where to start??

Options
I am 23 years old and i weigh 267 pounds. Sadly but true and this depresses me. I dont like how i look anymore at all and even ashamed.. I cant even walk past a mirror because i refuse to look at myself. i used to exercise alot but when my aunt and dad passed away in less than 6 months from each other i just stop caring and def. let myself go completely..Now im huge.....Now its time i stop blaming my depression for the cause of my weight gain and do something about it..but the thing about it is i dont know where to start now... i work a 8am to 6 job monday to fridays and i work on sundays from 2-11 at a part time job to help pay for school... Anyone out there willing to stir me in the right direction :):flowerforyou:

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    First off Welcome and You can do this, these links will help you get started

Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit: Most people do not need to eat 1200 calories to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Log your food accurately and honestly this thread will help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! You are definitely going to find that MFP helps! My starting weight was very close to yours! All you have to do to "start" is eat less calories than you burn. You don't have to make time for anything or feel like you need to completely overhaul your diet. You can eat the exact same things as you are currently eating, just less. Its so easy its a joke! Stay under your calorie goal for a week and get on the scale at the end of the week. You will realize that counting calories WORKS! Once you see the first few pounds off you are going to be hooked! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • brittanysmith513
    brittanysmith513 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm the same age as you, and about the same weight. I'm trying to start over. I had lost a bit, but then gained it back after I left my husband last year. Feel free to add me :)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    All you have to do to "start" is eat less calories than you burn. You don't have to make time for anything or feel like you need to completely overhaul your diet. You can eat the exact same things as you are currently eating, just less.

^^ This!

You don't need to exercise to lose weight, if that is what you are worried about (finding the time/motivation). I think you'll find that after you've lost some weight by eating less, you will WANT to move more and the exercise part will come naturally.

Use the MFP guidelines to determine how many calories you need to eat each day to lose weight. You can do it!!

Sorry for the loss of your dad and aunt.
  • cclair1974
    cclair1974 Posts: 16
    Options
    You have been through a lot, but you have all ready started on your new journey. You have decided to do something about it. You are focusing on finding the you that you will love. Stay positive. It did not take one week to put on the weight, it will take more than one week to lose it. Go for a walk, take the stairs, park further away, get off the bus a stop earlier- anything is a start. These changes are all wonderful and will help energize you to do more. There are now many healthy alternatives that can quench cravings. Enter all you put in your mouth, that can tell you when you are having "binge" times. I learned that I must have an apple with me and eat it before I get home to make dinner, because I was inhaling anything not nailed down. Just stay motivated. If you stray from the new lifestyle, back to your old ways- do not beat yourself up. Just pick yourself up, figure out why you slipped and learn from it. Each mistake will prepare you for the next time, each accomplishment will drive you to continue. I am just now trying to get back in the swing of things, trying to take my own advice. I wish you luck.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Don't worry, it all (fitness, weight, health, happiness) comes back with exercise.

My recommendation is to start small with things that you know you can achieve. It's great to have an end-goal in mind but the smaller stepping stones will be motivational mile-markers to help you get there. By this I mean two things:
    1) Weight loss is a perfectly acceptable goal. While you may have an end number in mind, pick something smaller as a first goal - maybe 5 or 10 pounds to start with. WHEN you accomplish this, CELEBRATE IT in whatever way is meaningful to you that doesn't involve food as a reward.
    2) Set some process rather than outcome goals too. Again, start with something manageable for you and not what the internet tells you should be manageable. You can always grow and increase from there. Maybe something like a 30-minute walk around the neighborhood 3 days a week for exercise. If you are totally new to the site, another great goal is to promise yourself to log everything you eat, maybe not even every single day to start. Don't worry to much about restricting your diet until you get a handle on what you're currently eating and into the habit of logging everyday. Take what you learn in the first week or two and set additional goals from there that can target in on lowering carbs, hitting protein macros... whatever you find is an area for improvement. Research shows that simply logging your intake, without conscious modification to your diet, will help you be more aware of what you're eating and have positive dietary effects.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    First off Welcome and You can do this, these links will help you get started

Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit: Most people do not need to eat 1200 calories to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Log your food accurately and honestly this thread will help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^this

welcome! And read up :P
  • gaucincyn
    gaucincyn Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you guys for the awesome advice :) i Really appreciate it!!!