I'm out of control!

Options
OMG I need to get a grip!!! For a little over a week I have been eating sooo bad. I've been eating out, eating ALOT. It's because I'm getting my period any day now but ughhh! I havent gone to the gym since last thursday and I only went twice last week at that! (I AM going to the gym tonight!)
I feel so gross :( ughhh. I really am loosing control. I'm so hungry all the time no matter what I eat!

HELP

Replies

• mary020378
    Options
    we all have that problem at that time of the month. i will give advice that i should probably take. but we all get cravings during our period but what we really crave is vitamins. just stop and think what is in that food especially the unhealthy foods. then when you figure the vitamin that you think you need then pick a healthy food that has that vitamin in it. i know i really don't follow that rule all the time but when i do it does help and i don't binge on food half as much then.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm eating out today. However I have my meal planned. Going to have a philly cheese steak for lunch and Tomato soup for dinner. Had 2 boiled eggs, 1 slice of toast with margarine, and a glass of orange juice for breakfast.

So what I am saying is to just plan. If you want to splurge remember you can eat more tomorrow and just make it through today.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have found that by eating six small meals a day I don't get the "hungry horrors". When I miss a meal I end up wanting to just keep eating.

A meal can be as small as an apple or a couple of rice cakes, but it makes a difference. It has something to do with keeping a low dose of sugar (glucose?) in your blood stream.

To use a campfire metaphor you need to keep feeding the fire small amounts of kindling so that the big logs(stored body fat) will continue to burn. If you let the fire go out, you are not burning those big logs and you will need to add much more fuel to get it going again.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    You should not be starving if your eating the right foods. I know about the cravings and when your eating is cleaned up and consistant those cravings are hardly there or gone! Find it grab hold and get back in control. We all have moments in life and that is just being human. I know if i wait to long to eat or skip a meal it makes things harder and I want to over eat. So 5-6 times a day with combos of protein and complex carbs. Make sure your calories are not too low
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    we all have that problem at that time of the month. i will give advice that i should probably take. but we all get cravings during our period but what we really crave is vitamins. just stop and think what is in that food especially the unhealthy foods. then when you figure the vitamin that you think you need then pick a healthy food that has that vitamin in it. i know i really don't follow that rule all the time but when i do it does help and i don't binge on food half as much then.

I want french fries, and fried chicken. sooo what vitamins are in those lol. I just want fried greasy food! waahhh
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I was the same last week. Coundnt get enough food to satisfy me, snack, snack, snack, and I only worked out half my usual amount in a week as I just felt tired and lazy!! And yet last month I was astounded that my pre menstrual week went by without even craving a chocolate!

I think some months are just worse than others.

Dont really know the cure, as I just went with it, but I'm paying for it with a couple pounds on!

I just think that we are human and sometimes we need to just go with it. But I know I'll be shot down for that relaxed attitude...lol

Just remember, this is a marathon, not a race! Your mood and motivation changes. Your determination will be back!! I'm absolutely back on track this week :bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you want the tough love version? Or the fluffy, cuddly version? I can do both. :tongue:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    you want the tough love version? Or the fluffy, cuddly version? I can do both. :tongue:

Both. lol
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Funny Boss!!!
  • etrips
    etrips Posts: 22
    Options
    I look at posts like this and look at the word "because." Mentally we are something like 85% (just pulled that number out of the air but its somewhere up there) more likely to believe something if we give a reason for it. So perhaps in your mind the 'because' is PMS, in my mind I may "because" my family or the food around me... When it comes down to it though, whatever we are "becausing" is the thing we are mentally fighting against. So right now its You vs. PMS (or whatever the lady counterparts call it) now thinking in terms of You vs pms who do you think has a stronger will. Once I start thinking in these terms I start to feel silly, like exadurate it in your mind for a second, say Mc.D's double quarter pounder is what is being my because at the moment, maybe proximity is causing me to lose my resolve. Think about being in a stadium, like the gladiators. Throw on a helmet, some body armor and your wepond of choice, and then imagine fighting your because (cheese burger, feelings, time of day w/e it is)

