Okay people, it's LOSE not LOOSE!!

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Noone haz efer posted a string like these on mfp. This is the first won, efer. Because none of us new this. Now we no. :wink:
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You're comparing apples and oranges. In the US, at least in public schools, every child has a right to a free education. Every single one.

(Sorry--this reply is in response to TheDoctorDana's post not the OP)
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Correcting spelling is against the forum rules.

Reported.

Is it really? I did not know this. Still, to be fair, this was not a personal attack on any one individual's spelling, so I'm not certain it would apply to such a rule. I imagine such a rule would be in place to prohibit the harassment of an individual. This is a discussion about the differentiation between two words with vastly different meanings. You know what might be equally petty as correcting a person's spelling directly? Reporting the OP. I mean...really.
    I could be wrong but I really think he was kidding, ya know, sarcasm
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

Reported.

Is it really? I did not know this. Still, to be fair, this was not a personal attack on any one individual's spelling, so I'm not certain it would apply to such a rule. I imagine such a rule would be in place to prohibit the harassment of an individual. This is a discussion about the differentiation between two words with vastly different meanings. You know what might be equally petty as correcting a person's spelling directly? Reporting the OP. I mean...really.

It really is against the rules...and I DID NOT really report it.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    OK my pants are getting lose, from loosing wait on my waste. :laugh:

Ewww...I bet your pants stink now.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    lol. we know, we know. it's a longstanding issue and unsure where it originated?

i'm half expecting websters to say "loose" is about losing weight one of these days when they update their dictionary to keep up with the vernacular.

funny.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    "lose" like "choose," not "loose" like "goose."

There's no way this could be confusing... :huh:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Reported.

It really is against the rules...and I DID NOT really report it.

tumblr_llmzfdn6fN1qdlkgg.gif
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    YES it matters! They are two entirely different meanings. Do we know what the poster means? Yes, but that doesn't make it grammatically correct.
    The question is, how does it affect your life if someone uses the wrong lose?

Other than the cringe I get when I read it? It doesn't in the short term. It just makes me sad that 1) people don't know the difference between the two words when they are grade school spelling words. And 2) It makes me sadder that people shrug and say it doesn't make a difference when it very clearly does make a difference because they are two entirely different words. By accepting the wrong use of it we are dumbing down our language. What next? We've already accepted that people don't know the difference between your and you're and they're, their and there. It just seems to me that we accept these things too easily anymore.

Am I going to make a big deal of if? No. I get that we're all here to lose weight and to learn how to be healthier. This isn't a grammar site and a lot of people here don't even speak English as their first language. I'm not here to be the grammar Nazi but that doesn't mean it doesn't make me cringe.
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    O c'mon hoo cures? Dod yeu knew thut yeu dumt evun neud to spull thungs ruigt to cumpruhund thum? ;P
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    What about loose women?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say that this one drives me bonkers on here too. Especially because it seems that the incorrect usage appears more frequently than the correct one.

Then I remember that the site is used by people whose first language isn't necessarily English.

And then I remember that some users are posting from a mobile device with autocorrect. That would be the same evil feature that insists on replacing the "well" that I've typed with "we'll" when I text... grrrr.

I twitch a little bit when it is assumed that certain mistakes in English are mostly made by non-native speakers. I am a non-native speaker & writer and English is my fourth language. I don't use grammar incorrectly ( and that is true for many non-native speakers ), because I studied English for a very long time ( all through school, university and graduate school ), including grammar for about ten years. I practice English every day ( mostly here on MFP ) and make sure that my spelling and grammar are as good as I can produce them. I don't think that too many native speakers make the same effort.
    And btw: I also have auto-correct and when it assumes things, I won't let it and make the necessary corrections. I won't allow a little machine to mess up what took me 50 year plus to learn correctly.....:o).
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy, too. It shouldn't, but it does.

Yep.

We all have our pet peeves.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What about loose women?

LOL!!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    No need to get so angry. It is time to accept the fact that there will always be stupid people in this world...thank god, because those people make me look smarter. :)
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but I agree. It's such a simple word. How sad that you can't spell a four-letter word properly.

It's not inability to spell, it's often lack of knowledge of which to use in certain context. Like knowing you're, your, or yore. English is an exceptionally difficult language even for native speakers. When people see the misuse often enough, it becomes confusing. That being said, I KNOW which word to use, but I'll often mistype and use the wrong one. Because it's not a misspelling, spell check says it's fine. So, I'll go back to "It's My Fitness Pal, not My Grammar Pal." Let's give people a break, or is it brake?

Its not like that at all! Lose & loose are pronounced differently!
    Idk why it annoys me a lot tooooo
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    OK my pants are getting lose, from loosing wait on my waste. :laugh:

*twitch*
  • yeahiknow3
    yeahiknow3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's also My Fitness Pal, not My Grammar Pal.

You're so right! Who cares if our language is imprecise, or if the average gorilla is technically only a little less clever than most of the people in this thread... I mean, life's not a grammar lesson, and you're not a genius, so let's all join together in universally lowering our expectations.