How active do you think I am?

Options
I've lost 8-10 pounds since joining MFP and I'm updating my calorie goal. I'm on summer break now and I mainly just lay around in bed besides getting up to do things like chores and eating/bathroom and then I do an hour long workout at night before bed. Before, I was in uni and walked across campus and a mile to and from the bus stop everyday, counted calories, and that was it. Do I change my setting or keep it the same because I'm working out now? I've heard that sedentary can be from being completely bedridden to just having a desk job and I'm not sure.

Replies

• warrio1010
    warrio1010 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    IMO it's best to not worry about your activity and just adjust your calorie intake according to the scale. If in doubt, go for a 2 mile walk.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are laying around at home and not doing much definately sedentary.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you are laying around at home and not doing much definately sedentary.

yep
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Calculators are good for where to start with calorie ranges, but they make certain assumptions that may not be true for you. What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for a week. If you lose 1-2 lbs, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few weeks, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

Allan
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8-10 pounds since joining MFP and I'm updating my calorie goal. I'm on summer break now and I mainly just lay around in bed besides getting up to do things like chores and eating/bathroom and then I do an hour long workout at night before bed. Before, I was in uni and walked across campus and a mile to and from the bus stop everyday, counted calories, and that was it. Do I change my setting or keep it the same because I'm working out now? I've heard that sedentary can be from being completely bedridden to just having a desk job and I'm not sure.
    Dang, I wish I was in bed all day. I have a desk job, have a secondary job teaching children for two hours after every other day, do stepmill for half an hour then elliptical for half or do a six mile run every day. My three mile walk with dogs is in addition to that----Everyday--- yet I STILL put down sedentary. Now I'm wondering if that was correct.