At home weight lifting for beginners ?

Options
Just wondering if anyone knows of any good sites that give a step by step for weight lifting at home ? resistance bands, or lights weights ? as well as body weight exercise for someone just starting out ?

My husband just ordered us some yoga mats, a medicine ball, and some dumbbells, so id like to have a good lifting work out routine to add to my cardio.

Replies

• mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Following, interested to see suggestions as well!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just got 3 books-The New Rules of Lifting for Women, The New Rules of Lifting for Abs and The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged

I have read on the fourms that these are the best books for beginners in weight lifting, I just started reading the one for women, haven't gotten that far into yet but I think that is a good starting point.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I know of 2 websites:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/

http://www.freetrainers.com/

I only ever workout at home.. I hate the gym so these both have done me well. You do have to sign up but its all free. I find free trainers is a little easier to work your way around if your not that good with computers. Body builders requires a little more exploration.

ETA: feel free to add me as a friend!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com

YouTube also has lots of great videos to teach you proper form
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme really helped me out when I first started lifting, for at home workouts. It's a bit pricey, I thought it was worth it though. Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones is great also, but it's low weight high rep, so it will only take you so far (you won't build much strength, but your endurance for lifting will get a huge benefit for this workout). For NMTZ light weights is great, but if you want a comparison I used to do NMTZ with 5lbs, got up to 8 and stopped seeing much benefit, until I did Chalean, then went back did NMTZ with 20lb weights, lol.

Both of those plans are great though if you are a combination of antisocial and visual learner like me :) I don't like going to a trainer, I don't like asking for help. Not great traits, I know, but it is what it is. So essentially, I watched the form and the moves on these videos then bumped up the weights, lowered the reps and got loads stronger.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com

A whole lot of videos for everything!
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women was a great program for me, although it does incorporate barbell work. Its sounds like you aren't set up for that quite yet. You can start out with that book, and use dumbbells for now. http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398

Nia Shanks has a great Bodyweight workout guide, and she has other programs too. http://www.niashanks.com/the-beautiful-badass-bodyweight-guide2/
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I just got 3 books-The New Rules of Lifting for Women, The New Rules of Lifting for Abs and The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged

I have read on the fourms that these are the best books for beginners in weight lifting, I just started reading the one for women, haven't gotten that far into yet but I think that is a good starting point.

I have a LOT of friends that have had success with New Rules of Lifting for Women, and so I'd recommend it as well. The video recommendations were tossed out there because honestly I can't seem to do fitness from a book, I have to have something to actually watch to stay on track :)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any good sites that give a step by step for weight lifting at home ? resistance bands, or lights weights ? as well as body weight exercise for someone just starting out ?

My husband just ordered us some yoga mats, a medicine ball, and some dumbbells, so id like to have a good lifting work out routine to add to my cardio.
    Easy and free.....
    Leaning pushups against a wall.
    Then to a table.
    Then a desk.
    Then maybe stairs.
    Something a little lower.
    Then to your knees.
    Then a real pushup.

If you work yourself up to whatever number you want and depending on your strength this could take you quite awhile. Once you get comfortable and it is much easier, drop down to a lower item to lean on.
  • melly0907
    melly0907 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the great feedback !! Ill be checking out all these sites and books =)
  • 1_Ton_Lady
    1_Ton_Lady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • Janlo26
    Janlo26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This site has mega info on everything to do with lifting:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/forum.php

I second the book The New Lifting for Women.

All the best in your quest!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    sounds like everthing you need for p90x2. not for beginners tho
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just ordered The New Rules of Lifting for Women book. I'm waiting for it to arrive. Until then I found a beginner book at Walmart, it's called Women's Health 15-Minute Training Guide, It has great beginner strength workouts and also some educational information, tips, and recipes.
  • mrob04
    mrob04 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have personally seen great results from Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and ripped in 30. The videos are very great and have varying levels of difficulty and options. Also, she uses lighter weights and would be great for a beginner. I use heavier ones now,(10lbs) but started with 3lbs dumbbells. I love the vids because they combine plyo, ligth weights and cardio... Also, you can find them on YouTube. GL with your journey!

Once you are in your groove, I would suggest Stronglifts 5x5.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym so do most of my workouts at home. I have kettlebells but do lots without them too. I do squats, snatch, deadlift and a few other things with the kettlebells but I also do things like press ups, sit ups, planks, lunges etc without them. I just Googled for Kettlebell workouts and body weight workouts and just put my own routine together.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 45thin
    45thin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump for the great info!!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cbathletics

This is one of the best sites I've found for serious body weight training.