5:2 diet

Options
I'm looking for people's options on the 5:2 diet, has it worked for you??

I'm at a plateaux after losing 6.5 stone and want to shake up my weight loss. I have about a stone to go.

Thanks

Replies

• little_waa_
    Options
    It's worked for me before. Did it to get to my low weight of 130lbs, was eating 500 on the fast days and 1500 on the other days. I know you're not meant to count but I did.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Lots of support and advice on this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

Short answer - it works for some people, but not all.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'd rather happily eat my 1600 calories every day and watch the weight slip off than starve my body of the nutrients it needs.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'd rather happily eat my 1600 calories every day and watch the weight slip off than starve my body of the nutrients it needs.

This is a very ignorant comment. There are many benefits of fasting -- and it's just a different way of creating your weekly deficit. There is no "starving" your body of any necessary nutrients -- and you get the added benefits of fasting like increased insulin sensitivity and IGF-2 hormone shifts.

I plateaued for about 6 weeks doing more consistent daily calorie restriction to hit my goals. After reading up on some of the benefits of fasting and 5:2, I thought I'd give it a try. And that's what broke through the plateau for me. I started losing again in line with my weekly deficits. And, I found it to be very easy. I thought I'd really struggle on fast days, but nope, it was shockingly easy. And it was nice to eat more on feed days. So far, I really enjoy it and would recommend it to others.
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Switching caloric timing without changing overall weekly intake will not do anything for you. Caloric timing is largely irrelevant.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Switching caloric timing without changing overall weekly intake will not do anything for you. Caloric timing is largely irrelevant.

If this were true, then why do people that fast see greater benefits in their insulin sensitivity and IGF-2 shifts? There are benefits to fasting in certain ways.
  • psicocat
    psicocat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just wanted honest options on how people have or haven't got on with it. I know it's not for everyone, but after reading up a lot on it I can't see any problems from a nutrients point of view. I'm more interested as to whether it's a worthwhile temporary solution to my plateaux situation.

Thanks again
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a modified verion of it on and off for a year. While I didn't lose weight on the scale, my body fat dropped, in a ver noticeable way.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

If this were true, then why do people that fast see greater benefits in their insulin sensitivity and IGF-2 shifts? There are benefits to fasting in certain ways.
    BOth of you are correct actually.

For the most part...meal timing and such doesnt matter when people ask if they should eat 3,4,5,6 meals a day, or not after a certain time of day, etc.

But when you get to a fasted state, there are benefits medically that have been reported in studies that go beyond weight loss and simple cal in and cal out
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I don't have any scientific proof to back me up but after I started practicing IF, i haven't suffering from any low blood sugar like symptop, like shaking, heavy sweating or even black out...