My feet fall to sleep!!!

Options
So this is a little werid....About 14 minutes into getting on my elliptical my feet start to fall asleep. I thought maybe it is the shoes so I tried another pair and the same thing happened! Is it something I am doing or is it just my feet??? Let me know if you guys have any ideas what I should do. :) Thanks Pals!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it happens to me too, and in a previous thread, lots of people concurred. You're not alone! Although we have no idea why this happens :blushing:
  • pshontz
    pshontz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mine did that when walking and doing aerobics. My podiatrist said your feet swell when you work out so you might try sneakers that are maybe a 1/2 size larger. That's worked for me.
  • Kainn
    Kainn Posts: 1
    Options
    Just so you know, my wife and myself also have the same problem on the elliptical. We both just push through it, I have a feeling it is the motion of the machine.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    my theory is that since you never lift your feet off the pedals, they start to fall asleep. When you're walking or running they have a change in pressure on your soles as you plant and lift your feet.

But IDK???
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem on the elliptical as well, its more of a numbness though I guess. I was going to try buying new tennis shoes half a size bigger and in a wide width.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the laces up too tight? Sometimes I find that if I do, my feet dont circulate/breathe too well during exercise.

And on the elliptical your feet are in one position all the time, so more likely to cease up.

You could try changing socks too - to breathable/sports socks.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Well, I am glad it just not my feet! :) Thanks guys, you just saved me some money. No new shoes for me!!!
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem because I found I always put pressure on the balls of the feet and toes, instead of using the whole foot like with the walking motion. It took some practice and doing, but rolling my feet from heel to toe helped immensely.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I lift and squinch my toes on each step and it seems to reduce it too.

Good luck !
  • currychick1
    Options
    I think its a circulation thing going on. That has been one of my issues and why I haven't been logging in. I have been dealing with slightly swelling ankles. My doctor says my body has been retaining more fluid than normal, but I believe it's my weight. I was put on diuretics and there is no way I can take diuretics and do outside exercises, (without needed to release the water). I have noticed though, my feet don't feel numb anymore and the swelling is slowly but surely going down.
  • corralled4ever
    corralled4ever Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This caught my attention because it used to happen to me also. I had a neuroma (google it) in my foot. If it keeps happening, you may want to have your foot checked out.
    edit: thinking about it more, it was my toes toes that used to burn and tingle, not necessariy fall asleep. Sorry, it's been about 6 years since it happened to me & I had to think about it! Good luck!
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Happens on the stationary bike too. Try lifting your feet off the pedals when you step up, the weighting and off weighting of your feet will help the blood pump in your feet, increasing circulation, decreasing numbness. Also the tips of loosening laces, etc should help as well.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This happens to me regularly when I run and when I walk in a variety of shoes. I have a doctor's appointment next week, and I was actually planning to ask him about it then.
  • tater8589
    Options
    My feet do that too, on eliptical, bike, treadmill, track and trail. Even my hands will do it. I have mentioned it to my drs many times... one of them actually told me to start taking asprin cause he didn't know what was wrong, just that it wasn't normal... uggg. My best guess is that my recent diagnosis of hypothyroid may have something to do with it. Though, your shoes might be to tight??? Good luck :)
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone---- I appreciate all the feedback! :flowerforyou:
  • mam734
    mam734 Posts: 21
    Options
    I solved this by rolling or lifting my heals up when running on the elliptical. Haven't had the problem since I've started this.