Bruised ankles when jogging

Options
I can walk all day without so much as a pain, but when I jog my ankles feel bruised for the rest of the day (and sometimes up to 3 days if I really push it).

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Replies

• MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't run so I can't be of any help really but maybe you need different/better shoes? Or you are pounding your feet when they strike the ground?
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Options
    I deal with the same thing, as well as pain in my shins. It really helps me to concentrate on my big muscles --- thighs and hiney --- to do the work rather than my feet. I tend to "push off" with my feet rather than letting my legs do the lifting. I read often about proper stride and there are some good exercises out there to help train. Running.competitor.com has a lot of good tips for runners.

Good luck and happy running!
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Trina. I'll take a look and see about fixing my stride.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Do you have good shoes? Having shoes that are designed for the way you run can help with pain in your feet and legs as well.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a really good sportsbra?
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you have gym or YMCA that does gait analysis that might help. I had one done and realized that sometimes my feet would lightly hit the inside of my ankles when running. They can also give you feedback on your stride and what type of shoe you need.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Having shoes that fit you properly and that give the appropriate support in the right places is the most important thing to running comfortable. Go to a good running store and get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing....makes all the difference in the world.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I was going to mention the shoes, too. Is there anyone around who can analyze your running stride? Strengthening exercises may help, too. But I'd go get some help first. You don't want to make matters worse. Also, do you warm up and then do some stretching at all? That may help. Talk to someone who knows.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a really good sportsbra?

Bwhaaaaaaa - good one
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're stretching properly and that you have good support in your shoes.

I DIDN'T do this ten years ago when I was Irish dancing and as a result, I now have Achilles' tendinitis that will not go away.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Are you new to running?

Feet/ankle ice baths :) It sucks but it's amazing at the same time.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i actually tend to accidentally kick the inside of my ankle sometimes when i run....so i end up with actual bruises. probably not the same thing. lol
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Mine don't bruise but they definitely get sore and swollen and it sometimes goes up the side and back of my calf. Ice is your friend- use it. Have you tried any compression sleeves? I have one from my doc b/c I sprained my ankle but I saw that ACE makes one now. Not sure if that would help you, but it's something to look into.