Lap Band

Options
Hi. I've recently won a "contest" for free lap band from a very reputable doctor here in central Illinois. I have yo-yo dieted for a few years, losing 40, gaining 20, losing 10, gaining 30. You know the drill. I entered this contest figuring there was no way in heck I'd win, so when they called me to tell me I was a finalist, it blew me away. Then to find out 2 days later I was the winner, I think I'm still in a state of shock.

I go in for pre-op today, and surgery is scheduled for the 3rd. I would appreciate any words of wisdom, advice, good or bad anyone
would please share with me.

My goal is to lose at least 90 lbs, no more than 100lbs.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Advice:
    Bring a million and one questions to your pre-op appointment today! Make sure you have all your bases covered in regards to the surgery, recovery time, post op diet, working out, ect. Use this as a chance for you to make that final decision if this is the right choice for you. If you decide against it, don't be afraid to back out. It's free; you won't lose any money!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Advice:
    Bring a million and one questions to your pre-op appointment today! Make sure you have all your bases covered in regards to the surgery, recovery time, post op diet, working out, ect. Use this as a chance for you to make that final decision if this is the right choice for you. If you decide against it, don't be afraid to back out. It's free; you won't lose any money!

This sounds like pretty solid advice!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Wait...what? A contest?? Red flag! Red flag! Your insurance should cover it if you're eligible, and if you're not eligible, maybe you don't need lap band surgery in the first place. Just how overweight are you? They already scheduled surgery for you without ever having met you???

I had lap band surgery two years ago, but not before months and months and months of counseling, medical screening, nutrition classes, a workout routine, etc. I worked (and still work) with a therapist, a dietitian, a physical trainer, and my surgeon. You can't just walk in for a pre-op, ask a few questions, and waltz into the operating room!

If I were you, I'd cancel the appointment and do some research...and then do some thinking...and then more research and more thinking.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Questions I would want answered:
    Assuming everything is a smashing success, I lose 90 pounds and keep it off 30 years, what diet/exercise limitations will I face 30 years from now?
    Are there studies comparing excess skin complications (i.e. chronic infection) from lap band aided loss vs, weight loss not aided by surgery?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Questions I would want answered:
    Assuming everything is a smashing success, I lose 90 pounds and keep it off 30 years, what diet/exercise limitations will I face 30 years from now?
    Are there studies comparing excess skin complications (i.e. chronic infection) from lap band aided loss vs, weight loss not aided by surgery?

There are no diet or exercise limitations from lap band surgery.

I don't know the answer to your second question, but I'm guessing no.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Why didn't I know about this contest.....
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have been seen by the doctor a couple of times already. The objective to that was to see my health history, (ie signs of depression etc..) Today is the pre-op, where I get the diet restrictions until surgery on the 3rd.

I have heard nothing but positive comments from patients of this doctor. A friend had the surgery, as well as a co-worker, so as for it being a contest, I feel confident that there will be no concern there. To answer your question, I am currently at 244 when last weighed, so my goal is about 90-100lbs of weight loss.

The only reason I haven't gone through my insurance is because we have one of those policies that does not cover this procedure, otherwise I probably would've done it that way. Come to find out they won't even cover the removal procedure.

This contest was held locally. I guess this doctor does this every couple of years, and the local radio station does the advertising for him.

I am a bit nervous, but have heard mostly positive things. It's going to be a total lifestyle change.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Yes, total change. You need to prepare yourself for that, because if your excess weight is due to emotional issues with food (as it is with me), you're going to be thrown for a loop when you can't get your "fix." You've got to work with a therapist or counselor to learn how to cope with life and stress and depression without turning to food. For me it's a lifelong process -- like an alcoholic, I don't expect to ever be "cured," I'll just be in "recovery."

My insurance would only cover it if my BMI was over 40 and I had co-morbidities (hypertension, diabetes, insulin resistance, cholesterol problems, heart problems, and the like). My BMI was over 40 but in relatively good health, so I had to apply for special consideration, which I eventually got.

What about all the medical screening? I can't remember everything, but I had an endoscopy, lots of blood work, heart ultrasound, sleep study, psychological counseling, and they provided me with a physical trainer and a dietitian for 6 months. I had to lose a certain amount of weight before they would even consider me -- I think it was 10% of my starting weight.

As for "the removal procedure," you only have the band removed if you have serious complications. I would hope that your insurance would cover that, rather than let you get very sick and possibly die.

I don't know...this all seems so fast and superficial. I would be very careful if I were you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are groups for those who have had lap band or other weight loss surgeries. I'll bet you could get some good information there.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've recently won a "contest" for free lap band from a very reputable doctor here in central Illinois.

Ever heard of the Monkey's Paw?
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You have won surgery in a competition? What country is this in??
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The lapband has the highest failure and complication rate. Don't do it.
  • b5000r
    b5000r Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Ask about what post op adjustments are included. My friends wife had it and it took about 6 months to get the inflation of the band correct.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with billieljaime on this one. What I just don't understand -- and maybe someone who has had WLS can explain to me -- is how many people state they lost like 15-20 lbs on a restrictive diet PRIOR to surgery to prepare for surgery??? uh... if you can lose weight by dieting, why the surgery then?

