Do you stick to calories for social events?

Options
13»

Replies

• Effalunt
    Effalunt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do my best to track, although I allow myself to go over if there is something to eat that really speaks to me. I do try to eat more of the veggies and bring soda water with limes to keep me out of the pop. I also get a good workout in before I go to give me a little more wiggle room.

I feel like I need to track consistently, even on the days I know I will be a little over. I know that if I get out of the momentum of tracking and really paying attention to what I put in my body, I could easily slide back into the habits that caused me to gain weight in the first place.
  • thejocool
    thejocool Posts: 46
    Options
    I track the other two meal and try to be as most reasonable as possible on those 2 but for the meal included at those social events (ex:supper) I eat normally like everyone else, have 1 drink and that is it. A little sliver of whatever is offered as sweet and I'm ok. I find anyway that most of the time I'm not that hungry because my stomach is not used to have a pile full of food anymore. ;)
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    you didn't gain the weight after attending one bbq. eat, drink, have fun, get back on track the next day. throw in another work out. go for an extra walk. DRINK A LOT OF WATER.
  • shoing
    shoing Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just make good choices. I tend to leave off the bun saves upwards of 200 calories right there. Choose proteins, fruit, veggies, have a drink or two. Exercise to have some extra calories that morning. Have fun if you go over it's one day. Have a great day with family & friends.
  • photochik71
    photochik71 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'll eyeball portion sizes and log it. Doesn't matter what my intake is for that day. It all evens out over time.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    IF I know about the event ahead of time, I'll skimp a little on calories 2 or 3 days beforehand. If not, no big deal. Just means more exercise for the rest of the week if I'm not injured. I try to enjoy myself when I'm out.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes. I log. I need to log. I don't stress about the calories, either, though. I have been known to take pictures of my plate so I can log it later. I agree that an 80/20 lifestyle works, but I need the consistency. I also concur that I am choosy. I can have chips, brownies, etc. any ol' time. I save myself for unusual, rare, and favorite dishes. I eat very light before I go because in my experience I gorge regardless of whether I ate before I left the house or not. For example, I went to a grad party last Saturday. I had a realllllly light breakfast & lunch. I saved 1200 calories for the party. I went over by 200 and I absolutely pigged. So, for me, it was delicious and guiltless. I don't see 200 cals as a devastating overage.

Go, enjoy. Figure out what system works for YOU.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories at events but I DO stick to my life style of eating only whole foods in my portion size and that tends to keep the calories in line. I find that it in no way interferes with my enjoyment of social life. fwiw i didn't vary my eating style during a 3 week vacation and I still maintained my desired fat loss and didn't count or log a single day.
  • kate1337
    kate1337 Posts: 13
    Options
    I definitely stick to my calorie intake during social events. Not to sound rude, but to your body calories are calories. Your body does not say "oh it's a special occasion so we won't count this cupcake". Try to stick to the vegetable platter. And find a dessert buddy that you can share a pre-cut piece of dessert with when you can't pick your own serving size. Hang in there and stay strong! I know it's tough. But I'm sure your family will support your decision to eat more healthily.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    For social situations, no. Absolutely not.

First off, I recognize that my fitness journey doesn't need to be in anyone else's face. It's annoying as hell to invite someone over to your place,and all they can talk about is their diet, and they're weighing everything, and not eating stuff because they are "on a diet", or whatever.

My wife and I have a rule - when we go to someone's place, we eat the food. It's courteous, and fun, and it's one meal. It certainly won't kill me.

And second thing: this is part of the progression of transitioning to a more fit lifestyle: learning to eat without weighing and counting everything.

This past week I went on a 4-day vacation. I didn't even attempt to count a single calorie; I didn't weight a thing. Instead, I made smarter eating choices (I'll take the 10 oz. Ribeye instead of the 16 oz., thanks, and a salad instead of fries), but I enjoyed myself. I didn't restrict a single thing. I exercised every day, ate whatever I felt like, but was smart about portion sizes and other choices.

I came back from vacation my same weight. No gains. I was ecstatic.

This is what maintenance should feel like. No stress; just eating normal.

Treat a social situation like a chance to exercise your ability to eat at maintenance and be a normal person. No dieting, no counting calories, no weighing anything. Just use it to practice portion control, and make good choices.

