I am going to finally learn to cook

TwiFan5
TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I am finally going to learn how to cook so was looking for healthy one person meals that include things like bananas, my nan is going to help me learn how to cook vegies and meat so I want to learn how to make meals and desserts that are low in calories and fat. I am going to write down recipes and put them in a few books for future reference, thanks for your help.

Replies

• mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/1 Point Recipes

its a weight watchers website but alot of the stuff on there is good low cal stuff
  • TwiFan5
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/1 Point Recipes

its a weight watchers website but alot of the stuff on there is good low cal stuff

Ok cool, that's ok, thanks
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    I want to recommend allrecipes.com as a great resource for cooking and recipes. Also supercook.com is great, because there you enter the ingredients you have in your kitchen and it finds recipes for you using only those ingredients.

The most important thing about cooking is learning to know your own taste, and the tastes of your family, so as to adjust recipes appropriately. For instance I know that in every recipe I ever make, I should always add more onions than is called for, but less salt. Another thing is to try and get familiar with the flavors of a variety of spices and herbs in their most basic form, to give you an idea of what it will do in a recipe. So find recipes that only call for one of them and understand it. Once you know which spices and herbs you like, the sky is the limit in using those to make delicious and healthy food you love without a real recipe.

These days I usually throw together a combination of meat, veggies, onions, and spices and serve it on top of rice and/or lettuce and it's always a big hit around here. It's never exactly the same, but since I know more or less what everyone likes I can pretty much make it something they'll like and just change it up based on my mood. And you know, if you're using healthy ingredients to start with, you'll have a healthy meal at the end, the main thing is getting it to taste like you want :)
  • TwiFan5
    I want to recommend allrecipes.com as a great resource for cooking and recipes. Also supercook.com is great, because there you enter the ingredients you have in your kitchen and it finds recipes for you using only those ingredients.

The most important thing about cooking is learning to know your own taste, and the tastes of your family, so as to adjust recipes appropriately. For instance I know that in every recipe I ever make, I should always add more onions than is called for, but less salt. Another thing is to try and get familiar with the flavors of a variety of spices and herbs in their most basic form, to give you an idea of what it will do in a recipe. So find recipes that only call for one of them and understand it. Once you know which spices and herbs you like, the sky is the limit in using those to make delicious and healthy food you love without a real recipe.

These days I usually throw together a combination of meat, veggies, onions, and spices and serve it on top of rice and/or lettuce and it's always a big hit around here. It's never exactly the same, but since I know more or less what everyone likes I can pretty much make it something they'll like and just change it up based on my mood. And you know, if you're using healthy ingredients to start with, you'll have a healthy meal at the end, the main thing is getting it to taste like you want :)

Ok cool, thank you for those websites, for now I am only cooking for myself but one day I will cook for more people.
This discussion has been closed.