I don't know about you, but when I see myself all dressed for war, and on the other side there is this burger laying in the sand, I feel almost silly thinking this thing has any power over me what so ever. I'm so much stronger then that craving or that feeling or whatever it is. This is war babe, and frankly me Vs. chessburger I'm going to win, you can do the same. Now I know this whole practise seems silly but its almost a form of self hypnosis. You take the thing which you dont want, make it small, greyed and not important and the thing you do want bright bold and detalied. Naturally your bring will begin to react accordingly...maybe this helps some of you....maybe its just me but its worth giving a shot, or a least another tool in the tool belt.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Both?? Baah, that's no good. since so many have given you the supportive, kinder, gentler version, I'll go with tough love.

HEY! Woman! Get your head out of your *kitten*!!!

You know what you need to do, so do it. You know as well as I do that this is nothing more than cravings, your body doesn't need all that junk! You know quite well that the only way to be healthy is to create good habits, creating good habits doesn't mean breaking your own rules for 1 week every month (or what ever, you know what I mean). You know this is coming, you know what it means, mentally prepare, be strong, and don't let your primal instincts get the better of your higher reasoning skills!

Once your habits are set in stone and you feel strong enough to resist urges, you can do what ever you like. But we all have urges, and the only way to resist them is to understand them and consciously NOT choose them.

I will reference my favorite post of all time (ok maybe I have a tiny bit of narcissism in me, but yes, it's one of mine).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/13618-the-dying-art-of-will-power

OK, tough love over.

Too much? Over the top? I don't know, I have a thick skin so sometimes I don't know what people can handle.

-Banks
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I look at posts like this and look at the word "because." Mentally we are something like 85% (just pulled that number out of the air but its somewhere up there) more likely to believe something if we give a reason for it. So perhaps in your mind the 'because' is PMS, in my mind I may "because" my family or the food around me... When it comes down to it though, whatever we are "becausing" is the thing we are mentally fighting against. So right now its You vs. PMS (or whatever the lady counterparts call it) now thinking in terms of You vs pms who do you think has a stronger will. Once I start thinking in these terms I start to feel silly, like exadurate it in your mind for a second, say Mc.D's double quarter pounder is what is being my because at the moment, maybe proximity is causing me to lose my resolve. Think about being in a stadium, like the gladiators. Throw on a helmet, some body armor and your wepond of choice, and then imagine fighting your because (cheese burger, feelings, time of day w/e it is)

I don't know about you, but when I see myself all dressed for war, and on the other side there is this burger laying in the sand, I feel almost silly thinking this thing has any power over me what so ever. I'm so much stronger then that craving or that feeling or whatever it is. This is war babe, and frankly me Vs. chessburger I'm going to win, you can do the same. Now I know this whole practise seems silly but its almost a form of self hypnosis. You take the thing which you dont want, make it small, greyed and not important and the thing you do want bright bold and detalied. Naturally your bring will begin to react accordingly...maybe this helps some of you....maybe its just me but its worth giving a shot, or a least another tool in the tool belt.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I :heart: this! :flowerforyou:
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Do you watch a lot of TV? Here is something that around that time will get me EVERY time. If I watch TV that isn't prerecorded, I WANT and HAVE to have whatever TV commericail comes on...so if there is an Arby's commercial I am like "DAMN I WANT CURLY FRIES!!!" And I will jump over, slam down, and push out of the way anything that comes in between me and Arby's. OR I see a commericial for skittles and I think to myself you know what sounds amazing...and somethign every girl needs, espcially me because I've been extra amazing lately and heck i'm going ot start TOM soon so why not, I DESERVE some skittles. And then I am on my way and nothing can stop me from getting some skittles. SO instead when I know I will be overly enthused about food or sweets I won't watch regular TV...I will record everything and watch it that way...THen when commericail come on I fast forward through them...AND when I watch the shows I jog in place while they are on. This way I get an adrenline rush, I feel good, and I got my exercise in while watching TV. PLUS I got through it without any cravings. NOW about eating out...I eat out all the time...you know this you see my diary...but I also try and plan everything out, and exercise my booty off before or after I eat whatever it is that will make me go over. I am not going to give up my lifestyle of going out sometimes, but I also try to moderate everything. I also have off days, you know this, but I try to log every day if I can. You can do this, you just have to keep yourself out of temptation or have a set plan before you enter the temptation building (restrauants, stores, etc...) and stick to that plan. So I love chicken strips...so when I go out to eat adn I want chicken strips...I only allow myself whatever I have already added to my diary. Some days I am better at this then others....but I try. No one can be hurtful and you can't feel guilty about it, if you are trying. You CAN do this! And do you know how I know you can do this? BECAUSE I DID AND STILL AM! I didn't think I could, and most of my friends think I am crazy for not eating that donut they offered me when we hang out or whatever, but I do not take it and I let them think I am crazy. I still go out, I still go to parties, I still drink, I still eat cake...but You can have your cake and lose weight too if you use moderation and planning to help you out. Good luck with everything. :) You know we are here for you!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Both?? Baah, that's no good. since so many have given you the supportive, kinder, gentler version, I'll go with tough love.

