What was your 5K time when you started?

Options
I'm working on Couch to 5K and wondering, how long should a beginning runner expect to spend running 5K? It takes me 55 minutes to walk the route right now.

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm working on Couch to 5K and wondering, how long should a beginning runner expect to spend running 5K? It takes me 55 minutes to walk the route right now.
    Everyone is different. Different backgrounds. Different athletic abilities.

For me I think my first 5k was around 24 minutes, and my best is just under 20 but I was a pretty athlete and just needed to get back into that shape.

I have helped with c25k programs locally and some people are extremely excited at doing it around the 30 min mark, some 33+, and some hope to just be able to finish without walking.

When you go through the program and stay true to it, and keep on the 5k path afterwards you will see your times drastically get better especially if you enter races.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It should take you however long it takes you. Don't worry about everyone else's time because it's all relative to that individual.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    running a 5k on the treadmill takes me about 40 minutes give or take. but as long as your running you're good! You'll complete your 5k in less time than you would if you were sitting on the couch :glasses:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    First 5K was 30:17 seconds. I was at my goal weight when I ran it though. Only ran 2 times the 2 days prior to "train" for it.

You shouldn't worry about time though. Just get out there and do it. The accomplishment is enough. Then you can work on your times. :)
  • Cpollard6608
    Cpollard6608 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The first 5k I ever ran, and ran the whole time, was 34:15. I also used the C25k program, and I just ran a 5k two weeks ago at 22:14. Like others have said, keep on working and the time will take care of itself. Build your mileage first, then worry about the time! Keep up the good work!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    40 minutes pushing a double stroller.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    everyone is going to be different. don't worry about time. first worry about working your way up to actually being able to jog/run without stopping to walk...you can work on speed later.

getting fit takes time...
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. My real question is "What time will I need to get up to jog the 2.9 miles (just short of 5K) to my first meeting?" We're lucky enough to have showers and locker rooms at work; I'm just trying to work out the details. I had two co-workers finish Boston this year, so I was inspired to pick up running.
  • vitasoni80
    vitasoni80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My very first 5k...my goal was just to finish it..running/walking I completed it in 40 mins. My 2nd 5K was 5 months later with consistent training and I hit 34 mins. I ran the entire time. My next one is in 2 weeks and based on my training runs. I think I'm going to come in at 32 mins. Congrats on getting off the couch and starting to run!!
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My first was 34:13. I haven't quite broken through the 30 minute barrier yet, although I haven't run any this year so far.

Keep working on your fitness/distance/etc. You'll get better every time out.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. My real question is "What time will I need to get up to jog the 2.9 miles (just short of 5K) to my first meeting?" We're lucky enough to have showers and locker rooms at work; I'm just trying to work out the details. I had two co-workers finish Boston this year, so I was inspired to pick up running.

LOL Well have others have said, your time is relevant to you and only you.....however, if you're planning to jog to work, etc. then if you include a 5 min walk warm up, and a cool down, then I would safely say give yourself 45-50 minutes. If you make it in too early then you can do an extra "lap" as a cool down, and don't forget to give yourself time to stretch :)

C25k turned me into a runner and I NEVER thought I could be! Good luck!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    my first 5k wasn't timed. (291+lbs) My second one, I mainly walked was 59 minutes 30 seconds. (apx. 245lbs) :laugh: My goal was to be under an hour. I did it! :bigsmile: lol My next 5k I am going to aim for 50 minutes.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My first official 5k race was done in 53 minutes. That was at 275 lbs. My personal best 5k race was done at 34 minutes. That was at 230 lbs. I haven't beat that time again yet, but I'm currently working on distance running versus speed. I need more endurance and to control my breathing / control my asthma before I get faster. I can currently granny shuffle for 1/2 a mile without stopping. My goal is to shuffle a solid mile by the end of the year and do a marathon (complete it even if I'm disqualified based on time - IDC, I just want to DO one!) by the time I'm 40. 1,840 days to go!
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5K w/my daughter a couple weeks ago. It was her first 5k and just 10 weeks into starting running and she (we) finished in just over 41 minutes - her average pace was 13:13. I thought that was a really good pace especially considering she has about 100 extra pounds on her..
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I ran a 5K w/my daughter a couple weeks ago. It was her first 5k and just 10 weeks into starting running and she (we) finished in just over 41 minutes - her average pace was 13:13. I thought that was a really good pace especially considering she has about 100 extra pounds on her..

That is phenomenal

anigif_enhanced-buzz-926-1401223152-14.gif.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    here check out this website. it will calculate your pace, so you have a goal to train for. so for my 50 minute goal I need to run a 16minute mile.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/jmetz/runningcalculator.html
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options

If you walked it and it took you 55 minutes then I would plan on 55 minutes to an hour. You will probably get to your meeting early then you will have time to stretch after your run walk. You will figure out your times after you have done it for a while. Good for you for starting!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    My first official 5k race was done in 53 minutes. That was at 275 lbs. My personal best 5k race was done at 34 minutes. That was at 230 lbs. I haven't beat that time again yet, but I'm currently working on distance running versus speed. I need more endurance and to control my breathing / control my asthma before I get faster. I can currently granny shuffle for 1/2 a mile without stopping. My goal is to shuffle a solid mile by the end of the year and do a marathon (complete it even if I'm disqualified based on time - IDC, I just want to DO one!) by the time I'm 40. 1,840 days to go!

You will get there!

Distance GETS you speed at our level. Keep on running!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Give yourself an hour. It will be that one run that your body will suddenly use running as an inspiration to poop. Trust me.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    my first one was 35 min