Low Budget, Feel-Good Recipes!

Options

Replies

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I love homemade black bean burgers there is a real simple recipe I found on this site..It's beans, oatmeal and bbq sauce.
  • Jaffy55806
    Jaffy55806 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love all the ideas with Beans and other options to eat healthy! Can I take you all home with me? :-)
  • Ardeonaig
    Ardeonaig Posts: 3
    Options
    Bump for later, some great ideas in here!
  • juanlh
    juanlh Posts: 7
    Options
    this made me hungry just reading it!
    yum
  • DeeRamage
    DeeRamage Posts: 6
    Options
    This sounds yummy ...
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Bump Thanks for sharing.
  • ptnmh
    ptnmh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A very easy, low cal/high protein and satisfying meal = salmon cake, tomato and deviled eggs. I like making enough for leftovers the next day. "O)
  • dauphinck
    dauphinck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the cauliflower pizza crust?
    Personally, I haven't, but I have started including cauliflower in my mashed potatoes and even my picky eating kids don't notice it. I'm thinking of trying the cauliflower pizza crust myself...just wondered if anyone else had.
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Right now, whole chickens seem to be the cheapest meat. I can cook two and have enough meat for a week's worth of meals. Because chicken is such a blank slate, you can do anything with it and it will usually taste good.

I like beans, but I can never get them to taste good. I do make an excellent split pea soup, but I need a ham bone to accomplish it, so I only make that when ham is on sale.

I also like to make fried rice. Any time I make rice, I make more than we need. Then I can do a "clean out the fridge meal" with a touch of this and a touch of that in with the rice. It's filling and doesn't cost a lot and it keeps you from wasting those little bits that might go bad before you can use them.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Right now, whole chickens seem to be the cheapest meat. I can cook two and have enough meat for a week's worth of meals. Because chicken is such a blank slate, you can do anything with it and it will usually taste good.

This. I make spatchcock (butterflied) chicken a lot on the grill. It's easy and a 5-6lb bird can feed my family of 4 for dinner. I make various rubs to try. This week was a simple mix of softened butter and minced garlic rubbed under and on the skin.

I also like to make different combinations of rice. For example:
    - Mexican style rice: sautee a yellow onion and 5-6 gloves of minced garlic in oil. Add a little cumin and a little tomato paste. Add rice and stir until covered in oil, then use chicken broth to finish the rice in lieu of water.
    - Lemon-Ginger rice: sautee ginger and lemon zest in oil. Add rice and stir until covered in oil. Add a little lemon juice and use chicken broth in lieu of water to finish the rice.

Others I've made are Indian-style rice (mix in parsley and cashews) and Jambalaya rice (bell peppers, celery, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce).

I usually use Jamine or Basmati rice. I'll match flavors... lemon-ginger rice goes well with poached salmon and the Mexican style rice goes well with shrimp that I bake with a home made salsa (diced tomatoes, diced jalapeños, olive oil, garlic, lime juice).

Sam
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So many new things to try. Thanks everyone.
  • avibachar
    avibachar Posts: 47
    Options
    BUMP :) mmmmmmmmmmm
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yummy satisfying carb meal: Buy those mushrooms that aren't looking perfect anymore - not great for salad and marked down - and wash (yes - a chef told me what chemicals go on mushrooms when they are commercially grown) then slice and fry up a dozen in butter or EVOO. Make sure you only do a few at a time so they can brown and not steam cook. Add lots of thinly sliced onion, a couple of celery ribs, fry together then add a few spoons of salsa, brown rice 1 c of cooked for two people, 1 can of Stagg 97% fat free Chili (the lazy quick way). and a bit of dried cilantro and a blob of yogourt on top of each bowl. Accompany with your fave toast -DH likes rye or sourdough - I have GF flax bread.

If you get peppers in the big bags for 99cents because they are starting to not be as crunchy - add them in chopped with the onions & celery.
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Following for the great ideas!! :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bumping

also with beans : I know you have to soak them for a while first
    then do you just boil them? if so, how long and in plain water?

thanks !
  • mswaters27
    mswaters27 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just finished browsing through the Budget Bytes cooking blog recommended by a previous poster and OMG there are some great recipes there! Here are three healthy, vegetarian, and affordable ones I am going to try and make within the next week:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/08/roasted-vegetable-chickpea-salad/
    (how good does this look!)

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/06/apple-dijon-kale-salad/
    (but with a lot less olive oil to lower the calories)

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/06/marinated-kale-white-bean-tomato-salad/
    (I am on a kale kick lately! I used to hate it but now that I have discovered that "massaging it" then marinating it in any type of vinegar or acid mixture makes eating raw a lot more enjoyable, I have had my eye out for recipes!)
  • sunitar292
    sunitar292 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump...im broke...lol
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Legumes are delicious!!!

Have you guys tried the new Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces? Just be careful because some of them aren't very healthy. However, some of them seem to be pretty nutritional!

I'm interested to see what people have to say about them. All you do is add in your meat, pour the sauce on top and cook for 8-10 hours (depending on the meat). Talk about easy!!!

I use the apple bbq one a lot with chicken breast in the crock pot. Then I shred it and put it on a piece of toast. Super low cal and good!
  • RoseLavAllen
    RoseLavAllen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers are delicious, not too expensive and low calorie!
    I make homemade ones and I always like to stuff them with rice, chicken, carrots & spicy tomato sauce (all of it chopped up very small). But you can stuff them with anything you like. The ones I make are around 160 calories per pepper, so quite low calorie.