I have not -- nor will I ever contemplate any WLS-- I've known too many people who have either gained all their weight back plus more, have had lifetime complications set in, or are dead because of this surgery... it's not worth risking my life over. Just because you have this surgery does not mean you have a free ticket to weight loss... you STILL have to learn behavior modification. And if you learn behavior modification, you lose weight... and THAT is something I DO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT.... I weighed 270 lbs (5'3") at my all time high... I would guess I am now about 1/2 that size -- don't know since I don't weigh myself... but I have gone from a size 26 to a size 4... all because I learned portion control, food group choices, and exercise. It's all about lifestyle change and no surgery in the world can teach you lifestyle change...
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You have won surgery in a competition? What country is this in??

It can only be America, surely?!

And no I wouldn't have the operation either.... What's wrong with losing the weight properly?!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The pre-op diet is a liquid diet to help shrink their liver for the surgery. Anybody can lose weight on a liquid diet.

Just like using equipment at the gym, WLS is a TOOL. It doesn't fix brain issues that cause you to overeat, but it can be used to help lose the weight. I would not recommend anyone to get any surgery until they address the issues that cause them to overeat. There are many people who go into the surgery who have unaddressed binge eating disorder issues and that is why they gain the weight back.

I have successfully maintained a 130 pound weight loss for nearly 4 years now since having the duodenal switch. It is not the easy way out. It leveled the playing field for me so now if I want to drop a few pounds (like to fit in my wedding dress) I have to diet and exercise just like everyone else.

I have to agree with billieljaime on this one. What I just don't understand -- and maybe someone who has had WLS can explain to me -- is how many people state they lost like 15-20 lbs on a restrictive diet PRIOR to surgery to prepare for surgery??? uh... if you can lose weight by dieting, why the surgery then?

I have not -- nor will I ever contemplate any WLS-- I've known too many people who have either gained all their weight back plus more, have had lifetime complications set in, or are dead because of this surgery... it's not worth risking my life over. Just because you have this surgery does not mean you have a free ticket to weight loss... you STILL have to learn behavior modification. And if you learn behavior modification, you lose weight... and THAT is something I DO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT.... I weighed 270 lbs (5'3") at my all time high... I would guess I am now about 1/2 that size -- don't know since I don't weigh myself... but I have gone from a size 26 to a size 4... all because I learned portion control, food group choices, and exercise. It's all about lifestyle change and no surgery in the world can teach you lifestyle change...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've recently won a "contest" for free lap band from a very reputable doctor here in central Illinois. I have yo-yo dieted for a few years, losing 40, gaining 20, losing 10, gaining 30. You know the drill. I entered this contest figuring there was no way in heck I'd win, so when they called me to tell me I was a finalist, it blew me away. Then to find out 2 days later I was the winner, I think I'm still in a state of shock.

I go in for pre-op today, and surgery is scheduled for the 3rd. I would appreciate any words of wisdom, advice, good or bad anyone
    would please share with me.

My goal is to lose at least 90 lbs, no more than 100lbs.

Thanks for any help.

I hope that appt goes well for you.

I would want to know a lot about
    ~the Anesthesiologist
    ~pain medicine after the surgery

In one of your posts your mentioned "removal."
    Talk to the MD about that. I am pretty sure that it is considered permanent.

Also ask about side effects of living with the lap band.

Good luck.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    So much misinformation here!! I'm on my phone and can't type great quantities right now, but I'll be back later to educate and inform!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    ADVICE?!

DONT DO IT

it is a dirty surgery, a cheaters way to weight loss, an american made "quick fix"

Do you now almost all WLS patients GAIN their orignal weight back plus more after about 5 - 10 years?

And why? Because they did not incorporate a life style change!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

DO NOT

tamper with the beautiful body God gave you, fix it on your own through will power and nourishing foods, and learning to live a healthier lifestyle that will take through the rest of your life...

please dont do this..........

that is my advice.

Never mind that I'm personally offended by your offhand, dismissive remarks. Read my post above and tell me if that's the "cheater's" way or a quick fix.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dirty" surgery, other than to belittle the procedure. Surely you can't really mean it's unsanitary.

Weight loss surgery was actually invented by a Swedish doctor in the 1950s. American surgeons picked it up in the 50s and 60s a little, but it was the Italians and French who really developed the procedures in the 1970s. As morbid obesity came to be recognized as an illness, and as it grew to epidemic proportions in the United States, more and more American surgeons became involved in the 1990s to the present. Now there are whole teams of researchers from the United States and several European countries working together to further research and develop effective procedures.

Do you know that almost ALL people who have ever lost weight in their lives will gain it back, plus more? It's not just people who have had surgery, so no need to pick on weight loss surgery patients specifically. It's people who don't understand or who are unable to change the way they eat.