New vegetarian questions

I am a new vegetarian. I quit eating meat two weeks ago, and I've been doing pretty well. I lost 9 pounds in two weeks! I started this on the advice of my doctor. I have crohn's disease and she said that quitting meat would help, and it has! I need some advice on good protein sources that aren't too high in fat or in fiber. Fat really upsets my stomach, and too much fiber causes life threatening bowel obstructions.

Is there anyone out there who can give me good advice on how to get more protein in my diet? I need it to feel full and satiated, but need to limit fat and fiber.

Replies

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    bump
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Yikes, many of the vegetarian protein sources I eat tend to have fibre or fat in them legumes, nuts. Tofu doesn't seem to have too much but if I were you I would consult a professional nutritionist considering your conditions. There might be a forum somewhere for people living with crohn's as well and they would be far more capable of answering this question.
  • lisameister13
    lisameister13 Posts: 10 Member
    This is tough-- high protein and low fiber.
    I think tofu is pretty low in fiber, but a good protein source!
    I think lentils aren't too high in fiber.
    Low fat dairy products.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Seitan is high-protein and doesn't have much fiber. There's always soy milk and tofu. And veggie burgers (check the fat, it varies willdly). I assume that bean are not an option due to fiber.

Smoothies with protein powder as well maybe?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I am a new vegetarian. I quit eating meat two weeks ago, and I've been doing pretty well. I lost 9 pounds in two weeks! I started this on the advice of my doctor. I have crohn's disease and she said that quitting meat would help, and it has! I need some advice on good protein sources that aren't too high in fat or in fiber. Fat really upsets my stomach, and too much fiber causes life threatening bowel obstructions.

Is there anyone out there who can give me good advice on how to get more protein in my diet? I need it to feel full and satiated, but need to limit fat and fiber.

PROTEIN LOW IN FIBER
    eggs
    peanut butter and other nut butters -- the kind with no sugar
    cottage cheese
    tofu
    Fish is not for vegetarians but maybe it is something you can digest.

Quinoa is a grain that has protein.

Cooked or canned fruit might be digestible - apples, plums, pears, carrots, green beans (no skins)
    Other fruits -- soft cantaloupe,honeydew
    Low fiber vegetables --avocados,. . .

Good luck.
  • Kristinm78910
    Kristinm78910 Posts: 1 Member
    Greek yogurt is a great source of vegetarian protein too
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Thank you so much for your help. I'll see what I can do with tofu and seitan. I have a friend who makes her own seitan and get her recipe!