I can't eat enough calories!

Options
I basically cut bread and a lot of starchy food out of my diet a couple weeks ago because I had a real hard time with moderation. Most of my food intake comes from dairy, meat, some nuts, and vegetables (I just don't like most fruit). I'm not like super-stringent about other things, like I have chocolate most days of the week... But I don't think I've ever come close to the calorie counts that MFP says I should be at since I started using this thing. Most days I barely even get to 800 calories! I get plenty of healthy fats and protein, my sodium and my carbs are a little low but with the way my body works this doesn't bother me.

I am really worried about the calorie thing though because I'm afraid I'll hit a plateau and won't have anywhere to go with that.

I would eat some junk food or something but I always hit my fat limits from eggs, yogurt and cheese!

Does anyone else have this problem? A solution? Please don't just yell at me for not eating enough. I promise I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day.

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? You say you eat plenty of proteins and fats, like nuts. You says you eat 3 meals and 2 snacks but you find it hard to eat over 800 calories a day. I don't think your logging accurately. If you found it hard to eat at least 1000 a day, how did you get fat to begin with? I don't think you're giving us all the information, or you think you are but aren't actually, I don't know. Without seeing your diary, there's not much we can help with.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    How do you know you are barely eating 800 calories? Are you weighing your food? Even if you cut out starches and eat 3 meals and 2 snacks you would easily be over 800 calories. Especially if you are eating chocolate and such. If you actually opened your diary we might be able to help you out more :smile:

Someone beat me to all this already.
  • becominglexi
    becominglexi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sorry, it should be open now. A lot of the vegetables I don't bother logging because I eat them raw.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    sorry, it should be open now. A lot of the vegetables I don't bother logging because I eat them raw.

Vegetables still have calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies still have calories - you should log everything you eat.

If your diary is accurate, you definitely need to up your intake - 800 cals isn't enough. Eat more nuts, nut butters, add some avocado to your meals.

Do you really not like fruit? :huh: Strawberries, peaches, melons - so much good summer fruit coming in right now!

Also use olive oil, coconut oil and butter in your cooking - easy way to add cals in small portions.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Your fat and protein targets are MINIMUMS. Go over any time you can and still be within calories. Done.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So uhhh how'd you get overweight?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Not sure what raw has to do with anything, but they still have calories so you should be counting them. This isn't Weight Watchers.

And yea, how did you get overweight if you can't eat over 800 calories. Throw some of the food you were eating into the mix and voila, you'll be over 800.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Eat more food...instead of eating 3 oz of chicken sausage (which would basically be a couple of bites) eat 6 oz for example. Also, make sure you're actually accurately logging what you eat...like are you using a food scale to weigh out those 3 oz of such and such?

Just eat more food...obviously you had to have been to get to the point of needing to lose weight...eating food is not difficult.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You say you eat chocolate but I see no entries for this. Also your sodium counts are way off. I searched for your sausage and it contains 620 mg of sodium but you have an entry that states 0mg. You state you are eating 2 snacks but they also are not logged. I think a lot of this is just inaccurate logging. If it goes in your mouth log it. Make sure that you get a food scale. I was going by just measuring cups and spoons and found that I was over eating by hundreds of calories.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Then you are eating more than you think. And do you plan on cutting out bread and starchy things permanently?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

^^^^ This ^^^^

Or are you trying to gain weight?
  • bombshellcertification
    bombshellcertification Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started, I started to get low blood sugar from working out hard and not fueling enough--even though I thought I was and I didn't feel hungry. Once I started to eat back some or all of my exercise calories I started to not only feel better, have better work outs but I started to see results!!! My body really started to change...I didn't lose lbs so much as tone up and define---its only been two months for me--lots of trial and error....but I really, important to fuel your body for work outs, muscles and overall health/strength/brain etc. Im feeling sooo so much better since eating more and drinking more water--eating something to recover right after hour or more of cardio--
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options

She said she cut out breads and starch a few weeks ago....u can read gud.

I suggest avocados, chicken and beans/legumes.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Got it. To which I say: "eat that stuff again, this time with moderation."

There. Fixed it.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options

There. Fixed it.

^^^ Bread is not your enemy.
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi! Vegetables, though they often don't have as many calories as other foods, should also be logged. I can easily get hundreds of calories in a day, just eating vegetables. The fact that you eat them raw doesn't make them calorie free.

Log your foods as accurately as you can. There may be even a chance that you could be eating correctly and have all the carbs and calories you need, but you're simply not logging everything. If you need more calories, add a bit of olive oil to your vegetables. A tablespoon alone is around 120 calories.
  • becominglexi
    becominglexi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll try to measure and track more accurately. And I'll start eating starches again, but I'll put it back really slowly and figure out how much I can handle. Really appreciate all your help and advice!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

There. Fixed it.

^^^ Bread is not your enemy.

+1 to sonic. And yes, bread is not your enemy. Eat that stuff again in moderation.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who has weight to lose will suddenly find it hard to eat enough calories.

Do yourself a favor and eat a little bit more. Your body will thank you in the long run.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Some people really concern me on this site