CLA supplements

Options
faramelee
faramelee Posts: 163 Member
I recently achieved my goal weight by following a relatively 'healthy' diet and regular exercise including circuits and walking. I was advised by a GNC representative to start taking CLA supplements. I'm researching it online but would like some human input please.

Thanks!

Replies

• sunshinsb
    Options
    I recently started taking CLA, two pills in the morning and two in the afternoon. I have been only taking it for a week, with no real diet or exercise changes and the weightloss has been minimal, however the fat rolls have diminished.

Within a week, I have lost 1 lb, 1 inch from my bust and 2 inches from my waistline. It is said to help reduce stored fat.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessary for fat loss. I wouldn't spend money on it. Studies have found that C.L.A. supplements can produce slight reductions in body fat, but that it may carry health risks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/29/health/29real.html?_r=0
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This may help:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17490954

Basically it says that it can be helpful primarily for the first 6 months, but becomes increasingly less effective by the time you reach 2 years.

Combined with the article posted by usmcmp (always a great source of info), if you're going to use it, then it should be for short-term use *only* to minimize any potential longer term health risks. I would say 6 months at the most.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    CLA is part of my supplement stack. My only suggestion is if you are going to try it they are cheaper sources than GNC. I get mine at Trader Joe's. It's very reasonably priced if it's something you want to try. If you have a Sam's club they also carry the GNC two package large bottle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Research shows very very moderate fat burn by CLA and it's mostly for obese people. People who are just fairly overweight see little results with CLA.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I recently achieved my goal weight by following a relatively 'healthy' diet and regular exercise including circuits and walking. I was advised by a GNC representative to start taking CLA supplements. I'm researching it online but would like some human input please.

Thanks!

I'm sure a GNC representative earning a commission is a perfectly unbiased source on CLA too. Good source of CLA if you want to get more? eggs. they're nice and high in protein, too.
  • tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Most CLA(conjugated linoleic acid) sources come from Safflower oil, its a garbage omega supplement and not really worth a damn for weight loss. Stick with a caffeine based thermogenic or "fat burner" to really see any results, all results will be mainly due to the appetite suppression from the caffeine... Orrr try OTC Ephedra the one and only true fat burner.
  • krodfit
    krodfit Posts: 1
    Options
    Try it in combination with L-Carnitine (Liquid) - 3000 mg daily. Amazing results!!
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I was considering adding in a CLA supplement for a little bit (my moms sells one and will let me use her discount). I'm not sure if I want to spend the money though. I have been changing my diet being very active, but as weight loss has been my whole life, I lose so much weight on the top half of my body before I lose an inch on my hips/thighs (I'm a total pear shape). For those who take...is it mostly effective on belly fat (which I have very little of) or effective on wherever you store it?
  • tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Sadly our bodies cannot spot treat fat. It is a false myth that we can target certain areas of fat storage during weight loss. You have to lose overall body fat, and lower your body fat percentage, to be able to lose fat in those stubborn areas. Companies will use names like abb cuts, or abb igniter to get you to think that their product is targeted for belly fat reduction, but it is impossible to do with an oral supplement. Liposuction or a surgical procedure is the only way to "spot reduce".
    My best suggestion, is diet, exercise, drink tons of water, and look for a thermogenic fat burner like I stated above. Something will a modified form of caffine will be much more effective than an herbal fat loss supplement.