I hate to exercise...

Options
2»

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Nothing says you have to exercise if you really hate it. If weight loss is your goal, you can do that just fine without ever getting off the couch. If health and fitness are your goals, then you obviously need to incorporate some form of exercise, but I would try to find something fun. If riding a bike is out, try tennis or another sport, or perhaps take a class if that interests you. If lifting weights interests you, there are tons of options out there for getting started. But basically, figure out your goals and find something you enjoy that moves you in the right direction. It's really not that hard and just takes some drive/motivation on your part to get started.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise, you don't "need" it to lose weight. Certainly helps though. Find something you like to do, Aerobics, dancing, running, laser tag, paint ball, swimming or anything that gets you off your butt. For general health purposes you do need to incorporate activity.

Do dancing and laser tag actually count as exercise? I did both for my son's birthday and I was fine after about 30 minutes.

Absolutely counts, especially the way I play, I tend to push myself harder because I'm having fun. I walk out of there pretty tired. and it really works my core (from the ducking and moving).

Just wanted to add, make sure you're honest about the intensity of the workout. If you work your butt off and sweating then that's a good sign that you're working your body well. If you barely break a sweat then consider it a low calorie burning activity. But hey here's the thing, even low intensity exercise like walking is beneficial. If you only got in 10,000 steps a day you'd be well on the way to burning more calories and feeling great.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hip Hops Abs is great....on sale for $9.95 at Beachbody.com and it is fun, low impact but yet it will make you sweat!!
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The 10,000 steps a day thing might help. I have a Pokewalker from Soulsilver that I've been neglecting to use for a couple years now. That or I could rack up step points on one of my other pedometer pets I've neglected or on my Nintendo DS. I use to walk that much in a day at the minimum because I can't drive, but now that my guy has a car, he just takes me everywhere so that a two mile trip one way to the store is just 5 minutes in the car instead of 30 on foot. That and I don't walk to work anymore because driving takes off about 10 minutes and I get more sleep...
  • malloryorwhatever
    Options
    Is there anything else you're interested in/passionate about that you can incorporate into exercising? For me, I'm a fan of music. And it's amazing to find an album or make a playlist that's perfect for a workout. I used to hate working out, but then it became something I used when I needed to de-stress or regain focus when my life felt chaotic. I'm so damn out of shape now, but surprisingly I still like being in the gym (even though it makes me sad how much I've fallen off the wagon). Some people I know used to read while doing cardio or do yoga because it helped their insomnia. Sometimes all it takes is linking it to something else in your life and the gym will go from a chore to a treat :)