Climate conditions -effect on COPD

Options
Hi,
I have COPD (emphysema in old money) and find that the climate conditions make a significant difference to my ease, or lack of, breathing. My lung capacity is 22% so the condition is quite severe. I find humid conditions adversely affect me far more than conditions around freezing or say 10 degrees below. I don't suffer from hay fever but have thought that days where there is a high pollen count make breathing more difficult. I would be interested to find out the numbers who are affected by:
Heat more than cold
cold more than heat
High pollen count.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I don't have COPD but I have it's cousin Asthma andI find that it's easier to breathe in hot weather than in cold - when it's freezing the air feels like knives in my lungs and I cough more and harder than ever. I don't have hayfever either but lately have noticed that as it's windy and the pollen is swirling in the air I am more phlegmy and coughing more (and more productively) than usual. We live in Southern California and humidity hasn't been an issue for me here (though I'm from Washington State and my cough was always dismal there, and of course the humidity is high a lot of the time there - but also a LOT colder there as well)
  • PurpleLogic
    Options
    I have both COPD and Asthma.. loads of fun! I grew up in a humid climate and I do not have any experience in a real dry one. I have always had Asthma attacks when there was any sudden change in humidity. So fall and spring is when I can feel it worst. I am in South Florida and when it is very very hot and humid I do feel more breathless and when the air is cold on those few occasions it gets me also. OH and I cannot take a shower in a closed bathroom without gasping.