(My Story) From 190 to 170 to Plateau to Quitting

Options
medlaura
medlaura Posts: 282 Member
2 years ago this day i joined myfitnesspal. started eating 1000-1200 calories a day (ate clean 80% of the time) and worked out regularly 60-90 minutes a day. I mostly did the elliptical because it was easier for me then running and burned 2X the calories.

June 2012 my start weight was 190, i was obsessed with my scale, weigh in everyday for 3 months, that is what helped me stay focused and pushed me to try a little harder that day.

August 2012 i weighed in at 170 pounds (lowest I've seen my weight since 2010, so i was happy)

THEN, i hit a plateau, I was so frustrated. I was working so hard and only lost 1 pound a week. Where as before I was losing 3-4 pounds a week. So I just quit. Why work hard when i didn't lose weight.

At the time i didn't know what a plateau was (I actually learned what it was this year when a gym trainer mentioned it). Basically, it's when you lose some much weight in such little time that your body is just trying to catch up with the changes, therefore you don't lose as much weight as you once did when you started.

If only i would of known this 2 years ago. I am now weigh in at 215 pounds. It sucks knowing i have to start all over again. But i'm glad that i am aware of that evil Plateau!

Moral of the story: Don't quit, the Plateau is out to get you, don't let it win. don't give up!

Replies

• Joyfulkneves23
    Joyfulkneves23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is just what I needed today. The first month I was losing 2 – 3 pounds every week and now this month I have not lost a pound. I am still staying within my calorie range and I still work out every day. I was starting to get very discouraged until I read your post. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going, I was really thinking about quitting.

I am sure you will have great success now that you are aware of the evil Plateau :)
  • medlaura
    Options
    This is just what I needed today. The first month I was losing 2 – 3 pounds every week and now this month I have not lost a pound. I am still staying within my calorie range and I still work out every day. I was starting to get very discouraged until I read your post. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going, I was really thinking about quitting.

I am sure you will have great success now that you are aware of the evil Plateau :)

This is why i posted this, for people that are in the plateau phase. I hope it makes a difference.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight in college, this is exactly how it was for me.

I started at 245, and in 6 months I'd dropped down to 195. From there to 175 took me -forever- Though I was too frustrated to see that it was still coming off.

I wish I'd been patient. I wish I hadn't given up. I gained it all back and then some until I hit 268 and began again.

I won't quit on myself this time. Every ounce is a win.
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options

This is why i posted this, for people that are in the plateau phase. I hope it makes a difference.

It does your awesome thanks! Ive gotta lose over 70 pounds :indifferent: :frown:
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this time around you bypass the scale and focus on this as a lifestyle change not some journey that has to be quick. Goodl luck! You can do it
  • medlaura
    Options
    The first time I lost weight in college, this is exactly how it was for me.

I started at 245, and in 6 months I'd dropped down to 195. From there to 175 took me -forever- Though I was too frustrated to see that it was still coming off.

I wish I'd been patient. I wish I hadn't given up. I gained it all back and then some until I hit 268 and began again.

I won't quit on myself this time. Every ounce is a win.

But now we know first hand the dedication it takes! we did it once we can do it again and this time till we hit our goal and stay there :flowerforyou:
  • medlaura
    Options
    Hopefully this time around you bypass the scale and focus on this as a lifestyle change not some journey that has to be quick. Goodl luck! You can do it

Thanks this time around, THANK GOD i am not a scale freak :drinker:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 307 to 179 over several years and the hardest was definitely the range of 186-199 for some reason! I feel like I spent the first half of this year, almost, bouncing around in there. Not goin' back.

What helped me break that though was changing my setting from 1.5 lb per week to 1 lb per week. I had about 3 weeks with no loss when I started that, and wondered if I'd made a mistake, but from then on I've been losing steadily again.

Good luck!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    W00T! Keep going! it is A life time of fitness!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :smile:

I was very unmotivated today. I am NOT going to give up!!!!
  • Sddysart
    Sddysart Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting that info.... I am fairly new here started the end of March and lost 21 lbs very quickly. I have been stuck for several weeks at the same weigh but I am loosing inches. It can be very discouraging when the scale doesn't reflect a loss in numbers.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Switching up your training can help you bust through a plateau. Try something new or *gasp* add weight training!

Also remember that as you get smaller it becomes more difficult to lose in a healthful way because you have less to let go of.

Safe and recommended weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. Anything faster than this and you're setting yourself for potential metabolic and psychological damage. Like you said, every ounce is a win! As long as the number is moving in the right direction - it's working!
  • medlaura
    Options
    Thank you for posting that info.... I am fairly new here started the end of March and lost 21 lbs very quickly. I have been stuck for several weeks at the same weigh but I am loosing inches. It can be very discouraging when the scale doesn't reflect a loss in numbers.

You are not the only one, I think measuring is the way to go when you hit a plateau. Correct me if i'm wrong..
  • rubbie78
    rubbie78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thank you! I have been stuck since May 25th and it is now June 11th. Not long plateau but only seeing +/-1 to 2lbs throughout this time (2.5 weeks). Basically the scale as not moved below the last pound loss. I have just been gaining 1-2 lbs then losing those 1-2lbs. Yea me right? :-(

So happy you came back and you will see results soon again! I'm headed to the gym now. You motivated me
  • rubbie78
    rubbie78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

You are not the only one, I think measuring is the way to go when you hit a plateau. Correct me if i'm wrong..

Good answer. I think I will start measuring too. Do you measure in the morning just like you would do for the scale?
  • medlaura
    Options

Good answer. I think I will start measuring too. Do you measure in the morning just like you would do for the scale?

Yes i measure in the mornings as well :-)
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    great information HUn! I never lost enough to hit the "evil plateau" but its good to know for when i get there!! :bigsmile:
  • AllisonPlease
    AllisonPlease Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love your honesty and openness. Very Motivating!
  • wnt2bhlthy4me
    wnt2bhlthy4me Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yep, right there with you. Been stuck at 189-192 for about a month back and forth. Good post.
  • Patsy9
    Patsy9 Posts: 5
    Options
    This is what I'm doing and I think it could help you.

Make a list and list all the things you learned from regaining the weight that you wouldn't have learned if you just kept losing.

Talk about how it feels internally and externally and truly appreciate how much more meaningful your journey will be this time around.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!