Anybody doing P90x?

Options
2»

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I've officially gone through p90x once from start to finish and got great results. I'm currently doing my own modified version where I've broken out all of the individual moves for the Mon/Wed/Fri workouts and do them at the gym and then run/bike on the other days for cardio. This has allowed me to do a couple things:

1) Condensed the workouts from 55-60 min to right around 30-32 min
    2) Use heavier, progressive, weights. The first time I went through the program I was using bands as the heaviest weights that we had at the house were 10 lb dumbbells and I didn't have a pull-up bar either so I was using the bands for that as well.

I think it's a great program and I remember the first couple weeks just being sore ALL.THE.TIME! But if you make it through that then you should be good. Yoga is long! I usually would cut it short when I went through it, but it did help relieve ALOT of the muscle soreness the first couple weeks.

Hope it works for you and good luck!
  • kmkylemo
    kmkylemo Posts: 1,103
    Options
    I have the plyo today. Luckily I'm not too sore since I'm been running and lifting weights before starting the program. I know this is going to be one of the toughest days though and am putting it off until later this afternoon.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have the plyo today. Luckily I'm not too sore since I'm been running and lifting weights before starting the program. I know this is going to be one of the toughest days though and am putting it off until later this afternoon.

Basically plyo is 30 sec intervals of high impact moves. I consider myself in decent shape and it gasses me hard. I would recommend rather than trying to do 30 sec of each move and burning out completely half way through you instead do 15 seconds of each move so you get that extra room to breath in between, it'll still destroy you most likely trust me.

I mean on your first time through you can try to do the full 30 sec per move but if you can't don't feel bad about it, I can't do it. I wear a heart rate monitor and for the 60 min workout it says I'm in my aerobic range for 20 minutes. The reason it says that is that for 35 minutes I'm above my aerobic range at like 170+ bpm.
  • kmkylemo
    Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I always go out and try to kill every exercise so I don't want to be just drained 10 minutes in.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I always go out and try to kill every exercise so I don't want to be just drained 10 minutes in.

Plyo is the one routine in all of P90X that they give an alternate routine for in case you cannot do it. So yeah, it is tough.

If you can even do every move for half the time (15 sec) I think you are doing damn well. Oh well, you will see.
  • kmkylemo
    Options
    Yeah I'll post back on here a let everyone know how it went. I'm sure after I lie on the floor for half an hour recovering lol.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    One thing I will say about P90X is I think it is a fantastic way to really push yourself and take your cardiovascular fitness and muscle endurance to new levels. I do not, however, think its particularly a good muscle-building or strength-building routine. Seems like the moves come to fast and furious without adequate rest so you are forced to use lower weight as a result.

I think its great for your endurance and fitness and for weight loss along with diet. I very much doubt I will be making muscle or even strength gains with this though given I'm at calorie deficit for weight loss.

Don't get me wrong I think its great, but I also think all those "before after" pictures that end with a greek-god body what you are seeing is someone who had a greek-god body and a little bit of pudge covering it losing that pudge and that's it. Don't expect miracles.
  • kmkylemo
    Options
    Yeah I'm going to be realistic when in comes to my expectations. I really just want that shredded look. As far as strength is concerned I just want to be able to control my own body like with push ups, pull ups, jumping and stuff.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm in my third week of P90X.

have fun with the plyo.
    There's plyo? Urgh...
  • kmkylemo
    Options
    I just finished the plyo and it is definitely tough. The 15 second idea really came in handy. There were times I got really tired right at the beginning of one of the moves but I just told myself to get at least through the first 15 seconds of each and for the most part I pushed myself past 20 seconds. I really liked the sports part at the end too. Being a former pitcher in baseball I found that part a lot of fun.