Smoked salmon anyone?

Options
OK - LOVE smoked salmon. However, I want a new preperation for it....instead of just out of the package like I normally eat it. Any healthy good ideas to liven it up?

Replies

• Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    I use it as part of a pasta sauce.

cut up a handful of cherry tomatoes and throw them in a hot-ish pan, stir them around a couple of minutes, add in a couple of tablespoons of lot fat creme fresh (sorry can't remember how to spell it, and spelling has never been my strong point..), shredded smoked salmon and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir, and then chuck in your cooked pasta to coat.

I tend to then rip up some fresh basil leaves over the top to serve.

Turn the pan down as you put the creme fresh in. I find it doesn't like being cooked too much and may split because of having so little fat in it. If you're making it with normal stuff then you have fewer issues.

My cooking style is a little rough and ready; I tend to cook by the seat of my pants... :wink:
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    i have made sandwiches out of smoke salmon before on a small whole grain roll (80cal) and flavored mayo(i think around 45 cal?) and a little feta cheese YUM
  • janamuma
    Options
    Sounds good!!! Thank you!!!
  • ej223
    ej223 Posts: 20
    Options
    bump
  • moreaudrey
    moreaudrey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I usually hate eating breakfast during the week but I can never say no to this "recipe" for smoked salmon eggmuffins

1 whole wheat english muffin
    1 egg or 2 egg whites (fresh or carton)
    1.5 oz smoked salmon
    capers
    red onion if desired

Slice muffin and toast it. Meanwhile, spray a ramekin with cooking spray and add the egg. If using whole egg, break the yolk. Add salt and pepper and any other seasonings you like (garlic and onion powder, cayenne, dill--whatever floats your boat). Cover with plastic wrap (make a small hole for air) and microwave for 45 seconds. You can probably figure out what to do with everything from here but for the sake of completeness, put the egg, salmon, capers and red onion between the two halves of the muffin.

You can also fry the egg in a small nonstick pan with some cooking spray if you like...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Great entertaining app...

Water Cracker
    Smoked Salmon
    Dollop of Horseradish Mustard mixed with Wasabi on top
    Couple of capers

Tastey little morsels.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Great entertaining app...
    Fab. I'll bring the wine. When's the party?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    hehehe :) if you're bringing the wine, it's as soon as you can get here, baby!!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love smoked salmon!!! my favorite way is with neufchatel cheese (its basically lowfat cream cheese) and capers on a bagel or bagel thin, yum!
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Make a 2 egg omelete, thin. Then place spinach, smoked salmon, thinly sliced cucumber, capsicum, capers and mix some ricotta cheese and horseraddish cream. then roll it up, delicous. :happy:
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    -toss into some scrambled eggs & capers
    -on toasted bagel thins with cream cheese and red onion (regular bagel is usually too doughy for me)
    -tossed with whole wheat angel hair pasta, fresh grated parm cheese, chopped fresh tomato and fresh basil leaves