Need help with macros

Options
Hey guys,

I'm a guy, 6'1", about 208 lbs. My bf% is around 20%. I just started the Power 90 routine, which is 6 days a week working out from home, alternating cardio and weights. My goal is to lose more body fat and retain/gain muscle. I want to get to 15% initially. I'm currently consuming about 1,800 calories per day.

My question is, what should my macros look like? Some are saying I should be eating low carb / high protein diet. Some are saying they should be equal. I'm getting conflicting reports.

Can you please help me get my nutrition in order?

Thanks

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    When cutting, I personally set a protein target and a fat target, try to reach them every day, and let the remainder of the calories come from where they may. I would target about 1.2 or 1.3g of protein per pound of lean body mass -- so in your case is sounds like about 200g of protein per day. I would also target 0.35g fat per pound of body weight - so in your case about 73g of fat. Once you hit those, the rest can be more fat / protein / or carbs.

ETA: I don't worry about percentages, and my protein and fat targets don't adjust with logged exercise even though MFP adjusts them all because it is based on percentages. I just hit the hard numbers and go from there. If you do a bit of searching you'll find a number of reasons why I chose the targets I did -- basically certain recent studies.
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. So protein is calculated based on lean body mass and fat is calculated based on the entire body mass? Is that correct?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. So protein is calculated based on lean body mass and fat is calculated based on the entire body mass? Is that correct?

Correct.