Losing the will.

Options
I am new to this. I am a 27 female, 5ft 2 and currently 169lb (start weight 183lb). I believe I have 'lightly exercise' as I am a nurse (which involves running around 4 days a week with no break).

I have stuck to 1200 - 1300 calories a day.

I have been dieting now for 4 weeks. During the first 2 weeks I lost 11 lb and was very pleased with that. Then, the last 2 weeks I have hovered between 169 - 171 lb. I haven't changed anything. Why are the scales not budging, I am trying so so hard to lose weight before my holiday in September and I am becoming desperate now :( Any help appreciated.

Replies

• catestevam
    catestevam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm also 27, and started at about 186 as well (I'm also 5' 2"). I'm down to about 174 in 4 weeks with a big drop in the beggining, and now it's between 1 and 1.5 pounds a week. So I'd say you are definitely doing something right if you're already down to 169!. Consistency is key, so keep doing what you're doing and you WILL continue to see results!
  • invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your lovely reply. I am so determined this time to change my life forever. I am most definitely going to continue to diet. It just really frustrated me seeing the scales on the same number days after days after such a good loss in the beginning. I have read elsewhere that I might not be eating enough but I am so scared to up my calories in case I start putting weight on. Wish I could have steady weight loss week after week. Ah well tomorrow is another day and I pray to see a pound down!

Fantastic effort by you too. How many calories are you sticking to a day?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    The initial weight loss is always water. After that, it becomes very slow.

You have to stick with it and it's never going to be completely linear. That scale will go up and down on a daily basis. But over a long period of time, if you stick with it, it will trend downward.

I'm a nurse too so I know what you mean about running around at work. But to be honest, you have to do more than that. You need to add strength training and some higher intensity cardio, because just being at work is not going to be enough long term.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    One day at a time.

Consider all the work you've done, how far you come.

Are you willing to lose that progress? All those sweat, blood, and tears?

Motivation has to come from within, no one can give it to you.

I'd suggest reflecting on where you were, where you are and where you want to be.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm at 157 trying to get down to 135, 5'3" and trying to stay at 1200-1300 cal a day as well. I can sympathize, I keep hitting ruts too and not losing. Remember, water weight can fluctuate and sometimes you might go 2 weeks with no results and then drop 2 pounds instantly. Just keep trying! Also, be super careful in determining your calories - use a food scale and always weigh your food. an error of just 200-300 calories a day can make a big difference! Don't sweat it, just keep working on it and be as accurate as possible with portions. Don't try upping your calories - the starvation mode thing is almost a myth and most people are not going to fall into that category at all.
    ETA: oh and I'm 27 too! We have a lot in common. Feel free to add me if you want ^_^
  • Veropal
    Veropal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As most of mentioned, the initial weight loss is fast. You need to keep counting, stay within your calories, and add a bit of exercise, if you can. Although you are busy at work, you probably need to increase your exercise to get over the hump!
  • invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying, you all have really given me the boost I need! I am definitely sticking to this and I know what you mean about increasing my exercise (I need to find the time and energy to do this :s) but I am hoping I will still loose without any extra exercise at the moment. I record my weight daily so I can see where I am going up and down but I guess it is on a downwards trend which is a good thing! I will carry on and stick to 1200 - 1300 calories a day and hopefully it will work! Thanks again everyone.
  • ActiveTammy
    Options
    I'm so glad to see the responses to your post. I don't know what your experience is with a pursuit of a healthy eating and workout plan so I am just going to say this; forgive anything you already know :)
    First and Most important; don't Live By The Scale. Pay more attention to your inches and how your clothes are fitting. This will also give you more of a clue when you are retaining water. I actually use Dandelion Root capsules [there is also tea] because it is All Natural and helps your body to stop/fight water retention.

As you said you are sticking to a 1200-1300 calorie diet; just be observant as to where your calories are coming from. [portion of protein/carb/dairy/fruit/veg/fat ratios] Everyone's body is different and will respond differently to different percentages of each yet we need to make sure we get a combination of all. [I personally need High Protein/Very Low Carb]
    After going over your meals for the past weeks you could find something simple like lowering the carb intake a smidge may make a big difference. [I use carb as one example of course, you know your body and your meal plan. See what your body needs & responds to] *ie...More fruit & vegetables for example act as a natural detox/diuretic/xtra fiber*

Also you said you are a nurse and you have a busy schedule; I don't know if that is your exercise, but adding 10 to 20 min. 3 days a week may produce results that will blow you away. If you do have a program you are doing you could just add 10-20 min. of walking, running, elliptical to what you are doing at least 3 days a week.
    *I would suggest a simple calisthenics video that works the whole body, needs no equipment, takes minimum time, (due to your busy schedule) and you can adapt the exercises to your fitness level. I like Zuzka because she has such a variety of videos and they work. You can find a routine you enjoy and stick with it or a couple and alternate between them. You never get board and always get a great workout :)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight

Feel free to add me if you'd like and have fun progressing to your goal.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Patience is key... 1lb at a time. You always lose lots at first then everything slows down.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    One day at a time.

Consider all the work you've done, how far you come.

Are you willing to lose that progress? All those sweat, blood, and tears?

Motivation has to come from within, no one can give it to you.

I'd suggest reflecting on where you were, where you are and where you want to be.
    excellent advice for anyone!:drinker:
  • Ladytigerr1980
    Ladytigerr1980 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    the loss at the beginning is usually a lot of water. after that a pound a week is normal. dont look at the big picture if that frustrates you. focus on 5 pounds at a time. maybe you need to (i only read part of the responses) add in some strength training or do different cardio. our bodies get stuck in a rut. i try to do different cardio machines at the gym and strength train.