High protein + no meat = ?

Options

Replies

• marinabrazil
    marinabrazil Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not all proteins are created equal. There are a lot of people here who have good suggestions about protein sources, but you need to aim for complete proteins. By a complete protein, I mean, a protein that contains all of the essential amino acids. These are most readily found in animal proteins. But since you're a vegetarian, that's not really an option.

Egg whites and whey protein are the most bioavailable sources of protein. What I mean by that is if you read the label, and it says 20 g of protein, you are actually getting 20 g of protein. This is NOT true of other protein sources, even meats and fish. Complete proteins for vegetarians include soy, amaranth and quinoa. However, you can also make complete proteins by combining foods. Here is the simple way of making complete proteins to keep in mind:

•Legumes + seeds
    •Legumes + nuts
    •Legumes + grains

For instance, brown rice and beans = complete protein. Whole wheat bread and peanut butter = complete protein.

But, if you are following a high protein diet as a vegetarian, please, be aware, that this is extremely difficult. Why? Well, as mentioned before, it's just plain difficult to get all of the protein out of these sources of it. Second, many of these items contain good amounts of fiber, which is great, but it fills you up and keeps you feeling full. It's hard to eat more when you're already full.

You will probably want to consider supplementing with something like whey protein. Follow the directions on the package, and do not exceed the recommended dosage according to the package. Protein bars can also help, as can higher protein snacks like greek yogurt.

Hope this helps!

REALLY helpful!! Thanks alot
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone mentioned protein shakes. You may LOVE the protein shakes by BSN. Their lean dessert protein has 21 grams of protein in each scoop. Sometimes I drink if on the way to work in place of breakfast. Try 40% protein for P90X.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Craftygirl mentioned greek yogurt.. I'd like to second that. Some are super yummy and have 10-18 grams of protein.
  • hunterr
    hunterr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe tolerate a little wild caught fish?
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Not all proteins are created equal. There are a lot of people here who have good suggestions about protein sources, but you need to aim for complete proteins. By a complete protein, I mean, a protein that contains all of the essential amino acids. These are most readily found in animal proteins. But since you're a vegetarian, that's not really an option.

Egg whites and whey protein are the most bioavailable sources of protein. What I mean by that is if you read the label, and it says 20 g of protein, you are actually getting 20 g of protein. This is NOT true of other protein sources, even meats and fish. Complete proteins for vegetarians include soy, amaranth and quinoa. However, you can also make complete proteins by combining foods. Here is the simple way of making complete proteins to keep in mind:

•Legumes + seeds
    •Legumes + nuts
    •Legumes + grains

For instance, brown rice and beans = complete protein. Whole wheat bread and peanut butter = complete protein.

But, if you are following a high protein diet as a vegetarian, please, be aware, that this is extremely difficult. Why? Well, as mentioned before, it's just plain difficult to get all of the protein out of these sources of it. Second, many of these items contain good amounts of fiber, which is great, but it fills you up and keeps you feeling full. It's hard to eat more when you're already full.

You will probably want to consider supplementing with something like whey protein. Follow the directions on the package, and do not exceed the recommended dosage according to the package. Protein bars can also help, as can higher protein snacks like greek yogurt.

Hope this helps!

REALLY helpful!! Thanks alot

You're welcome. Let me know if you have another other questions.
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As a fellow p90x'er.... I suppliment with Optimum Nutrition double choclate (num) powder.

Not sure if 'no meat' also including fish (swordfish, shrimp, tuna)
    Here is the rest of my list of high proteins low carbs low fat

Eggs
    Nonfat cottage cheese
    Nonfat greek yogurt

For the meat eaters who are interested
    Boneless/Skinless Chicken breasts
    and basically all meats, but you have to watch the fat content on some.

Craig
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is my favourite. You could have it with fruit, or use it in your shakes to add even more protein.

Beans - in soups, stir fry, chili, fajitas, etc.

Lentils - soup, lentil loaf

Also fake meat products.. I'm so iffy on eating these now though because of soy interferring with estrogen levels.. I guess in moderation though!
  • marinabrazil
    marinabrazil Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone mentioned protein shakes. You may LOVE the protein shakes by BSN. Their lean dessert protein has 21 grams of protein in each scoop. Sometimes I drink if on the way to work in place of breakfast. Try 40% protein for P90X.
    [/quote

If I drink 2 shakes a day I will go bankrupt!!! They are REALLY expensive here in Brazil...good thing is that Im almost on fase 2 of p90x and then I dont have to eat so much protein!
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    beans, soy soy soy soy and beans Of course adding some eggs and cheese will help too. I eat the EAS AdvantEDGE carb control bars. TONS of protein in those, barely any sugar and they're pretty good.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Cook with Tofu.

Have Whey Protein shakes after workouts.

Have Casein Protein shakes before bed.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    As others have noted... beans, lentils, green leafy veggies, nuts. Also check out some protein powders. We just got some from trueprotein.com... They have a bunch of different kinds but we got the gemma pea protein. It's only like $5 a pound, too.

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=6816

This looked good and a good price so I created an account to then find out shipping to Canada is $14 so that’s almost $20 for 1 lb, yuck.

Ok well another day another deal will pop up!
  • cjnorman
    Options
    Try adding some hemp seeds or chia seeds to your food. Hemp actually has more protein than total carbs (rare for a grain). They also have hemp milk and hemp butters.

