Macro Settings and Weight Loss (Endurance Athletes)

Options
Hey Guys,

Okay so basically I'm an endurance athlete (running and swimming a pretty intense hour a day) and I have a C/F/P macro's set for 50/20/30. My goal is to lose a bit of body fat.

Anyways I eat a lot of fruit (100g of blueberries at breakfast, 120 grams of bananas after my run, another 100 gram banana at lunch and around 200-300 grams of apple as a snack in the evening). That's a lot of fruit.

I know fruit spikes my insulin by introducing glucose, so I guess basically I have a lot of glucose all day long. This I haven't had this diet for too long and I'm just wondering what anyone's opinion about my macros, my fruit intake, and my goal would be.

How is eating that much fruit going to effect my fat loss? Does it just slow my metabolism lowering the amount of calories I burn the rest of the day? Are there other effects that could hinder me? Also if you care to comment on my Macro settings I'd appreciate that.

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

Okay so basically I'm an endurance athlete (running and swimming a pretty intense hour a day) and I have a C/F/P macro's set for 50/20/30. My goal is to lose a bit of body fat.

Anyways I eat a lot of fruit (100g of blueberries at breakfast, 120 grams of bananas after my run, another 100 gram banana at lunch and around 200-300 grams of apple as a snack in the evening). That's a lot of fruit.

I know fruit spikes my insulin by introducing glucose, so I guess basically I have a lot of glucose all day long. This I haven't had this diet for too long and I'm just wondering what anyone's opinion about my macros, my fruit intake, and my goal would be.

How is eating that much fruit going to effect my fat loss? Does it just slow my metabolism lowering the amount of calories I burn the rest of the day? Are there other effects that could hinder me? Also if you care to comment on my Macro settings I'd appreciate that.

"fruit spikes my insulin" - higher order sugars have less of an insulin spike. The only fruit I eat is a banana in the AM or after a run. Other than that, I try to get 100 gm of protein (we only need <= 1gm/kg of body weight), "some" fat, and the rest is carbs high GI carbs.

You'll lose fat through a caloric deficit. Where you lose that fat is driven by gender (women tend to have fat in the breasts and hips, men in the stomach) and family traits.

If you're running and swimming, I'd go with a higher percentage of carbs. Don't know about swimming, but runners need carbs.

My diary has been open to the public since I joined. Please feel free to review it.

While I was losing weight, I upped my protein to cut down on hunger pangs. My diet for the first 7 months was a about 800 - 1k net cals/day, which I describe as "essence of vegetable steam", so hunger could have been an issue for me. Thanks to a higher percentage of protein, I was hungry only 5 times in 7 months.

After I started running (June 6, 2011), I added more carbs and have been following pretty much the same diet I'm on now. It's not very exciting but it works, as witnessed by every test and exam I've taken in the past two years.

BTW, if you're into running, you might want to check out the "long distance runners" forum. There are some very knowledgeable runners over there, including a fellow who runs this site:

http://sciencebasedrunning.com/dave-munger/

He knows his *kitten* but I've never seen him toot his horn about it - I respect that a lot.