always hungry....... :-(

Options
For some reason I am doing something wrong. No matter how much I eat, whether it's a salad or one slice of pizza or whatever. I still have horrible hungry pains. Even if I drink a bottle of water before I eat. I stay within my calories and I've even gone over a little bit.
What should I do? Is this just from changing over from eating crap to eating healthier?

Replies

• CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Your calories may be empty calories that won't fill you as much. For instance, a slice of pizza is delicious and high in calories, but I know for myself, eating one or two slices won't satisfy me. Try fitting in more foods that will fill you up better and space out your meals throughout the day. Eat every few hours with smaller meals and it will help a lot more, since you won't feel like, "Oh my god I just had lunch but I'm already hungry and have to wait four or five more hours to eat again." Then you'll know you'll be eating in an hour or so and it won't be so bad.

You should look into your calories to make sure you aren't under eating. I started working out a bit more and when I started I didn't adjust my calories and was eating 1470 calories per day, and was hungry fairly often. After adjusting my calories to my workouts I bumped up my calories to around 2200 and feel so much better.

I just had lunch of chicken rice brussel sprouts and teriyaki. Ate 1/2 c of steel cut oats about an hour before and I am still slightly hungry, but I know I'll be eating in another couple of hours so I can deal with it until then.

If you want any advice on setting up meals to fit what you like to eat, and within your calorie range send me a message and I'll be glad to help you out. Good luck!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    I'd be still hungry too after a salad or only one piece of pizza.

What foods are you actually eating? What is your spread of calories throughout the day? Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    When I can't shake hunger I do a 36 hour fast.

It will shrink your stomach and then when it's over very small servings give you that full feeling you're missing.

Wash rinse and repeat.

I normally fast at least a couple times a year.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend that you keep your diary public that way we can offer suggestions / alternatives.

Eating healthier is relative, depends on who you ask. My definition of eating healthier would be to stay under your calorie goal, and I'd like to think that none of the food that I put into my body is "crap".
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    If you open your diary, I (and many others I'm sure) can give you some advice on how to get the most bang for your caloric buck. Trying to eat a diet high in protein, dietary fat, and complex carbs will ultimately lead you to be more satisfied.

**edited to make actual damn sense
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Is this just from changing over from eating crap to eating healthier?

This...your body will get used to the change. If you're always hungry, I don't recommend fasting. That will only bring on binging. Taken from WebMD here is what my research says. You can't "shrink" your stomach.
    Myth or Fact: If you cut down on your food intake, you'll eventually shrink your stomach so you won't be as hungry.

Answer: Myth. Once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach, says Moyad, but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan.

Myth or Fact: Thin people have naturally smaller stomachs than people who are heavy.

Answer: Myth. While it may seem hard to believe, the size of the stomach does not correlate with weight or weight control. People who are naturally thin can have the same size or even larger stomachs than people who battle their weight throughout a lifetime. "Weight has nothing to do with the size of the stomach. In fact, even people who have had stomach-reducing surgeries, making their tummy no larger than a walnut, can override the small size and still gain weight," says Levy.

http://www.webmd.com/women/features/stomach-problems
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Can't really give you a solution without your diary being public.

Would suggest maybe to eat a higher protein diet. Protein is what fills you up.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you are on birth control that can play a role. I have tried at least 2 different kinds (patch & depo shot) that made me feel like I was constantly starving.

If that is not the case it may help to drink more water. If I am feeling overly hungry and know I have eaten enough calories I drink water and go for a short walk. Sometimes that helps the feeling pass.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Try eating some more protein and cutting the simple carbs as much as possible.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    When I can't shake hunger I do a 36 hour fast.

It will shrink your stomach and then when it's over very small servings give you that full feeling you're missing.

Wash rinse and repeat.

I normally fast at least a couple times a year.

No, thanks.
  • jessybrain
    Options
    Following a fad diet, constantly eating low-fat foods or zero calorie foods can leave you hungry, always asking for more. Instead of achieving the desired weight loss, your diet may end up in weight gain. Carbohydrates without fat have a very high glycemic index. Consumption of such food can instantly raise your blood sugar levels. Incorporating such carbs in diet leads to quick conversion of sugar into fat and hence, your brain and your body may suffer from lack of energy. You should always choose a healthy weight loss diet. Not only diet but exercise also plays an important role in weight loss.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel less hungry when I am eating lots and lots of raw and cooked green vegetables.