And yes, chia seeds are the Chchcha Chia seeds from the Chia pets.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    the big problem with all these answers is that you have to eat your weight in them to build up a decent # for protein. Meat and fish sources are far more abundant then any of these things. Your only bet really to be able to yield a high amount of protein in small servings is whey or casein protein or liquid egg whites at the very least.
  • Dark_Latin_Guy
    Dark_Latin_Guy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am getting a high yield of daily protein and I am not eating meat.

I love this line of products, visit this site: http://www.morningstarfarms.com/

Feel free to view my Diary is open to free viewing. There are many good sources protein (meat alrenatives.

I get well over 200g per day and I weigh about 255. I also drink protein water (3-4 a day) and those are 5g per serving.

Example today I hit 226 g of protein, even after exercising once in the a.m and shortly after 230pm. My daily goal is 281g, I have 55g remaining. I also drink protein water (3-4 a day) and those are 5g per serving. Right there is another 15g. I will also two Six Star Shakes which is 26g of protein per shake.

Remember there are always options available.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    But also remember that the lady who posted this topic is in Brazil. Some of these options are not necessarily there or cost a lot more than we are used to in the United States.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I am getting a high yield of daily protein and I am not eating meat.

I love this line of products, visit this site: http://www.morningstarfarms.com/

Feel free to view my Diary is open to free viewing. There are many good sources protein (meat alrenatives.

I get well over 200g per day and I weigh about 255. I also drink protein water (3-4 a day) and those are 5g per serving.

Example today I hit 226 g of protein, even after exercising once in the a.m and shortly after 230pm. My daily goal is 281g, I have 55g remaining. I also drink protein water (3-4 a day) and those are 5g per serving. Right there is another 15g. I will also two Six Star Shakes which is 26g of protein per shake.

Remember there are always options available.

One thing you will learn. Protein and I mean a complete protein is only derived from natural food sources such as grains, meats, and legumes. Whey and casein is not the real way to go or protein water for that matter. I know this is a stretch but a perfect example, body builders really avoid whey or casein protein shakes/bars/supplements. They try to consume as much protein in from natural sources because the body is more prone to take it in.

Also for the original poster. If you have to supplement with protein shakes please add in some amino acid pills OR take in a few small servings of pineapple(the most abundant natural resource for amino acids on the earth.)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    One thing you will learn. Protein and I mean a complete protein is only derived from natural food sources such as grains, meats, and legumes. Whey and casein is not the real way to go or protein water for that matter. I know this is a stretch but a perfect example, body builders really avoid whey or casein protein shakes/bars/supplements. They try to consume as much protein in from natural sources because the body is more prone to take it in.

You must not know any bodybuilders at all. This statement is so false. Pick up a single body building magazine or go to bodybuilding.com and you will see the whey or casein based proteins are the foundational supplement of any serious body builder. I am shocked by your unwillingness to even use Google to find simple answers to your questions. You readily spout of nonsensical "facts" with no research at all. You are dangerously misleading and should refrain from speaking to anyone until you spend just one hour on Google and learn to search for facts. In fact try Bing. It is designed to be used by novices to research.

Whey protein (the highest quality and best form of protein) is incredible stuff. It provides the body with the necessary building blocks to produce amino acids that are used for building muscle tissue. Nearly every bodybuilder knows the importance of protein supplementation. Studies have been conducted that compare whey protein to other sources. They have found that whey protein contains the perfect combination of overall amino acid makeup... and in just the right concentrations for optimal performance in the body. Both hormonal and cellular responses seem to be greatly enhanced with supplementation of whey protein, too! Not to mention the benefits whey protein has on the body's immune system according to documented scientific research. Whey protein also plays a role as an antioxidant and helps support a health immune system. Most importantly, consistent whey protein intake coupled with exercise will result in consistent muscle building.

Casein is considered a "slow" protein. When you consume casein, you will reach a peak in blood amino acids and protein synthesis between 3 to 4 hours.5,12

This peak, however, does not even come close to that of whey. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the highest or fastest), whey would be a 10. Casein would come in with a meager rating of 2.

But, here is the kicker. That is not a bad thing! This, too, is a good thing. Casein dramatically slows the rate of protein breakdown. Remember, muscle growth is dependant on the balance of protein synthesis and breakdown.

SOURCE: BODYBUILDING.COM
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Lentils and other pulses. Quorn is a great meat substitute (is it marketed in the States?)

it is in the states but some people are allergic to it and the people who are will die if they eat it. its a VERY small population but i still think its something people should be staying away from. just my opinion. (its a fungus that grows on the inside of stagnant beer vats, if you want to know what it is)

Um, yeah sounds like something I want to run out and buy!! Geez!!!!! Check out the different protein powders...I am sure there are some that are vegetarian friendly!! :)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Larger quantities of TVP are something we can do when we get a certain variety. A company in Texas makes what they call "beef not" (and it comes in other flavors, like "chicken not," etc.). Comes in a crumbles form that works like ground beef, and chunks and strips (only the crumbles are popular with ALL of my family). We routinely use this stuff because it's way more like beef (in our opinion) in terms of flavor and appearance/color, and thus we eat more of it. It's a quick dinner fix when mixed with taco seasoning mix and salsa for tacos for dinner, or with sloppy joe mix and bell peppers on a whole wheat (more protein) bun. Those ways we can consume a higher volume of TVP than we'd ever be able to do with the regular TVP.

The company is called Dixie Diner and if you search the web for them, you'll find them.

Good luck!
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    As others have noted... beans, lentils, green leafy veggies, nuts. Also check out some protein powders. We just got some from trueprotein.com... They have a bunch of different kinds but we got the gemma pea protein. It's only like $5 a pound, too.

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=6816

mmm true protein is amazing! :)