When is it too late to eat dinner?

Replies

• klfoster88
    klfoster88 Posts: 65 Member
    I work 2nd shift 3pm- Midnight so I think this question depends on your schedule. I usually don't eat dinner until 8/9pm because that is when my break is. The tough thing is trying not to eat after I get off.....
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 396 Member
    Calories can't tell time.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Doesn't matter in terms of weight loss when you eat. I guess if you eat right before bed you might get heartburn...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I think if you eat after about 2 am, you should really call the meal breakfast.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    when you eat makes no difference.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    <<< 8% BF. Eat last meal about half an hour before bed every night.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I generally eat dinner around 8 or 9pm and have dessert at 10pm or later.
    So I say, eat when you prefer to eat. :smile:
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    <<< 8% BF. Eat last meal about half an hour before bed every night.
    lol I'm about to eat and go to bed in 20 minutes
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    After you fall asleep. I think that is definitely too late to have your dinner!!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Doesn't matter in terms of weight loss when you eat. I guess if you eat right before bed you might get heartburn...

This. If you have a bunch of high fat or acidic foods right before bed, you're gonna have a bad time.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member

This. If you have a bunch of high fat or acidic foods right before bed, you're gonna have a bad time.

I had a philosophy instructor who liked to go on and on about the weird dreams he had after eating cheese right before bed.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Calories can't tell time.

Well said... and very true
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member

I had a philosophy instructor who liked to go on and on about the weird dreams he had after eating cheese right before bed.

Oh man, I knew someone that said that if they ate certain foods before bed, they would get nightmares. lol
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    I have heard to stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime. When I did that it made the weight come off faster :)

Lol, no...
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Since I keep such unconventional hours, I eat 'dinner' between 1:30-2:30 a.m. EST. I have 'breakfast' or in my case, a bedtime snack, with DH consisting of cinnamon raisin toast and coffee every morning between 6-6:15 a.m. before he goes to work and then I go to bed 30-45 minutes after that. It hasn't effected my weight loss in the least. *points to ticker*

As long as you stick to your 24 hr. (or even weekly) calorie deficit, I believe it really doesn't matter what time you eat your meals. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    I can't eat one bite of anything after 4pm. Even if I'm under my total food goal, and have a rice cake I'll gain 1-3 lbs overnight. It's the weirdest thing ever. No one ever believes me, but my mom is the same way. It's just all about you I guess.

Can't think why on earth no one believes you........
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    it's too late for dinner at breakfast.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member

Oh man, I knew someone that said that if they ate certain foods before bed, they would get nightmares. lol

Eating all kinds of food so close to bedtime; it always made him have these nightmares it seems . . . poor little Nemo!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    When it's time for breakfast.

ETA: Damn. Wasn't even the first.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Also, nice 2010 bump to state a terrible "general rule of thumb"

Dang! What is with people bumping ancient posts tonight?
This discussion has been closed.