Exercising, controlling calories but gaining weight

Options
Hi,

Over the last two years I've lost just over 40lbs with MFP, so I know how to count calories. However, in the last six months I've gained 8lbs and I don't know why.

I gained a little after Christmas but reduced the caloric intake down from my maintenance (c. 1500 kcal - I'm 5' 1" and 38 years old) to just over 1200 kcal / day, doing lots of exercise but always eating back the exercise calories to take me just over 1200. Then I raised my calorie intake back up to c. 1500.

A few months ago, I noticed that the scales were heading in the wrong direction, and the tape measure confirms this. I have dropped my calorie intake again to c. 1200, doing lots of exercise and always eating back the calories but things are moving increasingly in the wrong direction. My clothes are starting to feel uncomfortably tight. Prior to this, I was able to maintain my weight and size easily on 1500 kcal / day.

I do have a pre-existing thyroid problem, and take lithium, and I'm getting that side of things checked out, but can anybody think of a good reason why my weight is going up and up if it's not a thyroid problem? I am also at high risk of developing diabetes (which was one of the main reasons for my weight loss in the first place - from 154lbs to 112), so any weight gain is worrying as it will significantly decrease my body's ability to deal with carbs; I was a gnat's away from being diagnosed with diabetes, with a fasting blood glucose level of 6.9ml/mmol, just before I started my weight loss and my last fasting was 5.4ml/mmol, so greatly improved.

Sorry for the ramble, but I am really am at my wits' end!

Many thanks

Jo

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Your thyroids and medication could be masking your weight loss. It would be a good idea to ask your doctor for a referral to a qualified dietitian to help you create a weight loss plan that works with your medication. In the meantime, check out the "Groups" section for thyroid support.