Flabby Stomach

Options
I am losing weight but it all seems to be in my hips/legs. I am having a terrible time dropping weight from my stomach. I am just wondering what are some good exercises for getting rid of belly fat? I usually do walking as my weight loss and am looking to add toning of my stomach in the mix.

Replies

• natashabefit
    Options
    Bump!
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    You can tone your abs with core exercises like crunches, planks, etc but unfortunately fat loss isn't body part specific. The abdomen is usually the area that has the most fat and therefore the last place to go. Do some more intense cardio if you can to ramp up your fat loss add in strength training and ab targeting moves. Check out some YouTube videos a few times a week.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering what are some good exercises for getting rid of belly fat?

All exercises burn fat, but no exercise targets fat from one part of the body. It doesn't work that way. For an explanation, Google "spot reduction myth".
    Basically just follow a normal, typical fat loss plan, which involves a calorie deficit and full-body strength training. Follow a good strength program, like NROL or Stronglifts. Don't modify the program to target your fatty areas more. You'll lose weight in the reverse order that you gained it, regardless of which muscles you work.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    As per the previous poster, you can't spot reduce areas. Keep tracking your macros and have your deficit in place. Our bodies will lose fat wherever it pleases, and unfortunately, the stomach area is the last place for most of us to reduce.

A good progressive resistance program is a good place to start. Starting Strength, Stronglifts, NROLFW, ICF, etc.....

Also, just because you can't target belly fat, doesn't mean you can't exercise your core and make it stronger. In my opinion, crunches and sit ups are useless, they do more harm then good: Most of my core work comes from compound exercises, once in a while i'll do some isolation work

Here are some of my go to exercises for core:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Planks
    L-sits
    V-holds
    Rollouts

Hope this helps OP
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This helps me too :) thanks