Vegan Protein Powder Woes

Options
2»

Replies

• LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I drink garden of life vegan protein powder. I tried it in water and about puked but in a regular shake it's great and mixes well.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Muscle Egg is literally ALL EGG WHITES that are pasteurized and can be eaten 'raw'. I buy the Chocolate Caramel flavoring ( non dairy anything in them as I can't eat dairy proteins, and I believe they're vegan as well) and it's delicious as just a drink by itself! A bit on the expensive side...but it's a cost I suck up!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The problem with texture is what the source of protein is. Vega used to be really good because it had 5 different sources of vegan protein. However since it's inception, they have cheapened the product and changed the formulation (now it's Vega One) so in my personal opinion its just 'ordinary' now. You will be hard pressed to find one that does not contain stevia. Anything that is unsweetened will generally taste like dirt. If you really don't want the stevia, try Garden of Life Raw Meal. (tastes like dirt) You can add it to whatever ingredients you want in your smoothie. Texture is a problem for me too, so I drink my smoothies through a straw... always. Even Vega and Vega One when I do have them.

I currently drink Genuine Health Vegan Proteins +. I like it, and the texture is as smooth as the original Vega.

Also, if you are simply looking to increase your protein, you could try a supplement such as Chlorella (blue-green algae) it's got piles of protein and is what makes the original Vega green. You can add a powder to food / smoothies or you can take a capsule.
    Vega One is designed as a nutrional shake with some protein. Vega Sport Recovery is closest to Vega as you knew it. http://vegasport.com/product/performance-protein/
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Muscle Egg is literally ALL EGG WHITES that are pasteurized and can be eaten 'raw'. I buy the Chocolate Caramel flavoring ( non dairy anything in them as I can't eat dairy proteins, and I believe they're vegan as well) and it's delicious as just a drink by itself! A bit on the expensive side...but it's a cost I suck up!
    If a product contains eggs, it's not vegan.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    The problem with texture is what the source of protein is. Vega used to be really good because it had 5 different sources of vegan protein. However since it's inception, they have cheapened the product and changed the formulation (now it's Vega One) so in my personal opinion its just 'ordinary' now. You will be hard pressed to find one that does not contain stevia. Anything that is unsweetened will generally taste like dirt. If you really don't want the stevia, try Garden of Life Raw Meal. (tastes like dirt) You can add it to whatever ingredients you want in your smoothie. Texture is a problem for me too, so I drink my smoothies through a straw... always. Even Vega and Vega One when I do have them.

I currently drink Genuine Health Vegan Proteins +. I like it, and the texture is as smooth as the original Vega.

Also, if you are simply looking to increase your protein, you could try a supplement such as Chlorella (blue-green algae) it's got piles of protein and is what makes the original Vega green. You can add a powder to food / smoothies or you can take a capsule.
    Vega One is designed as a nutrional shake with some protein. Vega Sport Recovery is closest to Vega as you knew it. http://vegasport.com/product/performance-protein/

Correct. The original Vega was designed as a true meal replacement though; it met all the food guide criteria for a meal. and you could have actually lived on that alone. None of the Vega products do that now, with the exception of their bars.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If a product contains eggs, it's not vegan.

Oh, I apologize! I didn't know. I thought she was saying she was trying vegan but was really just trying to stay away from dairy. I didn't know how strict she was being!

So I guess if you're totally vegan, stay away from the egg whites! If it's just dairy stuff...try them!
  • CalicoMonroe
    Options
    If you eat a true vegan lifestyle that is plants, grains, legumes, and fruits you will not lack in protein and can forgo even drinking a protein drink.....you have to be specific because you could eat crap junk food all day and still be a vegan.

Go for whole plants, grains, legumes, and fruits. Eat a wide variety everyday and cut out the processed "vegan" garbage that is out there and again you will get plenty of protein without drinking a protein supplement.

I am a vegetarian and make sure that my primary source of protein comes from my foods and I can manage to get all of the protein that I need in a day (and I eat a high protein diet).
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I currently use Source Naturals Pea Protein. It's vegan and gluten free and far more affordable than Vega and most other vegan alternatives. The one major drawback though is that the stuff really does taste like peas. Unless you reeeeally love peas, I doubt you'd want to just mix it up in some water. I typically blend it into a big fruit smoothie and make a meal of it.