$176,000.00

Options
jenniferv38
jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
I heard on the radio this morning that the average woman spends approximately $176,000 on weight loss products over the span of her lifetime. I know I haven't spent that much (I'm only 38 so I guess I have some time) but I know I have probably blown maybe $5000 on failed attempts at weight watchers, gym memberships I never used, weightloss "miracle" pills, slim fast, and diet books.

What is the worst thing you have spent a ton of money on to lose weight. For me, it would have to be weight watchers. I'm sure they are a great program but the last time I dropped about $200 for 12 weeks I gained weight the first three weeks and then quit. Money well spent.

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Once I bought a bottle of trimspa.
    That was it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Off the top of my head, I'd estimate wasting at least $500 on failed or half arsed attempts at weight loss. Joinng gyms but not going, joining WW but not doing the work, buying pills expecting miracles. Thank goodness I found MFP!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    Wow I am dragging that average down.

I think I have spent nothing.

Well $20 for a kitchen scale, that's it.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Did they say how someone could spend that much on weight loss products? Heck I've heard that pre-packaged meals from Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig are expensive but even assuming the average lifespan of 88 years, that's $2000/year from birth to death.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    It probably takes into account other foods they buy. Organic, whole food, etc. where it does add up. Say the average bill is $50 for just their diet food. Over 30 years, that's $72,000 in 30 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KatieLouWho19
    KatieLouWho19 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I would imagine they are also factoring in plastic surgery.. Lipo, abdominoplasty, and other things of that nature that can surely rack up the bill quite a bit....
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I spent $300 on the Body Makeover kit.

I lost weight, but as soon as I returned to normal eating habits, I gained it back. And I never really bothered with the exercise program after spending extra on their rubber bands.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I always knew I wasn't average.

This just totally proves it.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    $40 on alli, and $15 on new underwear.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    $300 or so for an elliptical machine, sold it on craigslist.
    $1000 on a treadmill, sold it on craigslist.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Not me, I don't buy into that quick weight loss crap.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I bought a South Beach Diet book once. That was it.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Original formula Metabolife (with ephedra), and it worked quite well for burning fat. The downside was that my heart felt like it was going to explode, I was always feverish, and too much energy, I didn't know what to do with it, so I was hyper. I could climb a flight of stairs in three seconds flat.

Then I guess all the Walter White / Jesse Pinkman wannabe's started using it to make meth, so the good people at the FDA pulled it off the market claiming that it was killing high school athletes, or some other unrelated tripe. Don't get me wrong, Metabolife was arguably pretty bad, but it's no secret why it was really pulled.

I spent $25 total.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I spent $17/month on WW for about a year - I had no extra money in the budget so I took the plunge knowing I would be blowing our hard earned money if I stayed fat, and that really motivated me to stick with it. For quite a while it was more motivating than the fact I was losing weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    It probably takes into account other foods they buy. Organic, whole food, etc. where it does add up. Say the average bill is $50 for just their diet food. Over 30 years, that's $72,000 in 30 years.

IDEA Fitness member
    Just read the article and this also takes into account gym fees, classes, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    $40 on alli, and $15 on new underwear.

Haha, this made me LOL!!!
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options