Running/ Working out after miscarriage

Options
addiec1
addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
At 7 weeks pregnant, I had my first ultrasound of the pregnancy and discovered that I had a blighted ovum. I decided to attempt a natural miscarriage. Fast forward 3 weeks and I had my miscarriage. I feel like I lost a lot of blood and the cramping was horrible but I feel like I passed most of the tissue. Its been a week and half since I passed the tissue. I'm still bleeding a little but its pretty light. My doctor cleared me to exercise. Last Saturday (4 days after my miscarriage) I walked a 5k (pushing a double stroller with 60 pounds of kids) and felt great. I walked a 5k again on Monday and everything felt good. Tuesday and Today I attempted to run and it was awful. I couldn't get enough air, my quads and calves were cramping like crazy. I ended up switching to intervals both days and still had to quit after 2 miles. Has anyone had this experience? Is it normal? If so how long did it take for you to get back to normal in regards to exercise? I was running a 5k with no difficulty at a 9 minute mile in between my ultrasound and last week when I actually passed the tissue. I'm frustrated, running will help me move on and get to feeling like normal again but my body is not agreeing with me.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. :cry: Went through a similar situation a couple of years ago, and it took me awhile (weeks!) to get back on my feet and back up to speed on exercise. I started back with just walking around the block, building up distance as I felt stronger, and eventually eased back into running and weights.

I think the whole pregnancy/miscarriage process is a strain on the body - hormones are shifting, we've lost a lot of blood, etc - it takes time to build back up to where you were. Just take it slow, listen to your body, and make sure you're eating well and getting good rest.
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I'm sorry you had to endure a miscarriage too. Its reassuring that the difficulties getting back to where I was physically is probably normal. I guess I'm just going to have to be patient (which is not one of my strengths).
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I found recovery from a miscarriage after a blighted ovum more difficult than after a full term pregnancy. I was shocked at how depleted I was. I am sorry for your loss.
  • jhiqui
    jhiqui Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.
  • bohoT
    bohoT Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing a few years ago. I did a slow and steady couch to 5k program. Even though I ran 5k's before the miscarriage, I needed that gradual increase to get my body functioning again. You can find them just about anywhere - Pinterest is full of them.

So sorry for your loss! Glad to hear you are recovering :)
  • awood2785
    awood2785 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. I just had had a miscarriage June 7. I should have been 10 weeks, but baby only measured 8+5. I wasn't working out, but am hoping to get back into the swing of things and plan to start C25K soon. I've noticed that for the past couple of weeks I've been feeling drained both physically and emotionally, so I'm hoping that easing into it will give me more energy.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!

I'm wondering about your iron levels. I'd call your OBs office and talk to the nurse.