she was a bit overweight, and the dietician (on referral from pediatrician) suggested 1600-1800 calories. She's now down to around 125 lbs (hourglass figure, not a skinny girl) and doesn't track calories anymore but I'd guess she eats around 2000 a day or so.

Her day is generally 1 cup of cereal for breakfast (we have mostly whole-grain, low sugar choices) with skim milk, lunch at school (most often deli sandwich plus fruits, veggies, some sort of side and skim milk again), afternoon snack of fruit, bread/toast, or something similar (depending on what's available at home) and a moderate dinner of whatever the family eats, and another cup of skim milk. Our dinners are quite varied, but usually some sort of meat, a starchy side, and a vegetable. There's usually some sort of dessert available, too, and again she generally has just 1 serving. She doesn't weigh herself often any more, but goes by how her clothes fit. (She's also only lightly active most of the time, I'm trying to work on that part).

We rarely go out to eat, or even grab burgers or pizza. The goal here, I think, is to try to fill most of the day with nutrient-dense choices but leave room for treats, too.

I don't know if I actually answered what you're looking for, but I hope it helps, or at least gives you some sort of starting point. It may be helpful for you to track calories for a few months so you get used to how it feels to eat within a decent calorie amount, but if you just want to maintain your weight, once you get used to portions and such, it may work to go with more "intuitive" eating (as you stated it in another post)
  • zoek23
    zoek23 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks so much for the response. It does help give me some idea of what a typical day is like. I feel very stuck with eating the same foods a lot. Labeling things as good and bad foods. I am trying to be more flexible but actually am someone who can't risk the act of undereating, which has occured in the past when I don't track calories or exchanges. Trying to not have my world revolve around food like it has for so many years.
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    Try surrounding yourself with other girls your age/frame/weight. Spend a couple days with them, and observe their habits?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor/nutritionist about this? I am assuming from your use of the word 'exchanges' and some other bits, that you have or have had an ED ?
  • zoek23
    Options
    Yes I have dealt with an ED in the past but am at a point where I want to move on from such rigid structure and my nutritionist agrees it could really help me. Any tips on how to aclimate to some less structured but good eating habits?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the response. It does help give me some idea of what a typical day is like. I feel very stuck with eating the same foods a lot. Labeling things as good and bad foods. I am trying to be more flexible but actually am someone who can't risk the act of undereating, which has occured in the past when I don't track calories or exchanges. Trying to not have my world revolve around food like it has for so many years.

Oh, hey, don't do that. Labeling foods is a bad idea, and means nothing for weight. Let me give you an example.

I'm 5'3". At your age, I ate in my dorm room because the cafeteria food was just bad. Not that my food was great, but it did taste better than theirs, which is scary.

Breakfast: I'd usually microwave a packet of flavored instant oatmeal and add ~1/4 C of skim milk (I prefer skim).

Lunch: One of the following: a microwaveable Dinty Moore beef stew serving; a single serving packet of tuna that came with crackers, a packet of mayo and a packet of relish; a microwaveable Wolf brand chili serving; couple of slices of bread with 5-6 thin slices of deli meat, etc.

Dinner: Whatever delivery was on tap for the day. Might be 4-6 pizza rolls (equivalent of 4-6 slices of pizza) dipped in ranch dressing. Those were usually reserved for intense study sessions. More commonly, it would be a half dozen chicken fingers with sides (similar to KFC), or a grilled chicken sandwich with lots of mayo. Sometimes I'd eat from the same selection as for lunch.

Dessert: None, usually. Occasionally, less than once a month, we'd walk to the Baskin Robbins and get a couple of scoops just because.

My campus was not one where you could drive between classes easily, and this was before you could bring a digital text to class. Before laptops were cheap enough or light enough to be practical, too. So I did a ton of walking carrying heavy textbooks and notebooks.

I lost 10 pounds that year, and I wasn't overweight to start. Also grew an inch and a half, oddly enough - my regular length jeans became capris :)

ETA - I don't recommend following my diet back then. It was obviously pretty poor, not balanced, not enough nutrients, etc. But you can see that even eating pretty exclusively what is commonly thought of as 'junk' is not going to keep you from losing weight if you're not eating too much overall.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    well one should really scrap the bad food period?

zero processed food - its the only way to get a six pack.

Looking fit is 95% about what you consume, the other 3%is strength training, 1% cardio, 1% supplements.

edit: corrected good - food.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Looking fit is 95% about what you consume, the other 3%is strength training, 1% cardio, 1% supplements.

This is wrong, but hilarious.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

^sigh.. I guess its true some people don't have to work as hard for it cause of genetics and stuff.

as I was, in my case however this is what brought on the six pack - trying to eat processed food would mess with my discipline and I'd keep munching - so I don't even have them in the house.

and fivethreeone - your about as fit and sexy as a women can get - what would you say is the accurate way to state it?
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options

^sigh.. I guess its true some people don't have to work as hard for it cause of genetics and stuff.

as I was, in my case however this is what brought on the six pack - trying to eat processed food would mess with my discipline and I'd keep munching - so I don't even have them in the house.

and fivethreeone - your about as fit and sexy as a women can get - what would you say is the accurate way to state it?

bahahahahahahahaahahahaha this is gold!
  • fivethreeone
    Options

Oh, I see. "Your way" is "the only way."

In that case, the accurate way to state it would best be determined by you.

I apologize for not understanding the power dynamic here. Too little energy going to my brain, too much to my moosels. I'm sure you understand. But thank you!!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    So I'm 34...and went to college awhile ago...before MFP. I lost 30lbsin hs, gained the freshman "10" (not 15), and then over the course of the next 3 years, lost about 35lbs. I didn't count calories, I didn't have a smartphone or apps. I used common sense when eating, walked EVERYWHERE, exercised on a mostly regular basis.

