Tipping your Hairdresser

Options
gert1985
gert1985 Posts: 53 Member
How much would you tip your hairdresser for $80 service?
She is the owner if that makes any difference.
The reason I ask is because I used my debit card and she ran it through for the amount
of the services only and I didn't have much cash to leave for the tip.
She normally asks before she runs the card if it's for the exact amount at which point
I tell her how much to add on...
Just wondering.
Also, do you tip your dog groomer?

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I tip my hair dresser somewhere along the lines of $15 - $20 depending on what's being done. My hair cuts are $59 and he bears my moods since I'm so picky about my hair. I tip more if there's color involved.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I've always heard that you need not tip the owner, but I feel weird about that (perhaps that's why she ran the card without asking you about a tip?). If they do a hard sell on me with the hair care products, I give less of a tip ... like $10 for $80 service. So much of that is overpriced, I just can't ..
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I have heard you're not supposed to tip the owner.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about this yesterday...they say the normal etiquette is to tip 10-20% as you would at a restaurant. I think regardless if they are the owner or not, they are still your hairdresser so definitely tip. :flowerforyou:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I tip at least $15 for $85 in service.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    15-20% depending how good the service was.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I generously tip when I have my hair done b/c it's therapeutic to me.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    My old hairdresser was also an old client of mine, so she would charge me about $80, so I'd give her $20 for an even bill, knowing that I'd pay more at another hairdresser.

The hairdresser I see now charges me $115 and I generally tack on $10-$20.

I pay $60 to groom my dog and I generally tip $5-10 depending on how much they butchered her.
  • KatherineLouise14
    KatherineLouise14 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I usually tip between $20 and $30. As an above-poster mentioned, it's therapeutic...and she provides the wine :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Reading some of the responses - do you all not see the same person every time? I see the same lady (a friend of mine), and I think everyone else at that salon always sees the same person as well.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I tip 5 dollars on my 20 dollar haircut, so I'd add an additional 5 for every 20 dollar increment.

Also, just tell her you'll bring the rest of the tip next time. She'll understand.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing my hairdresser for about 7 years and he owns his own salon. I still tip him even though he owns the place and I know he's loaded. I pay using my debit card on one of those little swipe things he has on his iPad. It lets you choose between no tip, 15%, 20%, 25%, etc. I usually do 15%, which ends up being about $15.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I did hair for a number of years in a rural area. My tips ranged from $2-$20 depending on the service. I tip $20 on a Relaxer cut, style which is normally an $80 service.
  • Always_Belle
    Always_Belle Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Unless it is horrible, I tip $10-$20. I'm an easy cut. No color and no straighteners so I'm kind of an easy customer IMO