Can't get into first gear. ]Should I cut the carbs?

Options
OK, so I've been at this for four weeks. Logging accurately. Weighing with a food scale. Measuring with cups. Nothing lost. Not one single pound. I'm a 5'8 35 year old man. The TDEE calculators say I should be able to lose a pound a week at 2032 calories. I actually thought that sounded a hair high, so I backed off of that by ~5% and tried to eat around 1900 cals for the first three weeks of this weight loss attempt. Last week, I found I hadn't lost any weight at all, so I backed off another ~10%, down to 1700. Again, this week, nothing. Weighed yesterday and today to account for minor fluctuations in water retention, and it's steady-Eddie at 188 pounds.

When logging, I would say I overestimate in most cases, to be conservative. Like, when my wife roasts something in the oven, such as kale, I log that I've eaten a tablespoon of olive oil, to account for the amount on the kale. I know the first response is for people to think I'm not logging accurately, but I actually work in a clinical laboratory setting. I'm quite comfortable and adept with measurements. The logging is accurate in cases where I'm preparing the food. My wife makes dinner before I get home from work, and as I mentioned, I generally assume she's got a heavy hand with stuff, to be safe.

I work on a college campus and walk at least a quarter of a mile a day--again, conservative estimate, it's probably more. I converted to a standing desk at the beginning of the new year, so when I'm not walking, I'm standing. I'm on my feet for 8-10 hours Mon-Fri. I do some minor work in my garden on the weekends, and chase around my toddler & 11 month old.

I've been exercising with Stronglifts 5x5. Three times a week, since this started. I love it. I have been making progress, and I feel great. Although I'm discouraged about the weight loss, I feel my fitness and strength have improved. But my clothes aren't fitting any differently, and I'm not seeing any movement on the scale. I do not log anything for the exercise calories burned for these sessions, so obviously, I don't eat the cals back.

I don't feel like I should cut calories any more. I go to bed a little hungry some nights, but have been trying to fight this by eating some 0% yogurt. I've had success in the past by going on extremely low carb diets, but I have been trying to avoid that, this time, because it really changes the way I eat, and I find it to be burdensome and inconvenient to constantly figure out ways to avoid eating a sandwich.

I have read/heard a lot of anecdotal advice about low-carb stuff, and as I mentioned have even had some success with it, myself. Are there studies saying some people are just better at utilizing the caloric energy in carbs than others? For the carbs I'm eating, is my body somehow holding onto those calories?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Give it more time.

Weight lifting can cause water retention as the muscles try to repair themselves. It's not uncommon to stall for 4-6 weeks when first starting a lifting program. Keep lifting heavy, fuel yourself (definitely don't cut calories any more) and be patient. If after another few weeks you're still not seeing results (either on the scale or via measurements) then I would look again and see about changing something.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Going low carb for a little while would definitely cause you to see a drop on the scale because you'd lose water. As soon as you begin eating more calories again, however, some of that lost weight will return. I personally lose weight far more easily when I cut carbs over a long period of time. However you are correct that it's difficult to maintain when you have a family who is not eating the same way.

Not eating a "sandwich" is actually pretty easy. Roll lunchmeat and a slice of cheese together, wrap in a romaine lettuce leaf and voila! Or I'll eat tuna salad using celery stalks to scoop it out of the bowl, no bread needed.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs is not necessary.

Give it time, weight lifting can screw up the scale.

Are you measuring your body? I tend to rely on measurements for progress since I weight lift and my weight fluctuates a lot due to water retention.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for different or more opinions? This is an exact copy/paste of your post from earlier.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1318439-can-t-get-into-first-gear-should-i-cut-the-carbs
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    Are you looking for different or more opinions? This is an exact copy/paste of your post from earlier.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1318439-can-t-get-into-first-gear-should-i-cut-the-carbs

I'm sorry, no, I think I did something wrong when posting. Maybe tried to delete the "]" in the title, and accidentally hit "enter" and then went back in the browser and ended up double posting. Sorry for the confusion.

I thought this topic was dropping off the page, thanks to all that are offering advice here, I was looking at the other thread.