HEY! Woman! Get your head out of your *kitten*!!!

You know what you need to do, so do it. You know as well as I do that this is nothing more than cravings, your body doesn't need all that junk! You know quite well that the only way to be healthy is to create good habits, creating good habits doesn't mean breaking your own rules for 1 week every month (or what ever, you know what I mean). You know this is coming, you know what it means, mentally prepare, be strong, and don't let your primal instincts get the better of your higher reasoning skills!

Once your habits are set in stone and you feel strong enough to resist urges, you can do what ever you like. But we all have urges, and the only way to resist them is to understand them and consciously NOT choose them.

I will reference my favorite post of all time (ok maybe I have a tiny bit of narcissism in me, but yes, it's one of mine).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/13618-the-dying-art-of-will-power

OK, tough love over.

Too much? Over the top? I don't know, I have a thick skin so sometimes I don't know what people can handle.

-Banks

Lol thanks. I will read that. I appreciate the tough love. you didnt make me cry or anything so its all good lol
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I :heart: this! :flowerforyou:

ya well now i want a cheeseburger! lol jk. that is a good idea
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    SHBoss1673 and ETRIPS - I wish you could see me bowing to you both right now! I don't know about the original poster but BOTH of your responses struck a much needed cord in me! Thank you both for very REAL talk. Put it all in perspective. I'm printing this out so it's readily available when it's my "lady time" and I'm facing these demons. Anyway, thank you BECAUSE it was timely calorie-saving advice, at least for me.

*smooches
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    SHBoss1673 and ETRIPS - I wish you could see me bowing to you both right now! I don't know about the original poster but BOTH of your responses struck a much needed cord in me! Thank you both for very REAL talk. Put it all in perspective. I'm printing this out so it's readily available when it's my "lady time" and I'm facing these demons. Anyway, thank you BECAUSE it was timely calorie-saving advice, at least for me.

*smooches

I'm always good for a few "tough love" sessions. When ever you need a little slap upside the head, just give me a buzz. :wink:
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Word!
    <---puts on football helmet...There that's better.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    It's so hard to resist the siren song of food during that time of the month, but recognizing that your hunger and cravings are caused by your hormones and treating them accordingly can help. I just spent an entire WEEK fighting pre-menstrual cravings. I took them one craving at a time. Sometime's I threw the food I was about to consume in the trash can. Other times I was able to take a breath and the craving would pass. Calorie-free beverages are a life saver during an extended period of intense cravings.

Definitely start fresh and take it craving by craving. You can do it!!!
  • Gntlplaces
    Options
    Great job! You inspire me to never give up!