Have some booze. Have some BBQ. Enjoy yourself. Realize it's one event, one meal, and not the end of the world. And move on.

This is part of developing a healthy relationship with food.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I stick to water so that I am not getting liquid calories and if I am going to eat foods where I don't know the calories I try not to eat a lot of it. If I know I'm going somewhere with a ton of huge calorie foods I will eat beforehand so I know how much I ate.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Nah. If I stuck to my calories every single day of my life, in two years I will be smokin' hot and I will have suffered through two years of family events while everyone else indulged and enjoyed themselves. I just try to pull a long run on those days, then it's not so bad. You gotta live, too.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I usually go over, but I try to be careful with my choices so I'm not way over. I keep an eye on my drinks, try to have small portions of dessert and rice/bread, and aim at eating more vegetables and meat/fish. I also often have a small plate of salad before the main meal to fill me up. I don't stress much about it though, if I want something, I'll have it. It will even out in a few days.

What I don't do is trying to stay low during the rest of the day or the days before/after. I've done it in the past and it never went well... If I eat too little during the day, I'm miserable all day long and by the time I get to the event I'm starving i.e. controlling myself is harder. Similarly for the days before or after. I'm already in a deficit and it's hard enough to keep it as it is. I find there's no reason to create a bigger one. In a few days the "damage" from the excess calories is undone.

What I find most dangerous about such events is the demoralizing, thinking that you messed up your diet and making this an excuse to go back to old eating habits. I used to do that a lot in the past, but I'm handling it way better now. This is another reason why I get back to normal without becoming stricter with my food the next day. It's a just bump on the road, but once you pass it you keep going at your normal speed.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    For special events, I don't worry much about the calories.

I'll eat 100 or so below my limit for a few days before, and a few days after, and I try to make decent choices... but I refuse to let the weight loss rule me to the point I can't enjoy spending time with family and friends.

Eating a cupcake at a cook out isn't going to make you gain everything back.

I consider it part of the learning experience of this. I will not be a hermit for the rest of my life, I'm not always going to have my food scale and measuring cups, I'm not always going to be the one to prepare my food, and I'll have to learn how to deal with social food situations after I hit goal. I need to change my relationship with food, yes, and that includes learning how to indulge in moderation. :)
  • Sadi_Kalen
    Sadi_Kalen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    absolutely not. one of the things i promised myself when i started this lifestyle change waz that i would not do this to myself. this is a forever deal for me. if i can't have the occasional treat meal or a blow-out day every now and again where i don't log obsessively then that's what this will become for me. an obsession, not a healthy lifestyle change.

the biggest changes i've made are - cutting out excess sugar wherever possible, drinking LOTS of water daily, exercising and changing up my walks (i walk to lose weight) so i'm challenged by different terrains and of course this - spiking my metabolism every now and again by having the occasional treat meal or treat day. i have now had 5 "cheat" days and the odd treat meal over the last 10 weeks and i've still lost almost 18 lbs.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes I count. I pull out my phone and enter things before I eat them, and if people ask what i'm doing I tell them. Sometimes they roll their eyes, sometimes they laugh, and sometimes they are supportive. In the end I don't really care what they think about it. My health and eating choices are my business and i'm not going to stop doing what works for me to make other people happy. That way fatness lies...

Some people say it's rude to not eat at an event. I say it's rude to expect me to eat like a glutton just because you prepared the food.

This doesn't mean I won't occasionally decide "today it's ok to go over by 500 calories", but I certainly don't do that every time somebody throws a bbq.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If I know that I'm going to go to a social event (example: wedding) later that night, I'll have a lighter breakfast & lunch to allow myself a larger dinner. Even better, hit the gym earlier that morning and you'll have even more calories that you can eat.
    OORRRR you can just not give a crap because it's ONE day. We didn't put on all this weight in one day, so ONE day won't kill you. :)Enjoy the party! Whatever you choose to do with your calories, have fun!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Since I don't plan to forgo treats at holidays and events for the rest of my life, I don't see the point in doing so now. Part of this journey is establishing a healthy relationship with food, and it's hard to do that if you're not eating as you plan to eat for life. Also, I enjoy sanity and do not enjoy deprivation, and watching other people eat things that I "can't" would just make me miserable. Having a reasonable portion of whatever I want just makes much more sense to me.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Nope. I only get to enjoy those types of things once in a blue moon so I just try to enjoy myself.