Rest or No Rest?

Options
Hey all - I am trying to ramp up my fitness before my marathon (11 days and counting!!) and trying to decide whether to rest between resistance training days. I have heard you should rest every other day, but I kind of feel like time is short! Wondering whether I would do more harm than good if I did resistance three days in a row in addition to my other stuff. Should note that Friday and Sunday are usually total rest days and I am NOT tapering as I think it screws me up. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• akela4860
    akela4860 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hi there - my trainer told me never work the same muscle two days in a row including your core. So I guess it depends if you are working arms and chest on day one and legs on day two then core on day 3, that would be ok. I prefer to do super sets, that is I work the whole body 3 days a week with a days rest in between. But I try to do cardio 5 days a week with 2 days complete rest.

This has worked for me as i am down so far just over 50lbs.

good luck!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you are doing resistance training of completely different muscles on consecutive days, it is OK. Otherwise, absolutely not. It is the rest periods that build your muscle. Repeatedly tearing them down without letting them rebuild is counter-productive. At least 48 hours rest for a given muscle between strength training.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hey all - I am trying to ramp up my fitness before my marathon (11 days and counting!!) and trying to decide whether to rest between resistance training days. I have heard you should rest every other day, but I kind of feel like time is short! Wondering whether I would do more harm than good if I did resistance three days in a row in addition to my other stuff. Should note that Friday and Sunday are usually total rest days and I am NOT tapering as I think it screws me up. Thanks in advance!

Right, first things first, you have got this far, trained hard and are just 11 days to go, why bugger it up now?

Definitely rest, because in just 11 days time, you will be pushing your body to the limit and it needs to have reserves there. Last thing you need to do, in my opinion, is knacker it before you do your marathon.

All the very best in your marathon, I really hope you achieve all you set out to do xxx