Large frame success stories??

Options
2»

Replies

• peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've always thought I was large framed but I've figured a few things out since I've been losing weight.

1) I've begun to suspect that it isn't exactly my frame/skeleton that is bigger than average, but my muscles. I think my metabolism/hormones are such that I build bigger, bulkier, muscles faster than average. The result is that when I'm working out, and to some degree even if I'm not, I look like I weigh much less than I actually do, and I look broader and more substantial than many people.

2) I have broader shoulders and a broader back than average... I can't decide if that is a muscle thing or a skeletal thing, but either way, it affects both the way clothes fit me and how much I weigh.

3) Now, this is a biggie... The last time I weighed 180 I was 18 years old, and now I'm 46. I've had PCOS, 3 giant babies, and a lifetime of being obese. I swear to GOD, there is not one landmark on my body that I have recognized on the weigh down that I remember from the weigh up. When I was 17 and had an eating disorder and weighed the least I ever did (about 160), my measurements were 39/26.5/40. Now, at 180, I am 42/34/41. When I first hit 300 pounds, I still had a waist that was 14 inches smaller than either my chest or hips. I thought I was severely curvy because of my build. Well, guess what... your build is a small part of that equation... HORMONES are where it is at! Healthy female hormones put weight on your butt and your waist will be a little smaller. Of course this will very with your build, but it is amazing how much the hormones determine this. As I've become less fertile and older, the weight has shifted. The result is that I look much less bulky than I did when my measurements were more extreme. Hormones also effect the size of your wrist, your feet, and your ankles... things you would think were pretty set in stone. When I was 160, my wrist was over 7". Now I'm 180 and it is less than 6.5". My feet are smaller now, too.

So while it is frustrating when people say you have to wait and see, it really does come down to that. But it is also about your hormones, your age, your fitness level and how bulky you tend to be. I suspect that being "large framed" makes a small difference in what your final weight will be, but being "large muscled" will make a huge difference. Bone isn't as heavy as muscle, and there is a huge difference in how people bulk up. I bet many people who think they are large framed, are really people who will bulk if they work. This is relevant if you are working out hard, but less so if you are just cutting calories.

150 and 5 feet tall doesn't sound unreasonable to me if you are carrying some strong muscles. But a little bitty 5 foot tall woman, probably shouldn't weigh more than 100 or 110... maybe 125 with a strong set of shoulders. Of course, this is all assuming there is some perfect weight for each person. You will find that there are certain weights that when you get below them, you just feel better. I'm a whole new person under 190 than above. I'm excited to find that next magic number. :) You'll find it too!! Just focus on making the best life long changes that you can and everything else will find a way to you.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm at 5'9", and have very broad shoulders. I'm as lean as I'm going to get on the top, and I still have those dreaded moments in dressing rooms where I almost get stuck in shirt because of my enormous shoulders! Hopefully, someone else has had that experience.

I started at 210 lbs and I'm down to 162 lbs. I, however, still have weight to loose around the stomach and the hips. I have to agree with everyone here, that you really need to wait and see. I was CERTAIN when I started that my GW of 150 lbs was unreasonably low, but now that I'm so close, I'm quite certain I have more fat to loose. Be patient and listen to your body.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    You're gonna have to see when you get there. If you hit 150 and are satisfied, great! If you get there and decide you have more to lose, then go for it!

There is such a thing as having a large or small frame, but it's not easy to tell your frame type if you've been overweight your whole life. For me, my lowest weight ever was about 175 and I'm 5'8. So I was overweight according to the BMI charts. However, I had visible abs and could see my ribs... I wasn't unhealthy, but I didn't have any extra to lose. That's just how I'm built. Big shoulders, big hipbones, HUGE ribcage, and I carry a lot of muscle. At 175, most people thought I was closer to 140.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!