Electronic body fat analyzer

Options
Has anyone tried one? How accurate is it? Any recommendations?

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    depending if you get scale type or hand held type, they give you a percentage as it only calculate the part of the body you measure with. Scales are with feet, and then there is the hand held model. For me, I am looking into the scale that has the hand held device as well. They give you a lot of info, but just remember, nothing gives you 100% accuracy.
  • SafariLara
    Options
    They tend to have a small error percentage. The most accurate test is actually the fat pinch method. Or so they told me at school. I dont know where you'd buy one of the pincher things though... haha
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to buy such an expensive piece of equipment unless you plan on becoming a profession body builder. Simply get a cheap pair of calipers. Even if it isn't 100% accurate, you can still measure progress over the weeks/months/years.

www.tinyurl.com/2ea2wm3
    Accu Measure Fitness 2000 Caliper
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    hydrostatic testing would be the best and most accurate way to check. but it can be pricey to have it done.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Callipers are troublesome because you cant always tell where you measured last or where it is appropriate to measure. Its easier to let someone else who's trained do that to take your measurements for you.

If you want an electronic at home device, stick with the handheld ones, I have an Omron body fat analyzer and as long as you take readings consistantly, only at one time of the day, before you eat and before you've had alot of water (I do it right after I've gotten up and gone to the bathroom) Its relatively accurate. Accurate enough to chart your progress!

Stay away from body fat analyzers in scales because usualy they dont work correctly, or they end up giving you a higher percentage of error because they measure through your legs: a part of the body that generally has more fat in it than your arms and upper torso.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I use a caliper ... or you could pay for the hydrostatic testing
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to buy such an expensive piece of equipment unless you plan on becoming a profession body builder. Simply get a cheap pair of calipers. Even if it isn't 100% accurate, you can still measure progress over the weeks/months/years.

www.tinyurl.com/2ea2wm3
    Accu Measure Fitness 2000 Caliper

I have the 3000 ;) haha you can get it at GNC :)
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I have both the hand held monitor and the caliper. Not a fan of the electronic version. There seems to be a 5-8% difference (higher reading) in the electronic than the caliper.