treadmill workout with incline on highest setting

Options
hi guys!
I hope i'm posting this in the right spot. I'm new to mfp. I used to be totally in shape, and I totally dropped the ball and am pretty much starting back at square one. I used to go to the gym 4 or 5 days a week, do 60 minutes of cardio and (minimal) core training focusing on a different muscle group each day. My cardio consisted of the treadmill, with the incline all the way up and the speed alternating every three minutes between speeds of 3.7 and 4.5. Now, 5 years later, I'm starting at 30 minutes at a speed of 2.8. I'm very out of shape. I've been looking around on the internet, and it's being recommended that you do not hang on to the treadmill otherwise the workout loses much of the calorie burning benefits. I keep my hands on the top of the treadmill otherwise I would just slide right off. How on earth can I do this without holding on? And, if i'm incorrect, do any of you guys recommend anything for your hands? My hands are hurting from hanging on....

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    maybe don't put the treadmill at such an incline that requires you to hold on to exercise.
  • malloryorwhatever
    Options
    It super charged my weight loss, so I'm pretty set on keeping it in my routine. I'm just curious if there's a better, more effective way of getting it done...
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be better off dropping your incline to 2-3% and increase your speed slightly. This would allow you to not have to hold on. You'd see better results from this than trying to fight the steep incline.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    It super charged my weight loss, so I'm pretty set on keeping it in my routine. I'm just curious if there's a better, more effective way of getting it done...

well, you'd likely burn more calories not holding on...so there's that.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

If you are holding on, you are offsetting the work of walking up the incline. EG, if someone walks at 2.8 mph and 10% but has to hold on, they might only be doing the equivalent of, say 2.6 mph and 6%. So why not just work out at the lower level, since that's all you are doing anyway?

Walking uphill unsupported requires some training to develop the right stride and to maintain your body position. But it can be done by most people (who don't have physical issues). It doesn't require a lot of skill.

As you get better, you can walk at steeper inclines and get even more benefit.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Don't hold on. Not only does it burn fewer calories, you can mess up your posture and risk injury. You will need to lower your incline and gradually raise it until you can balance and exercise without holding on. You will get there.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I like to hike in the mountains, so I frequently will train for this on the steepest incline. Super easy to do without holding on, just like hiking uphill. You should work up to this though, you are asking for injury.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I would definately reduce your incline until your body can build up the strength. You should be able to walk at that incline without holding on, if you can't then you haven't built up the strength yet. Just give it time, you'll get there! :smile: :flowerforyou: