The more I try to count my calories, the more I binge

Options
I am having a really hard time lately counting my calories. I'm entering all of them accurately, but the harder I try to meet my daily goal, the more I end up binging late at night. And it's not healthy snacks I'm having- high fat, high sugar, low quality packaged foods are what I seem to crave. For a few weeks I've really been trying to get my late-night eating in control, but the harder I try the more I give in.

Has anyone experienced this and, if so, how did you combat it? Thanks!

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I almost started down this road last night. Problem is, I ate a big meal too early in the day. But instead of heading to the store for all the candy, I ate another big meal of veggies with some raisins for dessert and it fixed the cravings. More or less. My brain still wanted it, but that is manageable.

What saved me was: I didn't have any junk in the house. I would have had to go get it. That gave me time to say nah, I'll make a big healthy dinner instead. And that is all that saved me. Because I was looking up vegan candy on the internet with criminal intent.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You have to be tougher mentally.

Keep busy, dont keep snacks/food readily available so it is a big effort to actually eat one.
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth...nothing tastes good after toothpaste! Or drinking water or maybe some hot tea.

A hobby might help as well, to help keep you occupied in the evening; reading, writing, painting, burpees...anything you enjoy :)
  • Making_changes7
    Making_changes7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep.

Oh man. I've tried this. I end up not being able to fall asleep because I'm thinking about the food that I never snacked on a night. So I get up, snack, and THEN I'm able to fall asleep. Otherwise, I lay in bed for hours. :'(
  • toconeledoux
    toconeledoux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me, I am finding that my brain is viewing the calorie counting as controlling and I do not like the feeling of being told what to do. I actually found myself last night eating a double portion of low carb pasta because it was there. I have been close to perfect with my numbers since April and have lost 10 pounds and counting. Not sure what is causing the issue, but I have realized that I need to cook my portions and limit the junk in my house until I beat this urge to eat what I want, when I want. (I did notice that when it really got to be a strong craving it happened on days that I did not get a good nights sleep, neglected to take my vitamin and didn't meet my 10 glasses of water) Hopefully I will eventually beat this demon out of me and be able to eat normally with a treat every blue moon and not feel like I am being punished when I pass on dessert.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep.

THIS!!!!!! (Try some Almonds to keep the hunger pains away, if you are still thinking of food, it is probably emotional eating)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep.

I think this is the best advice. If I'm still having a craving after I've already eaten something I just tell myself to go to bed. Or get rid of the junk so it's not even available and snack on something healthier.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe your calorie goal is too aggressive. 1200 can be hard to do. If it's making you binge, maybe try 1500.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have this too. I try to save at least 500 calories for evening snacking. Or I'll push some of the calories over to the next day and just eat lighter the next day.

ETA: I also bumped my calorie goal up by 100-200. Progress was slower, but I wasn't miserable.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    I am having a really hard time lately counting my calories. I'm entering all of them accurately, but the harder I try to meet my daily goal, the more I end up binging late at night. And it's not healthy snacks I'm having- high fat, high sugar, low quality packaged foods are what I seem to crave. For a few weeks I've really been trying to get my late-night eating in control, but the harder I try the more I give in.

Has anyone experienced this and, if so, how did you combat it? Thanks!

Stop buying crappy food to eat in the middle of the night? That's the ONLY way I have stopped myself.

OR

Try a spoonful of peanut butter.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so it's hard to give specific advice.

However, based on your profile (you've lost the weight you want, you want to tone up), you may not be eating enough. Set your goal to maintain weight. Aim to get about 1 g protein per pound LBM (so probably about 100g protein) and exercise, especially resistance training. I recommend lifting heavy (you won't bulk up). That will help you reach the goals, plus having enough calories and protein should help you avoid binging in the evenings.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Keep your hands busy. I've been making sure that every night I do housework, as much as possible. Can't eat while I'm ironing, or doing dishes, or sweeping. My house has been so clean since I started this 'diet' trick and I've avoided late night snacking!

The other alternative is just to not keep that stuff in the house. When I do have a bad craving and I go rummage, I don't have snacks in the cabinet. So I shuffle, I look, realize there's nothing there and go sit down.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    you look like you're in killer shape. if you're building muscle your body is telling you to feed them. The one thing I would suggest however (*and this is without seeing your diary) is up your water intake. It will fill u up. Not sure of your ht/wt, but assuming avg size woman, go for 90oz a day as a goal.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Sleep earlier.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Why do you have those things in your home ?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.niashanks.com/20-tips-binge-eating/

ETA: Since I can't see your food diary it's possible you need to raise your calorie goal.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    OP can you open up your diary your body may need that late night snack but its hard to say because I dont know what your eating or what your calorie goal is
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Options
    Has binge eating in late evening or night always been an issue? If not, then you are probably not eating enough during the day. The only time I get hungry later evening.....the ravenous can't get it off my mind kind of hungry......is when I am not eating enough during the day (or filling my day with nothing but junky empty carbs and fats). Sometimes I just tell myself I am going to have a really big breakfast when I get up.

I am not one to eat after supper, but if you need an evening snack, try planning out your day to include that in your calories.....then you will know it will be there waiting for you at 9:00 or whatever......and you will have planned it well with something healthy instead of relying on whatever craving hits you.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Keep your hands busy. I've been making sure that every night I do housework, as much as possible. Can't eat while I'm ironing, or doing dishes, or sweeping. My house has been so clean since I started this 'diet' trick and I've avoided late night snacking!

The other alternative is just to not keep that stuff in the house. When I do have a bad craving and I go rummage, I don't have snacks in the cabinet. So I shuffle, I look, realize there's nothing there and go sit down.

^^ Good advice!

Also, you could try Melatonin supplements to help with the sleeping.

If the hunger is too incredible, try turkey.

It makes you sleepy and is low cal and a bit filling.