male bodybuilding competitors- I have a question?

My hubby and I don't agree, just want to see what other opinions might be.

Small show coming up - would of been considered level II before NPC got rid of levels.

There is a male 1st time competitor going into this show. He is over 40 middle weight. Coach wants to put him in Open class. I feel like he should be in Masters over 40. FYI there is no Novice.

I think Coach wants him in open since the coach will be competing in the over 40 and usually wins or places. I think coach should do open and newbie should do masters over 40.

Hubby says coach knows what he is doing and I should keep my opinion to myself.

Just curious, what are your opinions. I don't compete, I just watch. I do compete in horse shows and like to stick to my age group for a smaller playing field.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    That's between the guy and his coach. Really none of your business. I'm sure the guy knows which division his coach competes in and if he would rather do masters he can either do a different show or just go for it anyway. Nobody holds my hand when I pick my division. I don't think a coach should have to change divisions if that is their normal one.

ETA: If the guy is coming to you asking your opinion on it then that's something he needs to take up with his coach. If I had a client that wanted to compete in my division I'd pick another show for one or the other of us.

ETAA: I'm a female, but that shouldn't matter.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Depending on the contest, NPC contests usually allow competitors to compete in multiple divisions. Masters should be closer to novice. I think you lose the ability to compete in novice once you compete in open. It may depend on how high the open placing is. I think you're more on the right track than the coach.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    if he doesn't trust his coach's opinion he should fire him and look for someone else. if he does (which sounds like this is the case) then you are probably just nagging him

or he could just do both if the rules allow it
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Depending on the contest, NPC contests usually allow competitors to compete in multiple divisions. Masters should be closer to novice. I think you lose the ability to compete in novice once you compete in open. It may depend on how high the open placing is. I think you're more on the right track than the coach.

I disagree with you saying Master's should be closer to novice. The Master's I have seen compete would place top 3 in open easy. If he really wants to do novice he should pick a different show. There's nothing saying he has to do a specific show.

Local 40+ winner
    40_zps2a14018b.jpg
    Local 50+ winner
    50_zps011fe1b8.jpg
    Local 60+ winner
    60_zpsf2233790.jpg