How do you feel about cheat days?

Options
13»

Replies

• SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Do I have to tell my significant other I'm cheating?? :huh:

My cheat days are actually those times when I am with both my dad and kids. We usually end up going out to eat somewhere. Yes, I try and log all of what I eat. Some restaurants are not on MFP so I shoot for the closest one.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat days. I barely have treat days and my treats are 100 calorie frozen greek yogurts. Its the daily cheat days that got me into this mess in the first place. So as it stands right now...no cheat days...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I consider Sunday to be my treat day but not my cheat day. I try to limit my sweets and other refined carbs but always have dessert and usually some sort of bread/pasta that day. Everything still gets measured and logged--I go a bit over goal for the day but for the week I'm still at/under goal.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My body logs them so I log them. I log everything but don't sweat going over every once in awhile. Logging keeps that "once in awhile" commitment honest.

Some people need the time off from logging to stay accountable. Other people need to log every last bite. What works for you?
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Don't like 'em one bit! If anything, cheat days help you gain pounds and lose ground! I tried weekly cheats at lunch, where I would reach for a fairly reasonable dessert, during part 1 of my Battle of the Bulge. I think...nay, I KNOW that that's what blew me up to 210 lbs. I agree that if my body records calories, I should do so, no matter what. However, it is frustrating to find that, as another member said, not all items are known to MyFitnessPal, so I have to run the risk of not being fully honest about consumption.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie though, when I hit my goal I am eating an entire box of mac n cheese like the old days. Or a bag of Doritos.

Hahahaa... this made me laugh. The truth is, once you get there, you will probably be perfectly content with a fraction of the box/bag and ask yourself, "How did I ever choke down this whole thing?"
  • SamiDee12
    SamiDee12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am okay with cheat days, as long as you don't overdo it. Otherwise, you can easily soar above your calorie intake and stall your weight loss progress. I try not to do a whole cheat day, but just a cheat meal. I eat like I usually do all day, and then at dinner I may eat at my favorite restaurant and have some dessert. Instead of once a week, you may want to try once a month or once every other week. I think the point of a cheat meal is really more of a mental break from dieting, but after getting used to logging and portion control, I hardly need one as often.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, and don't like them. Either you're serious about wanting to lose---or you're not. When there are holidays or special occasions I eat alot more, but always log it and exercise to even out. Best of luck. :smile:
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand the rationale for "cheat days." To me, the ultimate goal of weightloss should be to assume a lifestyle where you are comfortable in the diet, exercise pattern, and, well, lifestyle that you choose, and don't have this dichotomy in your brain of "cheat day" and "other days." Which, to me, would set me up for thinking "cheat days are GREAT!" and non-cheat days are the hell you must endure until you can have your cheat day.

I decided I'd rather set myself up for long-term success by establishing a lifestyle where every day is a day you're happy to be in because you have a system you can live with and enjoy all the time--and be proud of, and confident in. Rather than this day where I give myself the latitude to overeat, and then feel like I'm restricting myself the other days. I don't consider any of my days restrictive--or indulgent (which makes me feel guilty and self-loathing knocks on my door)--they are just how I've set up my life. If I stick to it 90% of the time, barring vacations and special occasions, I'm ok with that.

So if you must do a cheat day, have at it, but I hope that the other days in your week you're just as happy!

Perfectly put. Cheat days may not wreck your progress for the week, but they can wreck the mentality that leads to sustained loss.
  • Lindzpnc
    Lindzpnc Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I still don't know how I feel about this.. do you know how exhausting it is to constantly think about food and portions and continue to measure everything?!!? I want to say im trying NOT to believe in cheat days and have the stuff I want worked into my calorie budget but at the same time I know the day I hit Goal and transition into maintenance (or for my birthday) I don't want to give a single thought to calories and portions!

sorry I wasn't much help. Right now my goal is to stay out of the RED always but Im also trying to understand this whole weightloss science as a whole so I have bigger issues! :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I still don't know how I feel about this.. do you know how exhausting it is to constantly think about food and portions and continue to measure everything?!!? I want to say im trying NOT to believe in cheat days and have the stuff I want worked into my calorie budget but at the same time I know the day I hit Goal and transition into maintenance (or for my birthday) I don't want to give a single thought to calories and portions!

sorry I wasn't much help. Right now my goal is to stay out of the RED always but Im also trying to understand this whole weightloss science as a whole so I have bigger issues! :)

I just don't understand this. What is "exhausting" about clicking in your calories? It takes me 10 mins tops 3 times a day. And usually less. If you can't wait to stop counting, it doesn't bod well for your maintenance phase. Alot of people slide back once they quit. I'm hoping you won't, and will come to grips with counting. Best of luck. :smile:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I usually feel like Mexican on a "cheat day."

If you want a cheat day, you are going to have to exercise.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Cheat MEAL and not cheat DAY will make a big difference.
  • Lindzpnc
    Lindzpnc Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I just don't understand this. What is "exhausting" about clicking in your calories? It takes me 10 mins tops 3 times a day. And usually less. If you can't wait to stop counting, it doesn't bod well for your maintenance phase. Alot of people slide back once they quit. I'm hoping you won't, and will come to grips with counting. Best of luck. :smile:

lol ive been at this 5 years!!!! started at 358 lbs and still not at goal-(got married, had a baby in between) when I have friends that can eat a whole meal and here I am portioning out a half cup of this or that and measuring 4 oz of protein... and then the moment I even look at a cupcake ive gained 3 lbs yes it is exhausting! you may not understand it but it doesn't make it invalid!