Heading out on vacation - need support!

Options
I'm leaving for a half week beach vacation today. I've lost 36 pounds in the past 6 months (yay!) and am now maintaining, and vacations and unstructured times are my danger zones. I need your support to get through the vacation without gaining weight! I've opened my diary... Let me know if you'd be willing to friend me and help keep me accountable. I need all the help I can get, as I do not want to backslide!

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to just have fun and enjoy it. It's only half a week and any weight gain will most likely be water weight. Make wise eating decisions but don't be too strict on yourself. It's vacation and it should be enjoyed without stressing over food or weight gain.

Congrats on your loss!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    My advice is to workout while your on vacation.
  • newyorkmo
    newyorkmo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks, silly goose - that's definitely my plan. at the same time, i don't want to go too hog wild (something i've noticed i'm prone to now on maintenance whenever i'm out of my routine).
  • newyorkmo
    Options
    yopeeps- thanks for the advice! i will try to work out - have my clothes and shoes packed! It's tough with an 18 month old in tow, but will do my best!! and even if no dedicated workout possible, plan to stay active the whole time.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to just have fun and enjoy it. It's only half a week and any weight gain will most likely be water weight. Make wise eating decisions but don't be too strict on yourself. It's vacation and it should be enjoyed without stressing over food or weight gain.

Congrats on your loss!

This ^, Make a good choices for food and try not to drink too much alcohol.
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What worked for me on a recent trip was eating smaller breakfasts with protein or fiber (oatmeal / eggs / breakfast meat), trying to eat a lower calorie lunch (didn't always happen) and not snacking. We were busy enough to where I didn't really feel the need to snack anyway. Then I just ate whatever I wanted at dinner.

I was able to just maintain, which I was more than fine with....don't stress too much about it too. If you need a vacation from the routine of tracking/watching your food, that's what it's there for. Just enjoy yourself, don't go crazy, and get back to it when you get back.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Just don't over stuff yourself, that's uncomfortable anyway. Try to plan in some "active" things like walks, hikes and stuff. Drink a lot of water (bottled if needed). And then just have fun! Seriously. NO FOOD GUILT ON VACATION.
  • newyorkmo
    Options
    good advice, busyrae! i always regret it when i overstuff myself. and will definitely be doing lots of swimming and some walking, which should help. if my husband will watch our daughter, i'll even try to sneak in a treadmill run if i can. and i like the no guilt advice. seriously - there's enough guilt in life already - don't plan to accumulate any more!
  • newyorkmo
    Options
    smc0170 - thanks - yes, i plan to be strategic at breakfast to set the day up well. high protein fare, keep it healthy and low-carb high fiber for that meal should help launch each day in the right direction. thanks! will also try to not snack, something I avoid usually, so hoping that won't be too hard.
  • amydadeyrhodes
    amydadeyrhodes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Are you able to incorporate walking on your trip. I went to Chicago for a long weekend and was actually able to drop some weight. I think it was because of all of the walking. Plus, I was with a group of girls and we shared a lot of entrees/desserts. Indulge some, but don't overdo it. I know it is easier said than done. Try to keep your eye on the prize. Best of luck and remember your MFP family is here if you need support!
  • newyorkmo
    Options
    thanks, amydadeyrhode! will do my best!
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    my advice seems to have been already said - moderation, enjoy, don't over do-it, and if you are going to be active that will help....in the end it is days, not weeks of a different routine. Enjoy your vacation!