How many calories should I be eating to lose weight?

Options
A little bit about me: I'm an 18 year old girl, I'm 5 ft 2, and I currently weigh somewhere between 148-152 lbs. I haven't weighed myself lately (I don't have a scale, probably a good thing), but I've been this weight for a while and decided to do something about it earlier this month. My goal weight is 120 lbs. I want to lose between 1 and 2 lbs a week with a total weight loss of about 30 lbs.

I'm on summer break and since I don't currently have a job and spend a good amount of my time on my computer writing, I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but I started working out at the gym (using the elliptical machines and treadmills) last Thursday, doing an hour long work out each time. I plan on going 6 days a week. Today I started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, so I'll be doing that on top of my hour long cardio sessions each day. I like to run, so I'll go out and run a trail once or twice a week, too.

I've had my calorie goal at 1200 but after some research, I noticed a LOT of people don't suggest eating so little. I do eat my exercise calories back, but still. I have a feeling it won't be enough with my workouts.

So how many should I be eating to still lose weight and not feel like I'm slowly dying by the end of the day? I need energy to get me through these workouts and I dont want to be a total grouch all day lol.

Thoughts??

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Plug in your info and activity level into MFP. Follow it from there.
  • theflamingpopsicle
    theflamingpopsicle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I first plugged in my info it asked me for net calorie goal though, and I just figured 1200 was a good number.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    When I first plugged in my info it asked me for net calorie goal though, and I just figured 1200 was a good number.

Let MFP set it for you. Don't set your own. 1,200 is too low.
    To put it into perspective, I started at 148 and my goal is 120. As you can see from my ticker, I'm already 16lbs down, and I started 85 days ago. I had mine set to a .5lb/week (I didn't want to restrict calories too much), and I've lost consistently under it.

2lbs a week is going to be too rigorous for your goals. This makes its way around the forums frequently:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • theflamingpopsicle
    Options
    I set mine to 1 lb a week and MFP set it to 1270 calories which isn't much better. I feel like that's a low number but at the same time, I want to have a weight loss of 1 lb/week. I'm not sure if I'm better off following it or setting it to .5lb/week which bumps it up to 1520 calories.
  • tssomerville6113
    tssomerville6113 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I set mine to lose 1 lb a week and its 1250 calories.... most day i am eating between over my diet 1300-1500 . on my over day i can have as many calories as 1700-1900 but over all My goal is never to go over 2000 calories. I have lost anywhere from 2-3 lbs a week. Its all about not have a 3 1700-1900 calories days in a row.

I also think it depends on how much you were eating before you started dieting.... i was eating anywhere 2500-3000 a day before i started my diet. I wanted to change my lifestyle so i set very flexible goals and every week i strive to do better than the week before that.

I have cut out alot of caffeine from my diet as well. Which has helped with my over all heath in general.
  • theflamingpopsicle
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind! I also was eating around 2500-3000 a day before, so that's probably why 1200 net calories seems low to me. I won't worry if I go over a little as long as I'm making healthy choices.
  • tssomerville6113
    tssomerville6113 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Salads have become my best friends. Most of the time I have a big salad with some fruit for lunch. The Key to salads is lots of veagables ( carrots, cucumber and tomatoes) with a low calorie dressing - try balsamic dressings.

Also fruits and vegetables , I tell myself i can eat as many as i want as long as they arent covered in oil or butter.
  • theflamingpopsicle
    Options
    I love adding vegetables to my salad, but I hate dressing (literally every kind I've ever tried) so I end up adding other things to liven it up a little. I usually add a little avocado and I like adding low-fat shredded cheese and a few croutons, but I don't know if that's too much? Do you think it'd be fine to keep adding that stuff?

I love fruits, so I'm making those a big part of my diet! Some vegetables I'm not a fan of but I like most.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I love adding vegetables to my salad, but I hate dressing (literally every kind I've ever tried) so I end up adding other things to liven it up a little. I usually add a little avocado and I like adding low-fat shredded cheese and a few croutons, but I don't know if that's too much? Do you think it'd be fine to keep adding that stuff?

I love fruits, so I'm making those a big part of my diet! Some vegetables I'm not a fan of but I like most.

You can get a food scale and weigh everything accurately to log it in your diary.
    Everything can be okay in moderation. Best to log it and see what you're eating.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    MFP will tell you how many calories you need to consume to lose weight. At your age it's going to be a lot higher than 1200. Also you need to get a scale so you know where you're starting at, to determine your BMI, and track your progress.

It's great you're working out, but don't feel like you have to work out 6 days a week. If you've been sedentary, 6 days a week could burn you out. It's best to find an exercise routine you like to do. This insures you'll stick with it. It could be sports, an exercise class, running, tennis, racquetball, whatever, just find something that suits you. Machines bore me, I like to work out with others or I won't.

Anyway Welcome, you can do this!
  • theflamingpopsicle
    Options
    Thanks! If it's too much I'll cut down on the days, but I'm used to doing sports 5-6 days a week (track, cross country) and am trying to get back into that habit now that I've veered off a bit. I usually run into people I know at the gym so it's not bad and I end up having a workout buddy.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    20% of one's TDEE seems to work for a lot of people.