Diet Soda/Coffee?

Options

Replies

• Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine life without coffee! It would be such s sad, dark place for me. I really don't feel like its adversely affecting me in anyway.

I always start the day with a BIG cup of coffee (in a christmas Snoopy mug) with 1/2 tsp sugar and milk. Then maybe some tea later in the afternoon. I know you must be sick of it but I'm jealous of your tea situation! Teavana has an Earl Grey I LOVE!!!!! Especially with a shot of whiskey in it LOL.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee a day, maybe 2, depending on the day... I use 2 tbsp of flavored creamer, no sugar needed.
    That is 60 calories.

Some days, I have a glass of diet coke. It helps bite the cravings for junk later on in the evening - for me at least! I was getting into 2, 3 or 4 glasses, but I've cut that down a lot.
  • 7ricarico
    7ricarico Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is a sick addiction of mine. It's not likely to harm your weight loss (unless you are like some people and it makes you crave unhealthy foods). However, it's TERRIBLE for you--0 calories in it, and nothing natural about it. It's straight cancer causing chemicals. It's on my to do list to give it up entirely... at some point :)
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have maybe 1 20 oz bottle of diet coke a day in the morning with breakfast...yes that's right with breakfast...don't drink coffee unless there is like 1/4 of creamer and like 10 teaspoons of sugar so yeah I don't do that anymore lol Haven't seen an issue with it.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is a sick addiction of mine. It's not likely to harm your weight loss (unless you are like some people and it makes you crave unhealthy foods). However, it's TERRIBLE for you--0 calories in it, and nothing natural about it. It's straight cancer causing chemicals. It's on my to do list to give it up entirely... at some point :)

Cancer causing chemicals... the terror! :sick:
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm a caffeine addict but I have a coffee or diet fizzy drink from time to time (I'd have more diet fizzy drinks If my budget allowed :p ) and it hasn't affected my weight loss negatively in any way.
  • jlgemma
    jlgemma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has chemicals

19ctggrnhxpvvjpg.jpg

Interesting...but you can't possibly believe that this is at all comparable to the type of man made chemicals in a diet soda right?

With that being said -- although I know how bad it is, sometimes nothing sounds better to me than an iced cold coke :heart:
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has chemicals

19ctggrnhxpvvjpg.jpg

Interesting...but you can't possibly believe that this is at all comparable to the type of man made chemicals in a diet soda right?

What makes you think there is a difference?
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee in the mornings (minimal calories) and a diet soda at lunch (0 Calories) and don't think twice about it. I drink water in the afternoons and for dinner. Oh and I drink alcohol also. As long as it fits my calories I don't really concern myself with it.
  • jlgemma
    Options
    Diet soda has chemicals

19ctggrnhxpvvjpg.jpg

What makes you think there is a difference?

Oh come on, really? Take the egg for example -- one of the most nutritious foods you can get. 6 grams protein, 5 grams of healthy fat, Vit A, B vitamins, folate, selenium and plenty of various trace minerals and that is only all I can remember.

A diet soda is completely void of any nutrition, causes you to crave more foods because it tricks your body into thinking that nutrients are coming but they never do and puts stress on the kidneys from having to deal with all the aspartame and everything else.

I am far from perfect and still indulge from time to time but let's be real.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Black coffee in the morning and an hour before my workout (after work).

0 calories, helps with digestion ;) and helps as an appetite suppressant!

I make my own (I buy this cinnamon hazelnut brand of coffee grounds and its delicious) because my office coffee is gross. And if you buy "flavored" grounds it tastes really good without needing cream or sugar.

On Fridays I have a cappuccino though :) Only about 100 calories so super easy to work into my count.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee with breakfast and usually lunch as well. I also sometimes drink diet soda for lunch instead.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Cancer causing chemicals... the terror! :sick:

Diet Pepsi:
    carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate (preserves freshness), caffeine, citric acid, natural flavor

Regular Pepsi;
    carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, sugar, Phosphoric acid, caffeine, citric acid and natural flavors.

Yeah, the diet is soooo much worse. Other than the sugar in regular Pepsi no ingredients occur in nature in this exact form (although citric and phosphoric acids are easily isolated from natural ingredients).

Face it. If you want to avoid synthesized chemicals you are going to have a rough time of it and avoiding soda alone isn't going to do it.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with drinking diet Soda/Coffee when trying to lose weight. There's not something magical in these that stop you from losing weight if you are creating a calorie deficit.

Food for thought, Sugared sodas aren't a problem either, however, at 120 calories a can that's enough for me to drink diet most of the time. Key is moderation, nothing wrong a regular coke if you have sufficient calories in your budget for it.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

A diet soda is completely void of any nutrition, causes you to crave more foods because it tricks your body into thinking that nutrients are coming but they never do and puts stress on the kidneys from having to deal with all the aspartame and everything else.

LOL. Please cite sources for these ridiculous claims.
  • 123losinforme
    123losinforme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I must drink my one cup in the morning... I would go nuts without it, but I do only drink one with 3 tsp sugar and 3 tsp cream, 82 calories so well worth it:-)
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm in this headspace lately where I feel like I can't drink anything except water. I miss my caffeine! Does anyone else incorporate coffee or diet soda into their daily plan with no adverse results? I've just read quite a bit of contradictory research over the years and would love some personal opinions. I would just stick to tea but I worked at Teavana and I'm frankly just burnt out on the stuff. :drinker:

I was missing the caffeine too! I have a diet coke every other day or so. I haven't had any adverse results. I'm still losing. I know a lot of my MFP friends have coffee every morning. Personally I hate coffee. I just don't understand why people like it so much. It tastes horrible. I also drink water, ice tea and crystal light lemonade.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups of coffee every workday morning. On weekends I might have some fresh press (equiv of 1-4 cups). In the afternoon I sometimes have lemon tea (herbal). Once in a while I will have a diet coke on weekdays. On weekends I like diet coke mixed drinks if I can't get the wine I want. I will say that diet coke makes me burpy (o, rly?), so I try to avoid it on weekdays.

Look at my ticker. Seems to work just fine.
  • jlgemma
    Options

LOL. Please cite sources for these ridiculous claims.

Wow...you don't read about nutrition much I guess. I could cite dozens of sources but why bother when you have blinders on.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every morning. I don't have a soda daily, but I usually have one when i crave one.