Applying pretty much the same principles, I have had 2 kids...and weigh less and am 2 sizes smaller than the day I graduated from college.

Common sense ideas for food: cut out soda, cut back on sugar, eat protein, moderate alcohol consumption, eat your veggies. You can find plenty of healthy options at any dining hall.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    my daughter is 18 abt 5'3" and maybe 117# - hourglass figure - active but doesn't necessarily watch what she eats - or at least not til recently as she had hypoglycemia and has to watch her blood sugars.

Breakfast - some crackers or toast with PB - PB is her best friend these days.

Lunch - leftovers around the house - grabs a burger/chicken sandwich and fries - or one of her favorites - RAMEN.

Snack - cheese, yogurt, crackers, whatever - she has to snack

Dinner -whatver the family eats - usually meat, starch, veggie, salad, sometimes bread. Just think 'normal family dinner' She usually only eats one portion - unless she is just 'starving' then goes for seconds.

Snack - that girl always has something sweet hidden in her room - chocolate usually -but also goes for chips or out for ice cream - just depends.

Her thing is that she is relatively active - she works, goes to class - and then still plays golf or tennis, or goes out with friends, etc.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

When I was in college, I was a lot more active due to living off campus and riding my bike/walking everywhere so I probably ate well over 2000. I remember doing stuff like weight watchers and being STARVING on their point allowance and dropping weight pretty quickly and I think at the time they were allowing me roughly 1800-2200 (if you calculate it out)

I'm a bit taller than you though - I think 2k is a good place to start, but everyone's caloric needs are different and its not about age so much as what your activity and lifestyle are like. Try that for a couple months and track your weight and intake weekly then just see what happens.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Nutellabrah, is that you?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

:huh:

Translation:

No processed food + very hard work = six pack

Processed food + not much effort = six pack

Someone pass the pringles and m&ms, please.:laugh: Oh, nevermind. I'm not genetically gifted.:frown:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The freshman 15 is generally the result of alcohol, pizza, fast food, and fried food from the cafeteria. I'd start by keeping those "food groups" to a minimum.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Instead of people making fun of you with lack of explanation. let me help.

This is taken from the facebook page IIFYM women: "
    Many of us have fallen victim to the myth of “clean eating” and restriction diets as a way to diet and live. Clean eating is just that- a myth! There is no such thing as a clean or dirty food, and clean eating will not help you lose weight. Restrictive diets that cut out massive amounts of calories and/or foods and food groups only lead to misery,regaining lost weight after ending the diet, and generally feeling horrible. These diets are not sustainable! Yes, you will only lose weight with a calorie deficit. BUT- WEIGHT LOSS IS ALL ABOUT CALORIES IN VERSUS CALORIES OUT, not the composition of said calories (which is why you CAN still eat great food)! "

Also, there is technically no right answer of how much calories one can eat for every person. Everyone is different. The keypoint is finding what you need. This is why finding out the TDEE and the calorie counting on app is so popular. People are finding out what works for them and eating at a deficit while expending more energy which creates weight loss.

clean eating may be working for you because before while you were eating "processed" you were not moderating as much compared to how you are presently eating clean and now see that 6 pack abs.

this might be what you were getting at but phrased it wrong and now people are being sarcastic because this is the internet and it's easy to be rude without a face. ;)
  • fivethreeone
    Options
    <

Has a face.

Is rude anyway.

(I mean, not in this case. But sometimes.)

Instead of people making fun of you with lack of explanation. let me help.

This is taken from the facebook page IIFYM women: "
    Many of us have fallen victim to the myth of “clean eating” and restriction diets as a way to diet and live. Clean eating is just that- a myth! There is no such thing as a clean or dirty food, and clean eating will not help you lose weight. Restrictive diets that cut out massive amounts of calories and/or foods and food groups only lead to misery,regaining lost weight after ending the diet, and generally feeling horrible. These diets are not sustainable! Yes, you will only lose weight with a calorie deficit. BUT- WEIGHT LOSS IS ALL ABOUT CALORIES IN VERSUS CALORIES OUT, not the composition of said calories (which is why you CAN still eat great food)! "

Also, there is technically no right answer of how much calories one can eat for every person. Everyone is different. The keypoint is finding what you need. This is why finding out the TDEE and the calorie counting on app is so popular. People are finding out what works for them and eating at a deficit while expending more energy which creates weight loss.

clean eating may be working for you because before while you were eating "processed" you were not moderating as much compared to how you are presently eating clean and now see that 6 pack abs.

this might be what you were getting at but phrased it wrong and now people are being sarcastic because this is the internet and it's easy to be rude without a face. ;)
  • zoek23
    Options
    my daughter is 18 abt 5'3" and maybe 117# - hourglass figure - active but doesn't necessarily watch what she eats - or at least not til recently as she had hypoglycemia and has to watch her blood sugars.

Breakfast - some crackers or toast with PB - PB is her best friend these days.

Lunch - leftovers around the house - grabs a burger/chicken sandwich and fries - or one of her favorites - RAMEN.

Snack - cheese, yogurt, crackers, whatever - she has to snack

Dinner -whatver the family eats - usually meat, starch, veggie, salad, sometimes bread. Just think 'normal family dinner' She usually only eats one portion - unless she is just 'starving' then goes for seconds.

Snack - that girl always has something sweet hidden in her room - chocolate usually -but also goes for chips or out for ice cream - just depends.

Her thing is that she is relatively active - she works, goes to class - and then still plays golf or tennis, or goes out with friends, etc.

Oh this helps me so much to really open my eyes to reality. I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. Just wanted you to know that you have helped me understand regular eating habits a lot better!