Calories In Vs Out OR Meal Plan Guide?

Options
Hello everyone!

I currently use a FitBit Flex, which allows you to view your calories that you have burned vs. the calories that you log from your meals. I am looking to lose 2 lbs. a day, which I stated in my food plan. Therefore, I'd be intaking about 1,500 cals/day.

My question is: which is more important? Following a 1,500 calorie meal plan every day, or monitoring your calories in vs. the calories you have burned? If monitoring your calories in vs. calories burned is going to achieve a more accurate weight loss, then what should the ratio be between calories in vs. calories out be to achieve 2 lbs. a week loss?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    To lose 2lbs a week, you'd have to create a calorie deficit of 1,000 calories every day.
    With only 20 pounds to lose, such a huge deficit really isn't realistic or healthy. You should aim to lose no more than 1lb a week, which requires a calorie deficit of 500 calories a day.

To create a deficit of 500 calories, you have to know your approximate maintenance calories.

These are some really awesome and helpful links. I highly recommend reading them:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I currently use a FitBit Flex, which allows you to view your calories that you have burned vs. the calories that you log from your meals. I am looking to lose 2 lbs. a day, which I stated in my food plan. Therefore, I'd be intaking about 1,500 cals/day.

My question is: which is more important? Following a 1,500 calorie meal plan every day, or monitoring your calories in vs. the calories you have burned? If monitoring your calories in vs. calories burned is going to achieve a more accurate weight loss, then what should the ratio be between calories in vs. calories out be to achieve 2 lbs. a week loss?

Thanks guys!
    7000 cal deficit. eating at def and burning by exercise.