Overestimating: Am I the only one?

Options
JassiBear
JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
So what I mean by overestimating is this: I'm logging my food... I don't always use measuring cups, say a sprinkle of cheese.. or a tablespoon of peanut-butter. I just kind of visualize and approximate, but when I log it, I always log a larger amount than I think I actually used just to be on the safe side calorie-wise and not go over my goal...because I heard that most people eyeball larger portions than are actually the proper portion size. This is mostly just laziness on my part and lack of measuring cups lol...

Also I just use an 8oz foam drinking cup to measure out my cups, half cups, 1/3 cups, and so on... is that okay and does anyone else do this? I also just use a leveled out table-spoon (never heaping) to measure out a tablespoon. Am I the only one that does any of these things?

Replies

• mbbseb
    mbbseb Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be ok as long as you are reaching your goals. If you are not then you may want to start using measuring cups & utensils. We need to make this as easy for us as possible because it is a lifestyle change. So if it's working for you then keep doing it.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always do that. I over-estimate my food, and round-down with my exercise calories. I know for a fact that it's inaccurate. And that might be hindering me from losing quite as quickly as other people do. But I'm really not concerned about that at all.
  • JassiBear
    Options
    Yeah, I've never noticed this hindering my weight loss goals...
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think it is why I am losing .75 lbs. per week instead of 1 lb. But I do weigh everything I make or eat at home but when I eat out, I have to estimate.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You should invest in a food scale; it's much easier and you'll be getting accurate results (i.e. you CANNOT get accurate results of serving sizes with DRY foods using tools for measuring LIQUIDS)
  • JassiBear
    Options
    You should invest in a food scale; it's much easier and you'll be getting accurate results (i.e. you CANNOT get accurate results of serving sizes with DRY foods using tools for measuring LIQUIDS)

Hey Aries, I actually have a question about measuring dry food... like what exactly do you use to measure dry food? Everything is in ounces and I don't know the difference between a fluid ounce and a ..."non-fluid" ounce.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I only do that if it's something low calorie. Like I'm not going to worry about a few strawberries or kale, but peanut butter, oil, fatty snacks, etc I'm going to measure, because a few extra peanuts IS a lot of calories.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would starve doing that. Knowing that I don't have a good eye for it, I just use a kitchen scale. It works for me
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    OP your method would drive me nuts. Accuracy matters. It takes no extra time to do it right.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,092 Member
    Options
    OP your method would drive me nuts. Accuracy matters. It takes no extra time to do it right.

Accuracy does not matter if you are reaching your goals with what you are doing.

I estimate some things.
    Have reached my goal despite lack of accuracy .

If OP is steadily reaching her goal, them what she is doing is fine - if not making any progress, tighten measuring accuracy.
    If making progress with what you are doing, continue doing it.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Options

Hey Aries, I actually have a question about measuring dry food... like what exactly do you use to measure dry food? Everything is in ounces and I don't know the difference between a fluid ounce and a ..."non-fluid" ounce.

WATCH THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5sovhvLAig
  • JassiBear
    Options
    Thanks Aries!
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Options
    No problem...lots of great info from those videos!

Most of which I'm too lazy to type. =]
  • xxmestxx
    xxmestxx Posts: 21
    Options

Fluid ounces are measured by volume and non fluid ounces are measured by weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your other topic is part of the reason here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1317682-i-don-t-log-my-exercise-is-that-bad

If it is working, that's great. But if you get to the point of stalling, I would suggest dialling in accuracy. Even though you are consciously over estimating, you may still be underestimating, especially with higher calorie foods like peanut butter.
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    I do the same, and so far it works great for me.
  • JassiBear
    Options
    I'm guessing your other topic is part of the reason here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1317682-i-don-t-log-my-exercise-is-that-bad

If it is working, that's great. But if you get to the point of stalling, I would suggest dialling in accuracy. Even though you are consciously over estimating, you may still be underestimating, especially with higher calorie foods like peanut butter.

Good advice, and yes.
  • JassiBear
    Options

Fluid ounces are measured by volume and non fluid ounces are measured by weight.

I need to invest in a food scale............ where do you buy those at?
  • MyDynamicJourney
    Options
    What I do is measure and/or weigh my food the first time so I know what it looks like. Sometimes I use a specific jar each time so i get it close to the correct measurement.. When I prep food it works out great if you have to weigh/measure as you do it one time a week.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Options

I need to invest in a food scale............ where do you buy those at?

Anywhere they'd have kitchen utensils...Walmart, Target, Kohls, etc.