IIFYM Question

Options
trmrgb
trmrgb Posts: 19 Member
I have recently started focusing more on hitting my macros and logging this way instead. My question is what foods do you guys eat that helps hit your healthy fats and protein but not so much the carbs. I am having a hard time getting enough healthy fats and protein in each day. I have already added avacados and hard boiled eggs. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Greek yogurt, ice cream, peanut butter, fish, cottage cheese, edamame, nuts,cheese, milk are a few of my favorite ;)
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Nuts.. almonds are a fave of mine
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Tuna, cottage cheese, and nuts are all great. For snacks I'll also go for a Kind bar or a Quest bar because they're sweet and high protein/low sugar. Nut butters (fresh or with little to no sugar added) are also great. I also cook a lot using olive or coconut oils, which are fairly healthy for you and (obviously) high in fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Meat (smoked salmon is a nice snack), dairy, and, yeah, eggs. Also nuts, but in fact I never have a problem getting enough fat if I'm eating enough protein.
  • zavrrr
    zavrrr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    related question...if it comes down to it at the end of the day and you haven't hit your goal for one or more of your macros, but doing so would put you over your calorie goal, which do you prioritize?

for example...I often have a hard time hitting my protein goal (currently about 120g/day), and sometimes end up in a situation where I can't decide if I'm better off eating more to hit that target, and going slightly over my calorie goal, or just sticking to the calories and being a bit short on protein.

obviously in an ideal world I would be on target for both, and I manage it a decent amount of the time, but I can never decide which way to go if I need to choose.

I'll probably just invest in some protein powder soon so that I can more easily hit my goal there without a lot of associated calories, but for the time being I have been erring on the side of staying under my calorie goal since my more immediate goal right now is weight loss.

thoughts?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butter, cheese, Light & Fit Greek yogurt are some of my favorites along with avocados, eggs and meat.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    related question...if it comes down to it at the end of the day and you haven't hit your goal for one or more of your macros, but doing so would put you over your calorie goal, which do you prioritize?

for example...I often have a hard time hitting my protein goal (currently about 120g/day), and sometimes end up in a situation where I can't decide if I'm better off eating more to hit that target, and going slightly over my calorie goal, or just sticking to the calories and being a bit short on protein.

obviously in an ideal world I would be on target for both, and I manage it a decent amount of the time, but I can never decide which way to go if I need to choose.

I'll probably just invest in some protein powder soon so that I can more easily hit my goal there without a lot of associated calories, but for the time being I have been erring on the side of staying under my calorie goal since my more immediate goal right now is weight loss.

thoughts?

It would depend on how far off I was and which macro. If I'm just under, I'd let it go. If I'm under a lot, and it's carb or fat, I'd let it go this once and make a mental note to make some adjustments. If I'm under a lot, and it's protein, I'd eat the protein. Making sure I'm maintaining LBM >> hitting my calorie deficit right on.
  • zavrrr
    Options
    Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

thoughts?

Calories are what is important for losing weight. Having macro goals can help you have a more balanced diet and help you get more/better nutrition. It is not important at all that you're bang on with your macros...unless you have some really specific fitness goals, being in the general vicinity of a reasonable macro ratio is going to help you have a more well balanced nutritional profile...there is no magic in your macro ratios for weight loss really other than you burn slightly more calories through TEF with a higher protein intake.

I'm not saying that they are not at all important, but people worry way too much about hitting whatever % exactly bang on and it's a bit ridiculous.
  • zavrrr
    Options
    Thanks, that made me feel a lot better!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    my diary is open