question about lifting for women

Options
casperkawa
casperkawa Posts: 19 Member
First I am about seventy pounds over weight, should I lose weight before starting to lift? I don't want to be fat and muscular.lol. and then I don't know how to get started. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The goal of lifting weights while on a deficit is to keep your existing muscle mass. It is much easier to keep what you have than to rebuild it later, so start now.

To get started look up a beginner program and stick to it. It should be simple, don't over complicate it. I follow stronglifts 5x5 but people also recommend starting strength and nrol
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No no no. Start lifting NOW...I cannot stress that enough. Lift heavy as in heavy for you.

I saw HUGE changes when I started adding lifting to my routine compared to when I did cardio alone. You will not get bulky, you will look fabulous.
  • NYCNJLIFE
    NYCNJLIFE Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From my experience start lifting and add in the cardio. Lifting gives quick results (increased strength, toned look- even under fat that needs to be lost) and that makes me stick with it better than in 6 months down the line blah blah blah.
  • PennyHarris123
    PennyHarris123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    what bluebombers says....DO IT!!! you won't regret it at all good luck!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    i second the BlueBomber! I wish I had started lifting when I first got serious about losing weight, instead of spending hours on a treadmill. I've been lifting about 2-3 weeks, and even though the scale hasn't gown down much (about .5 lb), i've lost inches, because my tight pants fit perfectly! (I couldn't get the button together before, and now I can...)
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Never wait to start lifting!

Building muscle is a great way to build confidence :) It's addicting! Muscle tissue takes up less space than fat & if you've got yourself in a nice deficit, plus a little cardio (HIIT works wonders!) along with a 3-4 day lifting split separating each body part, you'll see & feel progress!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Definitely start lifting now! You won't regret it. It's so much better than cardio alone. Find a beginner's program, there are tons out there. I'm currently doing Jamie Eason's Live Fit program on bodybuilding.com. It utilizes more machine work in the beginning, but it worked out well for me being new to lifting and not having as much access to free weights in my apartment gym as a regular gym. Good luck!
  • Kiki829
    Kiki829 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This was going to be my question, too. I need to lose about 130 pounds (that's my goal!), but I am currently training for a half marathon in September. I *want* to start lifting, but I'm terrified of the scale not moving. Ack...just to get over the mental part of it. I have a lot fo free weights at home, and a barbell (although that is too heavy for me to lift right now). Is it super embarrassing if I have to start with 10 lb weights for my arms? Do I add weight each week? You ladies are definitely inspiring, so keep it coming!!
  • bmannen1
    bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have the more fat you burn while doing nothing making weight/inch loss faster. In 5 weeks of doing stronglifts 5x5 I have lost 8 inches. Make sure that you take measurements and pictures and rely on that not the scale (easier said then don't I know).
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    This was going to be my question, too. I need to lose about 130 pounds (that's my goal!), but I am currently training for a half marathon in September. I *want* to start lifting, but I'm terrified of the scale not moving. Ack...just to get over the mental part of it. I have a lot fo free weights at home, and a barbell (although that is too heavy for me to lift right now). Is it super embarrassing if I have to start with 10 lb weights for my arms? Do I add weight each week? You ladies are definitely inspiring, so keep it coming!!

Start wherever you have to. If 10 lbs is what you can do, 10 lbs is where you should start. Try to add weight or do more reps each time you lift. Get on a solid program like Starting Strength, or Stronglifts 5x5. You could also see if you can find a cheap standard straight bar used or something. I have one that weighs 10 lbs. That'll get you started until you can use the 45 lb barbell.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    As everyone has already said....START LIFTING NOW!!! You will also not "bulk" up as women can not get big like men without a TON of work and major diet changes.

By doing just cardio on a deficit you will actually lose muscle if you aren't eating enough. Start lifting, eat more protein and less carbs and you will build muscle that will help to burn more calories when you aren't working out. You will start to see changes even if your weight doesn't drop a lot; your body will start to burn fat and create muscle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No no no. Start lifting NOW...I cannot stress that enough. Lift heavy as in heavy for you.

I saw HUGE changes when I started adding lifting to my routine compared to when I did cardio alone. You will not get bulky, you will look fabulous.

This.

There are zero reasons to wait to start lifting and about a million to start yesterday!!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

This.

There are zero reasons to wait to start lifting and about a million to start yesterday!!!

Yes, yes, yes. I started in January but didn't do anything but cardio until mid-March. Really wish I could go back and start lifting from the beginning. DO IT. Lift heavy weights (heavy for you) and be awesome.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    lift weights now. you can do cardio if you want. eat less calories than you burn.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Along with the links up above...
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wish I started lifting from day one.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Definitely start lifting NOW. The only reason I do cardio now is so I can eat more food, LOL. Since I started lifting, I have seen improvements in my body shape. I was losing just fine before lifting, but that was mainly just the scale moving. Now I am seeing progress in other measurements. Plus, I feel like a badass. :smile:
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I agree with llamapants86's post... I actually had that happen to me, I did not lift while loosing most of my weight I wanted to, and in turn I lost muscle mass because I was not strength training/lifting.. and it is much harder to rebuild muscle than it is to lose it. I think the word is called "Skinny-fat", where you are skinny, but have fat because you lost and did not build muscle and strength train to keep the muscle you do have.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!