P90X and Diet

Options
My wife and I started P90X we are on week 3 phase 1. Prior to starting this we had been doing the calorie counting diet through MyFitnessPal and exercise. Can P90X be successful using this current diet?

Replies

• sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    It can be; I did it although I am sure I would have gotten more out of the workouts had I not been on such a large deficit.

I would recommend making SURE you up your protein to the levels P90x suggests. Also, definitely try to eat most/all your exercise calories as too big a deficit may hinder your muscle building. And if the scale doesn't move, make sure you measure yourself as inches can be lost without losing weight.

Hope that helps
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When I did P90X I used the protein/carb/fat ratios. I didn't use ther specific diet plan and menu options in the nutrition guide, however I did eat very healthy. I used MFP the whole time. Most people would suggest a higher calorie because you'll burn roughly 600 calories per workout.

Good luck with it and have fun. =D
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. P90X says I should be eating around 2200 cals a day. I upped to 1500 and I'm having a hard time. Can you suggest any healthy, high calorie foods?
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've two rounds of P90X (Lean and Classic). I didn't follow the nutrition plan in P90X but I did try and follow the protein/carb/fat ratios. As long as you are keeping track of your calories and eating clean I think you will have success (along with doing the workouts).

I would caution assuming you are burning 600 calories per workout. I did the first two rounds without a reliable heart rate monitor (but I didn't add in my workout calories to my daily allowance). I bought a Polar FT7 for my first round of Insanity and I'm only burning 300 - 350 calories for those workouts which I believe are much harder than the P90X workouts. Your actual calorie burn wil depend on your weight, age etc. but without using a HRM you could be overestimating your calories burned.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I completed a round of P90X and lost 24 lbs during that time. i was on a 1700 calorie diet. At the time I was doing 60% carbs, 20 % protein, and 20 % fats. I am currently doing 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat. I would recommend the following:

1: eat more protein while doing P90X. However, do not eat the calories that they recommend. If you get overly tired and bonk out then you're not eating enough.

2: purchase an inexpensive heart rate monitor. Each day you're going to be burning different amounts of calories. It is best to customize your calories daily for the differences. For instance: i burned 308 calories today during chest and back (phase 3), yesterday i burned over 700 calories during plyometrics.

3: eat clean. Some calorie dense foods would be granola and almonds for snacks. I would also recommend a protein shake so that you do intake a lot of fat. BSN carries some good tasting protein powders with 21 grams per scoop.

4: Almond milk. Tony H recommends weening yourself off of dairy. Almond milk is less calories than 1% milk.

5: Drink plenty of water, water, water.

6: If you workout in the mornings with P90X i highly recommend that in the 2nd month you add more cardio. You can do Cardio X in the evening or go for a mile walk.
  • bill_armstrong5
    bill_armstrong5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, since we have done the cal restrictions i have losted 15+ lbs. The whole time we were walking daily. Now we are doing P90X, the work out plan suggest that I eat between 3000 and 3500 calories a day. I am eating healthy and not just junk, so you would think it would work.